+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Job opportunities for techies (and others) in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Have any of you that are job hunting considered 'virtual contracting'? I've just been listening to something on Radio 4 ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,019 Times in 1,493 Posts

Job opportunities for techies (and others)

Have any of you that are job hunting considered 'virtual contracting'?

I've just been listening to something on Radio 4 which led me to have a look at a couple of sites:
    oDesk | Changing how the world works
    Find Freelance Jobs & Freelance Work Projects at PeoplePerHour.com

You would work contract in hours and time periods to suit you (assuming you pick the right post to apply for) and would be self employed, so you'd need to sort out your tax, etc.

It wouldn't suit everyone, but if you haven't got work at the moment, or need to supplement something like this might be a good way of earning some money.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Have any of you that are job hunting considered 'virtual contracting'?

I've just been listening to something on Radio 4 which led me to have a look at a couple of sites:
    oDesk | Changing how the world works
    Find Freelance Jobs & Freelance Work Projects at PeoplePerHour.com

You would work contract in hours and time periods to suit you (assuming you pick the right post to apply for) and would be self employed, so you'd need to sort out your tax, etc.

It wouldn't suit everyone, but if you haven't got work at the moment, or need to supplement something like this might be a good way of earning some money.
    It's very hard to compete on these types of site. People will work for very little and you have to compete with that, it's very easy to give the impression you're local when you're based in another country :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,019 Times in 1,493 Posts
    It's still an option that might suit some though.

Thank Post
    Absolutely, just forewarning people :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post
    It's very hard to compete on these types of site. People will work for very little and you have to compete with that, it's very easy to give the impression you're local when you're based in another country :-)
    I worked on o-desk whilst my partner was pregnant to increase our savings, as long as you exploit the fact your native English speaking you can be very well paid (people don't like employing from other countries as the finished product suffers)

I made around $700 a month for a couple of months, but had to pack it in when baby came (it can devour a lot of your time, in order to keep your clients happy and meet deadlines)

P.S If I were to ever lose my job, I would supplement my income through these sites you could earn around a grand full time by my workings..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj88 View Post
    I worked on o-desk whilst my partner was pregnant to increase our savings, as long as you exploit the fact your native English speaking you can be very well paid (people don't like employing from other countries as the finished product suffers)

I made around $700 a month for a couple of months, but had to pack it in when baby came (it can devour a lot of your time, in order to keep your clients happy and meet deadlines)

P.S If I were to ever lose my job, I would supplement my income through these sites you could earn around a grand full time by my workings..
    Was that programming by chance? Any Delphi work I get is... not badly paid, anything systems based is poorly paid.

Thank Post
    Yes basic web programming fixed wordpress and other scripts and adjusting css, I steered clear of major design work as that involved long projects for less money (and too much risk if the client doesn't pay up).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread