+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, How to find all the vacancies you're interested in, in your area! in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Google, and most other search engines, provide parameters which you can specify to tune your searches, to enable you to ...

Thank Post

Lightbulb How to find all the vacancies you're interested in, in your area!

Google, and most other search engines, provide parameters which you can specify to tune your searches, to enable you to find the information you're looking for.

One such parameter is site:

the site: parameter will cause Google to only return results which relate to the domain you're interested in... including all subdomains!

so if you're looking for a Network Manager job in Cheshire, for example, googling: site:cheshire.sch.uk "Network Manager", will return all Network Manager references on any Cheshire school sites; which is usually only when the job is available.

Note: the quotes around the job title also indicate to Google that you are only interested in results which contain that exact phrase, as apposed to Network or Manager.

Another useful tweak, is filtering the results to the past month, to only find recent and likely still available vacancies. This can be achieved, either through the Google options side panel, or by appending &tbs=qdr:m to the search url.

Also: Adding extra keywords such as vacancy may filter out any unwanted results, however it may also reduce the number of results which are of interest, if they don't contain the word vacancy.

Give it a try, I hope your job hunting goes well.
    Last edited by el-aurian; 8th January 2012 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Added "Past Month" filter information

2. 2 Thanks to el-aurian:

fiza (9th January 2012), lionsl2005 (9th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Niffty trick, could also just limit it to site:sch.uk for all schools.

How about site:sch.uk vacancy "network manager"

Or: vacancy "network manager" site:sch.uk - Google Search

To limit to the last month of searches.

4. 3 Thanks to steve:

el-aurian (8th January 2012), fiza (9th January 2012), lionsl2005 (9th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Hi Steve,

Yeh, the past month limit is useful, i'll add it to my original post.

I did think about the sch.uk domain level, but i've noticed alot of people want jobs local to them, so I thought the county level domain would be more helpful for the majority.

.ac.uk domains are also worth considering as more school's become academy's.

Thanks,

Matthew
    Last edited by el-aurian; 8th January 2012 at 07:20 PM.

Thank Post
    problem being doing that, is not all schools have sch.uk domain, but most do so that's a pretty good idea.

Another way of doing it is find the council website(s) of the area your intrested in, then on that site you should find a list of schools and maybe links to there website, that way you can find all the schools in your area (I think)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread