+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Just a little Advice.. in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Afternoon all, My name is David and I am fully into I.T, and am struggling to find anyone who will ...

Thank Post

Just a little Advice..

Afternoon all,

My name is David and I am fully into I.T, and am struggling to find anyone who will hire me... I have been giving out around 8 applications a day for the last 2 months and no one has gotten back to me.

I am 19 years old and live in Stow Maries... around half hour away from Chelmsford. Stow Maries has no transport, no trains or buses ( well buses every 2 and a half hours ) and I am currently working on getting my pink License.

I did an apprenticeship in Chelmsford when I left school.. and I started it at 16, finished when I was 17 and flew through the course in 9 months ( course was for at least 12 months ) I got all the qualifications required for most employers to consider me. I had then later joined a company in Shenfield and I had a fantastic time there, I learnt so much, within the Windows platform and various other platforms, such as networking, Active Directory group policies and so on... there is so much I learnt I struggle to recede it all :P

My problem lies with this.. I left the company due to a few problems and I have been really finding it hard to get a job... I have over 2 years experience working in I.T, from Hardware repairs to software diagnosis and I still can't find a job.

I don't know if its my age a poorly written CV or what, but it sucks. Due my location there is very little work in the surrounding area's and as I am in the middle of NOWHERE transport is a huge problem.

I am wondering if any one give me advice... I am really struggling here.

Thanks,
    - David.

Thank Post
    David,

Getting your driving license sorted out will open a whole new world of possibilities, so make that a priority.

I'm sure other people will be along soon enough to offer some actual advice though.....

Mic

Thank Post
    Tell me about! I am trying hard to pass the theory... but I get so nervous! I have one booked for the 23rd. So I hope all goes well.

Driving is really my main concern, but with no money its harder to pass and get on the road... and with no means of transport, as my mum is at work 45+ hours a week she hasn't time to take me places. Parents can be selfish some times, we have been living here for nearly 10 years, but no thought about when we grow up...

So any advice on passing my theory? :P

Thank Post
    In the short term you should be looking for any work. Being unemployed will look worse on your CV then being under employed. Depending on where you work you might even be about to use it as a way to get your foot in the door or make good contacts.

EDIT: And it'll mean you have money for driving lessons.
    Last edited by K.C.Leblanc; 9th December 2011 at 04:00 PM.

Thank Post
    @K.C

I know this, its hard. Especially when you have to walk everywhere! I have been looking around for bar work and the such, but again my CV hasn't got an ounce of customer service based retail or bar work at all.

Thank Post
    volunteer... pretty much anything to get more on your CV... help out at age uk day centre if you have to.

anything like that looks good on your CV, it'll help you start networking with people, you'll get asked to fix peoples computers, charge a little bit even if only to get some change for the bus!

Also, get on something like freecycle and see if you can get a bike to help you get around a bit.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,037 Times in 1,482 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As others have said, volunteering opens up opportunities - it shows you are willing to work, it shows you are dependable, it gives you a new reference!

Get the driving licence program from ebay and practice the test as much as possible. Its all about repetition with that test, the more you do it, the better you become. I know from experience, I cracked out the 40 questions in 9 minutes and passed with 38/40 because I knew the questions and answers. Same goes for the hazard perception test. After that, the rest is how you do on the road

Good luck and enjoy it!

Thank Post
    In the meantime get a bicycle, you're only two miles from the station.

Thank Post
    Maybe the Three Rivers Golf & Country Club require bar/kitchen staff....................................

rad
    Thank Post
    Where do your parents drive to for work? Could you not find work near to them, free lift and earning too.

I was local to you till I moved to Heathrow area, living and working in Chelmsford but driving to Braintree, Southend and anywhere in between as part of the job, so know of loads of places around. It may be worth applying for jobs anyway and see how far you get. You may have to move out/rent till you pass just so you are near to work. Hard but you need to make some allowances somewhere.

Sorry just brainwaved and realised where you are. You could very easily cycle to South Woodham, get on the train to Chelmsford or wherever. What about trying for jobs at ASDA etc.

When you go for your test, Ipswich is easier to pass in than Chelmsford. PM me if you like, I travel near to SM on way to Other half parents.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,793 Posts
    PM me for my email if you would like to send me your CV - I can have a look and maybe pinpoint where you are going wrong. BUT you need to be honest with me about the problems you had in your last job.

Thank Post
    A drivers license makes an IT technician very useful, alot of businesses will send people with some experience to site and not send the super knowledgeable ones as they support many remotely - I was in that position in 2007, I had to do that for a while... I didn't like it too much but I moved up quickly elsewhere.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    According to wikipedia, your village has a population of 200. Not a lot but that's potentially 200 people's computers you could be fixing. There should be practically no competition if you were to put some flyers out or knock on doors about fixing computers and related things. I should think you could get around on a bicycle. Every person you connect with has the potential of helping you in some way towards getting a job. Also join the table tennis team and see if there's any volunteer opportunities at the STOW MARIES AERODROME PRESERVATION PROJECT.

Thank Post
    Also join the table tennis team and see if there's any volunteer opportunities at the STOW MARIES AERODROME PRESERVATION PROJECT.
    Would that be bat preservation?

Can you afford to get a 50cc scooter? It will open the commute distance and also help no end with your road skills.

Thank Post
    @hal No.. I've tried many times.. they don't get back to me. I make the effort to ring, and walk up there and I guess they don't need any one.

The problem with cycling is that my roads are very dangerous, I've come off plenty of times on my mountain bike and christ it hurts. Especially in the snow...

I have placed a flyer in my local grocery shop ( tried there too for a job ) and I haven't had a single call.. People want warranties and such when repairing the public's computers .. I'm good, but not that good :P I can't guarantee it to stay working for 3 years, as you know PC's just don't last.

The aerodrome hasn't been running for years.. We had a partition go out talking about scraping for keeping it. I don't know what happened.

It's just my mum unfortunately, I don't want anything to do with my step dad. That's where I am looking, Chelmsford, Witham, all areas under that sort of district.

I'll PM my CV to you Witch. And I'll PM you Rad.

Thanks for the advise and help!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast