+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, just a little advice in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; ...

Thank Post

just a little advice

Evening all

I know schools are closed now for Christmas but I was preparing myself now for the new year and I need some advice on a letter I'm writing asking if I could do some some voluntary Work at my local secondary school and I need some advice if the letter sounds alright, the letter is below minus personal details.

To Whom It May Concern:

RE: Voluntary Work

I was wondering if there is any chance if I could do some voluntary work within your ICT department as my career aim is to work inside a school IT department and the experience would help show future employers that I have had some experience within a school environment as my previous IT experience does not cover school environment and due to me now being unemployed and there being not that many roles for people that do not have previous experience working inside school that is why Iím asking if I could do a few hours a couple of days a week voluntary work just to get a bit of experience within a school environment, I have enclosed a copy of my CV to this letter and I hope to hear back.

Kind Regards

Steven Byrne

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,483 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That reads as a very long sentence! Break it up.

3. Thanks to nephilim from:

stevenbyrne85 (21st December 2011)

Thank Post
    I have taken your advice on my letter and have broke it up and it now reads like this

To Whom It May Concern:

I was wondering if there is any chance if I could do some voluntary work within your ICT department.
    My career aim is to work inside a school IT department and the experience would help show future employers that I have had some experience within a school environment.
    My previous IT experience does not cover school environment and due to me now being unemployed and there being not that many roles for people that do not have previous experience working inside school that is why I’m asking if I could do a few hours a couple of days a week voluntary work just to get a bit of experience within a school environment.
    I have enclosed a copy of my CV to this letter and I hope to hear back.

Kind Regards

Steven Byrne

Thank Post
    I agree with @nephilim. I would also include something about a CRB check - i.e that there (hopefully) would be no issues! If the school is going to get some free work you then I would expect them to pay for this (think it costs around £40) but do bare in mind these can take up to 6 weeks to come back.

Thank Post
    I know CRB are not transferable from one job to another but I do hold a current CRB I could always mention that in my letter

Thank Post
    Yeah I definitely would. It immediately makes the school aware that you know something about safeguarding in the school environment!

8. Thanks to fathead from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Mention that you have a CRB that is in date (whilst not transferable will allow for a fast refresh of the CRB which is cheaper than applying for a new one)....Below is how I would write it (also copy your CRB form on a photocopier or something!!)

To Whom It May Concern:

I would like to enquire if there is any chance that I could undertake some voluntary work within your ICT department - such as ICT Technician.

My career aim is to work within an IT department within the education sector and this volunteering would show that I am willing to undertake work, and I would be able to gain some experience. This would show any potential employers that I have had some experience within the educational environment.

My previous IT experience does not cover the education environment. Due to being unemployed and there being not many roles for people that do not have previous experience working inside the education sector, I am asking if I could do a few hours, a couple of days a week voluntary work in order to gain experience within the educational environment. This will benefit myself as well as yourself in that you gain an additional worker within the ICT team (thus allowing for better man management and resource allocation within the team).

I would like to mention that I have a current CRB that is in date, and I have enclosed a copy of my CV with the CRB to this letter and I hope to hear back.

Kind Regards

Steven Byrne

10. Thanks to nephilim from:

Thank Post
    Nephilim that sounds so good thank you

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You're welcome

Thank Post
    Introduce yourself, give them some background.

Tell them what you want, and why.

Sell the benefits to them, and clearly state what you hope to gain from it.

(oh, and that's one massive sentence, teachers more than any other employer will be quick to criticise poor spelling and grammar)

Good luck!

Phil

Thank Post
    ...like he said lol!

Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Mention that you have a CRB that is in date (whilst not transferable will allow for a fast refresh of the CRB which is cheaper than applying for a new one)....Below is how I would write it (also copy your CRB form on a photocopier or something!!)

To Whom It May Concern:

I would like to enquire if there is any chance that I could undertake some voluntary work within your ICT department - such as ICT Technician.

My career aim is to work within an IT department within the education sector and this volunteering would show that I am willing to undertake work, and I would be able to gain some experience. This would show any potential employers that I have had some experience within the educational environment.

My previous IT experience does not cover the education environment. Due to being unemployed and there being not many roles for people that do not have previous experience working inside the education sector, I am asking if I could do a few hours, a couple of days a week voluntary work in order to gain experience within the educational environment. This will benefit myself as well as yourself in that you gain an additional worker within the ICT team (thus allowing for better man management and resource allocation within the team).

I would like to mention that I have a current CRB that is in date, and I have enclosed a copy of my CV with the CRB to this letter and I hope to hear back.

Kind Regards

Steven Byrne

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,579 Times in 1,795 Posts
    Nice letter Neph!
    Go with that, it's good
    If you need any help with your CV, let me know

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,276 Times in 1,051 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There are still to many 'experience' in there I think (now down to 5). See if you can reduce it further as it reads a bit too repetatively IMO.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post

Kind Regards

Steven Byrne
    If it's current then it's in date.

Enclose with or attach to ...

I would also like to mention that I have a current CRB, a copy of which is enclosed along with my CV.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank Post
    I personally would say:

I currently have an enhanced CRB that is in date and this is available upon request.

(I wouldn't fire out my CRB everywhere!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast