+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Advice sought: Senior Technician to Manager in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi, I've been working at my current job for 6 years now and along the way I have gone from ...
    Thank Post

Advice sought: Senior Technician to Manager

Hi,

I've been working at my current job for 6 years now and along the way I have gone from ICT Technician to Senior Tech and my role has changed and grown lots. I like this school and enjoy the job but I want to take the next step and become an ICT Manager. I am liked and respected here and the quality of my work is always of a very high standard. My manager has successfully allocated some money for my Microsoft Certification (seeing as in today's world a degree in Computer Science means nothing) but I am not sure this will be enough.

My questions are:
    1- which are the best qualifications to get with a view to a managerial role? They havent been very specific about what training I can have but they gave me the link to the Microsoft Certification overview, which of course has Architec, Master and IT Professional in it.
    2- What else must I do to push my career forward, be it in this school or the next?

Next week I will have the final talks with regards to my new contract and will officially go from Tech to Senior Tech, though unofficially I've been the Senior Tech for the last 2 years. Is there anything specific I should ask for or check for during the meeting?
    I had prepared a short list of questions such as: is there scope for further development and things of that nature.

I believe that having been a tech for all of my after-uni working life and in one place, has kept me in the dark.

Any pointers and/or advice are greatly appreciated.

Thank Post
    Hi,

Your not alone, strangely enough I have the same amount of experience and have too put in lots of time and effort at two different schools to enhance my skillset and experience. Picking up Cisco certs, Microsoft Certs etc along the way. I am still yet to land a NM position and It's not because I am lacking in any way (per feedback) it is just that I have been very unlucky and in some interviews the panel has been looking for something specific with regards to future plans etc.

In response to your questions:

1) I wouldn't worry too much about qualifications, especially if you intend to stay in education, of course it's good to have them but most school's look at experience and your approach rather than how many qualifications you have.

2)If your a Senior Tech, you are pretty much already at the level of NM especially with regards to the technical side of the job. You just need to enhance the managerial aspect of things, all I can recommend is speak to your current boss and ask them if you could take on some additional management level roles to get some more experience for the future.

It is very difficult to make that step up to NM even if your ready. My old school never had a NM just 2 techies, Junior and Senior. I was the Senior so was responsible for the overall network but it is difficult and it really varies from school to school how they see an ICT Manager.

I think it's just the luck of the draw, if your being promoted to Senior Tech I would say your pretty much there. Senior Tech's in school's are sometimes referred to as Assistant ICT Manager's anyway...

Hope this helps!

3. Thanks to ahunter from:

Lukara (14th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ask to go on some management courses and try looking at open courses for management and conflict negotiation.

5. Thanks to nephilim from:

Lukara (14th December 2011)

Thank Post
    ahunter I can't get into too much detail out in the open, but the Net Manager I know got the job pretty much when I got mine and has no qualifications, hasn't got an IT background and is a 'yes' man. His Senior Tech runs the school... so I agree, in some cases it truly is down to luck.

With regards to Qualifications, I don't necessarily want to limit myself to schools, although the 30 days off a year are fantastic and not having to deal with clients is a bonus. So really I am looking to get the best MS Cert I can. With that in mind, which would be most useful for a person with my experience?

Thank you for your input and good luck on the job front

nephilim that's a great idea. thank you! I will ask next week at the meeting.

Thank Post
    Just be very confident in your interview, a course in only one tick box on the application they mostly care how you come off in the Interview and you know what you re on about and apply for loads of jobs and learn from the mistakes of the last interview!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukara View Post
    ahunter I can't get into too much detail out in the open, but the Net Manager I know got the job pretty much when I got mine and has no qualifications, hasn't got an IT background and is a 'yes' man. His Senior Tech runs the school... so I agree, in some cases it truly is down to luck.

With regards to Qualifications, I don't necessarily want to limit myself to schools, although the 30 days off a year are fantastic and not having to deal with clients is a bonus. So really I am looking to get the best MS Cert I can. With that in mind, which would be most useful for a person with my experience?

Thank you for your input and good luck on the job front

nephilim that's a great idea. thank you! I will ask next week at the meeting.
    Bad mouthing your manager is a no no unless its bullying

Thank Post
    irsprint does applying for lots of jobs -while one doesn't necessarily want to leave his current one- not give the wrong idea to the current employer? I would love to go to lots of interviews to learn, but at the same time I don't really want to lose my job because the school misunderstood my motives.

Quote Originally Posted by irsprint84 View Post
    Bad mouthing your manager is a no no unless its bullying
    Not my manager, and yes he is a bully from what all of his past Senior Techs had to say when running for the hills . My manager thankfully always has his team's back and as I said in my first message he went as far as allocating money for training, so I'm thankful.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukara View Post
    irsprint does applying for lots of jobs -while one doesn't necessarily want to leave his current one- not give the wrong idea to the current employer? I would love to go to lots of interviews to learn, but at the same time I don't really want to lose my job because the school misunderstood my motives.

Not my manager, and yes he is a bully from what all of his past Senior Techs had to say when running for the hills . My manager thankfully always has his team's back and as I said in my first message he went as far as allocating money for training, so I'm thankful.
    Why? if you want to leave you have to go to Interviews I ve always honestly gone to my bosses and said what I want to do and move on just behonest

Thank Post
    From my viewpoint, having a BSc or BEng is the way forward if you want to become a Manager, as well as having two or more certifications (e.g. CISCO, PRINCE, ITIL etc,) while you are working for your employer so you can demonstrate your hard and soft skills when you go for your job interview. Personally, soft skill is very important and it is very difficult to master.

12. Thanks to sulamnart from:

irsprint84 (14th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Are you going to be managing budget, people and the department, or keeping your hand in the tech, or both?

ILM is an excellent (if lengthy) qual to have and well recognised for management.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sulamnart View Post
    From my viewpoint, having a BSc or BEng is the way forward if you want to become a Manager, as well as having two or more certifications (e.g. CISCO, PRINCE, ITIL etc,) while you are working for your employer so you can demonstrate your hard and soft skills when you go for your job interview. Personally, soft skill is very important and it is very difficult to master.
    PRINCE2 is very important, you just need to show continued learning, some uni students think once they have a degree that it!

Thank Post
    Totally agree!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irsprint84 View Post
    PRINCE2 is very important, you just need to show continued learning, some uni students think once they have a degree that it!
    I completed my OU degree this year (finally, after 7 years!). I think sometimes it shows commitment to learning, but agree that just because you have the qual, you are entitled to a decent job and wage. NOOOOOO!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sulamnart View Post
    Totally agree!
    If a uni student came for a job with me and didnt have anything after that I would say 'and what else..?'

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ive been looking into the microsoft courses for some time but it seems the number of centers for training and examination are being dramaticly reduced [no idea why] and the price is getting higher. ive done the cisco CCNA Course and its definalty a great course interms of learning abought networks and networking and covers servers and communications from a difrent angle definatly worth haveing covers much more than just the cisco equipment. small issue with the CCNA it only lasts 3 years, but at least it keeps people current.

Interms of cisco there are far more courses to do than just the CCNA altho some only last 12 months.
    Last edited by januttall; 15th December 2011 at 09:03 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast