+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, How technical to make application for VLE post? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I'm currently making my application for a VLE post, but I'm struggling to decide on how technical I should go... ...

Thank Post

How technical to make application for VLE post?

I'm currently making my application for a VLE post, but I'm struggling to decide on how technical I should go... Do you think it wise to leave out the names of the more specialized software and just say "Server Support" for example?

The application only mentions technical aspects of VLE and Web technology so I'm thinking more indepth here and less on the other bits.

Also does anyone have any guidelines on how long your description on what your current duties are should be, I've just finished the work experience section and I've only just got it under the word limit....

Any information or advice appreciated it's been a while since I last considered applying for a job and I'm a bit rusty.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    Depends on what was in their job spec'. Go for a combo, so you give them specifics, without too much detail, unless called for. e.g. Server Support including, Windows 2003/2008, SQL and Exchange. Include anything that could be linked to the VLE, but as you haven't mentioned which it is, you need to be more general, to catch anything they might be using. It's likely, the application will fall under the glance of at least one technical person.

Current duties again, stick to what's relevant, keep it short, but expand on anything linked to the job. So, anything related to web tech', VLE, even MIS systems needs more focus, than say basic maintenance, hardware support, etc. User support will be useful, but it depends on exactly what role you are going for. If you're expected to create and design systems, plus train staff, you'll need to mention training that you deliver etc.

It's just general advice really, make your CV / application fit in with their job and highlight the bits you think are relevant.

good luck

3. Thanks to vikpaw from:

mossj88 (23rd January 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,624 Posts
    I agree that you should keep the in-depth stuff for the bits of your experience that match the job description so yes, in this case, something like 'server support' may well suffice. As for job description, it is difficult to see what you mean without seeing it all. pm me for an email address and I will happily look at it all for you.

5. Thanks to witch from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Or what he said !

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Depends on what was in their job spec'. Go for a combo, so you give them specifics, without too much detail, unless called for. e.g. Server Support including, Windows 2003/2008, SQL and Exchange. Include anything that could be linked to the VLE, but as you haven't mentioned which it is, you need to be more general, to catch anything they might be using. It's likely, the application will fall under the glance of at least one technical person.

Current duties again, stick to what's relevant, keep it short, but expand on anything linked to the job. So, anything related to web tech', VLE, even MIS systems needs more focus, than say basic maintenance, hardware support, etc. User support will be useful, but it depends on exactly what role you are going for. If you're expected to create and design systems, plus train staff, you'll need to mention training that you deliver etc.

It's just general advice really, make your CV / application fit in with their job and highlight the bits you think are relevant.

good luck
    Many thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I agree that you should keep the in-depth stuff for the bits of your experience that match the job description so yes, in this case, something like 'server support' may well suffice. As for job description, it is difficult to see what you mean without seeing it all. pm me for an email address and I will happily look at it all for you.
    Many thanks for your kind offer witch, I'll pm you shortly

Thank Post
    is it a VLE development, administration or support role?

Have you experience of the VLE that they are using?

Thank Post
    No but they say

In-depth knowledge of Blackboard or another major Virtual Learning Environment. *
    It's a support role with course administration tied in. I'm thinking of signing up to a blackboard course that takes place mid Feburary then at least I can mention it in the personal statement box.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    Good, and also mention your ability to learn quickly, and cite examples of where you may have gone in with little or no knowledge and quickly adapted to whatever system was in use. Assuming you can do that of course

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj88 View Post
    In-depth knowledge of Blackboard or another major Virtual Learning Environment. *
    Which VLE have you used? Be worthwhile to compare the feature set to see if there are things that BlackBoard offers that you've no experience of and identify the areas that you feel comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by mossj88 View Post
    No but they say
    I'm thinking of signing up to a blackboard course that takes place mid Feburary then at least I can mention it in the personal statement box.
    Good.

Know any local school/college/university making use of it? You may be able to get a demo. On LinkedIn there is a BlackBoard LMS Administrators Group and a BlackBoard Developers Community which might be of interest for posting questions.

Good luck with your application.

12. Thanks to jdoyle from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread