+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Help for inexperienced IT Technician in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi! I am currently working as a software developer as well as doing some fixes on networks, hardware and software ...

Thank Post

Help for inexperienced IT Technician

Hi!

I am currently working as a software developer as well as doing some fixes on networks, hardware and software for our customers. Unfortunately, I get more or less no human interaction during my day. As in it's me programming most of the time on my own and the company is me and my boss. So, I am now looking for something with more people. I previously worked as an IT technician part time at a univeristy this was dealing with software issues studnets had and also analysing what the hardware issue would be so they knew how to fix it. I'm just a bit unsure exaclt what I am looking for. Am I rghit in thinking that the sort of role that would allow me to fix computers and networks would be a network manager.

I have a Bachelors and Masters in computer Science, not sure if that helps me at all. I have found a job for a service desk manager near me would that help me get my foot in the door or is this a different type of job?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oogie View Post
    Hi!

I am currently working as a software developer as well as doing some fixes on networks, hardware and software for our customers. Unfortunately, I get more or less no human interaction during my day. As in it's me programming most of the time on my own and the company is me and my boss. So, I am now looking for something with more people. I previously worked as an IT technician part time at a univeristy this was dealing with software issues studnets had and also analysing what the hardware issue would be so they knew how to fix it. I'm just a bit unsure exaclt what I am looking for. Am I rghit in thinking that the sort of role that would allow me to fix computers and networks would be a network manager.

I have a Bachelors and Masters in computer Science, not sure if that helps me at all. I have found a job for a service desk manager near me would that help me get my foot in the door or is this a different type of job?
    Although you have got lots of education experience...

I'm not sure you'd get Manager positions without more experience (not knowing how long you worked at the University) but to be a Network Manager they would be looking for someone with practical experience in networks/servers/switches/budgeting/managing...

Service Desk Manager might be possible if you have a decent amount of service desk experience and good customer service examples?

Thank Post
    [
    Am I rghit in thinking that the sort of role that would allow me to fix computers and networks would be a network manager.
    Not necessarily. I am a primary schools ict tech, been doing this job 5 years in april and i came into this job by being a trainee ict tech for 6 months and a full tech for another 6 months. My job includes everything from pen drives to servers and networks. For instance tonight im installing a managed wireless system consisting of a wireless controller, poe switch and 8 new wireless points.

In my opinion id look for a full technician job and then try getting your head down for a couple of years, right now there doesnt seem to be many jobs for managers, maybe thats my area locally but either way, experience in education is your best bet. Id also look at doing something along the lines of a support professional qualification (computeach) which includes ITIL which is a management qual.

Either way dont let that stop you applying, only way youll learn if it is/isnt enough is by applying and requesting feedback from the people you apply to. Some will bullshit you, others will offer good advice.

Good luck =-)

Thank Post
    I don't have any management experience well not much. I got to manage the people I worked with at the university but I wasn't officially their manager just told to by my boss who will happily verify that. I've done some work on the service desk and can think of examples to put in. Currently, I keep getting good feedback from customers no how ncie and good at explaining things I am.

Thanks I shall keep on at it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread