+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Cry for help in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hey guys, 19 years of age, living with my parents, just finished my IT apprenticeship without a job, still needing ...

Thank Post

Cry for help

Hey guys, 19 years of age, living with my parents, just finished my IT apprenticeship without a job, still needing to take 3 exams, passed the network+ exam, I may have to pay 120 for one of the exams that I cant get from my parents, parents are nagging me for money for house keeping which is driving me insane, im melting down. If someone could help me look for a job and write a CV I would be more than happy to pay once ive gotten into some form of employment, I need help please. I dont know what to do.

Oh and the ice-ling on top is the fact that I lost my free travel oyster card, only got 4.20 in my draw with the replacement fee being 10 -_-
    Last edited by MelodicBrush; 6th December 2011 at 06:09 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MelodicBrush View Post
    Hey guys, 19 years of age, living with my parents, just finished my IT apprenticeship without a job, still needing to take 3 exams, passed the network+ exam, I may have to pay 120 for one of the exams that I cant get from my parents, parents are nagging me for money for house keeping which is driving me insane, im melting down. If someone could help me look for a job and write a CV I would be more than happy to pay once ive gotten into some form of employment, I need help please. I dont know what to do.

Oh and the ice-ling on top is the fact that I lost my free travel oyster card, only got 4.20 in my draw with the replacement fee being 10 -_-
    So get a paper round, or a shop job for a while!

Thank Post
    I agree with James, there must be barwork or other partime work in London. Why not go to a computer repair shop, explain the situation and see if they can help?

Living at home is probably costing your parents at least 50 a week. Are you entitled to any benefits?

Thank Post
    MelodicBrush, I'm with Laser and James... I'd start looking for anything you can get rather than looking for IT sector jobs. Unfortunately, the market is saturated with job seekers, so companies can pick and choose the 'right' person.

you'll need to get your exams done at least, imho, and you may want to look at doing some volunteer work to get some experience under your belt... get some smart clothes on, and talk a walk up to the local Primary or Secondary school, and offer yourself to do a few hours a week... you might find you end up with a job at the end, or at least your expenses paid!

the other option is to make a post on here offering your services out, I dare say someone could use a pair of hands on here, that are in your area!

With regard to your CV, Write one, PM me and I'll give you an email address to send it to, I'll look at it, and provide my thoughts, but bear in mind, I'm not an expert!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Right.
    Get a grip, lad!
    You need to find some sort of part-time job to tide you over until you enter the exciting world of IT! So get off your behind and go and find something. You are an adult, why should your parents keep you anymore? It isn't mandatory you know and I am sure that whatever you pay them will be nowhere near the real cost of keeping you. At the very least you should be claiming jobseekers?
    As has been said, go and offer your services to all the local schools and on here - but remember edugeekers will need to know roughly where you are in London, it's a big place!
    As for a CV - cobble something together and send it to me - I need details on education, qualifications, as well as details of this apprenticeship - what you have worked on, what you have experience of etc etc as well as any job experience. Dont worry about it being pretty or properly laid out, I'll sort that out for you. And yes, I AM some sort of CV expert - well at least the bits of paper I have say so!!
    Pm for my email address

6. 3 Thanks to witch:

elsiegee40 (6th December 2011), MelodicBrush (6th December 2011), Oaktech (6th December 2011)

Thank Post
    where you are in London, it's a big place
    Be careful with comments like that @witch. they'll have you teaching geography

8. Thanks to laserblazer from:

tom_newton (6th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Sometimes the best way to get a job is to ask a local school/company if you can work for free for a few months while you gain experience. This will look good for your CV and will also benefit your professional development. It will eventually hold you in good stead for a paid job.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Its worth seeking and asking places even if just to hand a CV in for future reference, as other people have said find something to do in the mean time regardless of what that may be, retail, IT, bar work etc....

Totaljobs is a great site and check on the directgov site daily, if you need help with your CV people on here will help if you let us know what yo uhave so far

Thank Post
    If I had a job going, and two candidates with exactly the same skill set/qualifications came in for it, the fact one was in work (even something unrelated to the position like a shelf stacker) would weigh heavily in their favour. It shows to me that even when times are hard you are willing to try anything to take up the slack.

Get a part time job first, and things will start to slot into place

Good luck.

Thank Post
    Have you thought about doing any volunteer work?

I'm currently doing a bit of recruiting and I'm impressed by those candidates who are out of work, yet are doing some volunteer work (IT based usually) to keep themselves ticking over.

I think most places looking for volunteers will happily pay travel expenses - so perhaps that's worth a look at?

13. Thanks to pantscat from:

andyturpie (6th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Hey mate chin up, i live at home im 19 and i left college at 17 and did some courses in my time just some basic stuff, i too really wanted a job in IT, but i didnt just walk into it, i realised then that i had to get a part time job thus being McDonalds, not the most glamorous of places but hey it kept me with a bit of money. Luckily a job arose at the school i was a student at applied and the rest as they say is history, wish you all the look, but as others have said try a part time job you will no doubt hate but money is money especially in today's economic climate. Good luck to you.

15. 2 Thanks to jamesrobinson:

andyturpie (6th December 2011), MelodicBrush (6th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Several fairly/very harsh replies here. Oddly from people I remember falling over themselves to help the troubled @AXE throughout his ridiculously long cry for help.
    Double-standards...

@MelodicBrush, with the above comment made, the bit I would agree with people is you need to help yourself. No one is going to do it for you, it just isn't that kind of world. Hard times seem difficult when you're in them, but when you work hard to get out of them yourself you can look back later and be proud at how you did.
    In the short term, your money worries are probably easy to fix - flog something (xbox/ps3?) and you'll easily be able to afford the exams, which will then improve your prospects. I suspect if your family see you investing in your own future they may be willing to wait a while longer before they are financially supported... but don't expect a free ride forever!

17. 3 Thanks to mb2k01:

gwendes (8th December 2011), MelodicBrush (6th December 2011), RoF (9th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    Several fairly/very harsh replies here. Oddly from people I remember falling over themselves to help the troubled @AXE throughout his ridiculously long cry for help.
    Double-standards...
    Don't see the 'harsh' replies at all - everyone is just telling it like it is, giving him advice and wishing him good luck. How is that not helping? Even you are telling him not to expect a free ride - which is what we are all saying, as well as giving him advice on how to get on and improve his lot.
    Very unfair of you to compare him to @AXE who was not 'ridiculous' in the least - and that certainly isn't a word anyone has applied to this OP either.
    There is no point just saying 'there there' to someone with a problem - offering solutions and help with CVs etc are offering positive steps he can take to help himself - as you yourself says

19. 4 Thanks to witch:

Hightower (6th December 2011), laserblazer (6th December 2011), MelodicBrush (14th December 2011), Trapper (20th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Ok Witch. Have no desire to get in to one of these arguments with you. Continue to invest your time in the balanced moderating you do so well.

21. 2 Thanks to mb2k01:

aleach2 (6th December 2011), RoF (9th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Baby steps!!!Any job any pay just to get you on your feet. You have to start somewhere-- Like a caterpillar turning into a butterfly :-D
    Last edited by SW-ICT; 6th December 2011 at 01:26 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast