+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Cry for help in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I found the first few posts quite harsh. Learning about IT isn't done in school or college - it's a ...
    Thank Post
    I found the first few posts quite harsh. Learning about IT isn't done in school or college - it's a passion for learning and an environment where you can. It's a tough job market - my advice would be to be completely honest at interview and tell them that you don't know things but you will learn - then listen. Listen, make notes and practice. Set up a domain at home if you can - virtualise the whole thing...
    I found it hard to get a job after seven years in IT (5 as a tech/senior tech with excellent refs) - be honest and expect training wages. You don't know how much you don't know.
    Most of all, GOOD LUCK!

2. Thanks to gwendes from:

CPLTD (14th December 2011)

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    I would part agree with gwendes above.

The way I learnt was buying servers and switches off ebay, playing around with them all at home, breaking them, fixing them! - thats the way i learnt and it stuck in my head!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MelodicBrush View Post
    . If someone could help me look for a job and write a CV I would be more than happy to pay once ive gotten into some form of employment, I need help please. I dont know what to do.
    Well you could start here ...

Temp Work

RoF
    Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MelodicBrush View Post
    Hey guys, 19 years of age, living with my parents, just finished my IT apprenticeship without a job, still needing to take 3 exams, passed the network+ exam, I may have to pay 120 for one of the exams that I cant get from my parents, parents are nagging me for money for house keeping which is driving me insane, im melting down. If someone could help me look for a job and write a CV I would be more than happy to pay once ive gotten into some form of employment, I need help please. I dont know what to do.

Oh and the ice-ling on top is the fact that I lost my free travel oyster card, only got 4.20 in my draw with the replacement fee being 10 -_-
    Oh this has to be a joke right? If your parents nagging you for housekeeping money is causing you to have a meltdown then you really need to grow a pair! You say you are 19 years old? There are people younger than you fighting and dying for their countries! And while you complain about losing your free travel card there are children in some parts of the world that have to walk miles just for water!

6. Thanks to RoF from:

strawberry (10th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And out she comes with a smash in the face with a lead trout! Loving that one, bit OTT but apt.

8. Thanks to nephilim from:

RoF (14th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Fact is I wasn't bought up in those parts in the world where people have to walk for miles, i've been raised to adapt to a climate that is technologically dependant, which I can see is a problem as well as something that I need to change, so I don't need to be hearing carp from you if its not helping. I'd like to give thanks to the everyone that has been supportive, i've managed to take some progressive steps towards supporting myself now with a special thanks to witch that had taken the patience to sit through and help me re-write a brilliant CV.
    Last edited by witch; 14th December 2011 at 08:13 AM. Reason: swearing

10. 2 Thanks to MelodicBrush:

CPLTD (14th December 2011), irsprint84 (14th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Looks like you've made some good progress mate, well done, and good luck!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteseD View Post
    Looks like you've made some good progress mate, well done, and good luck!
    I agree but some of the things melodicbrush has said makes me think his glass is half empty rather than half full. I think this view on life can come across at interviews, even if you don't realise it. Make a list of all the good things you have; a roof over your head, good health, not having to walk miles to fetch the water. That sort of thing. Start to think positively and don't get arsey because someone makes a comment you don't like. Just think how many collective years of experience we edugeeker have between us

Here's something I would try. Compose a short email offering your IT services free of charge so that you can gain experience to put on your cv. Say that you will do things like clean computers, install hardware, carry out updates, check for malware/viruses; all the things that the IT technician (if they have one) hates doing. Explain your lack of transport and that you would appreciate help getting to and from work. Then get the email addresses of all the local companies you can find using google or the Kelly's directory at your library. Flood the area with emails and I bet you'll get a response. If @witch is willing, ask her to check the email first.

13. Thanks to laserblazer from:

MelodicBrush (14th December 2011)

Thank Post
    hello @MelodicBrush
    I'm 19 and I am also in the same boat! I'm from the north of the country though where the amount of work available is probablly a lot lower..

I have (this week) emailed the local high schools in my area about volunteering! I think this is the right step at the moment as I'm currently looking for work too!
    Will see what comes of it! And i'm actually quite excited to hear back from them (hopefully)

This thread has been a good read for me and i'd love to hear about your progress!

Adam

15. Thanks to Adam92H from:

Thank Post
    Why did you limit yourself to high schools @adam92h? There are primary schools with a lot of gear and probably a lot less in-house support, who are crying out for help. You could also offer to help out in ICT lessons because often the teachers struggle with the younger ones who need a lot of hand-holding.

Thank Post
    @laserblazer

I am going to be sending to primary schools too, just wanted to test the bed on the highschools first to see what responce I get because to be honest I'm not expecting much (I've never volunteered like this)

I worked for an IT Support Company for a year as part of my apprentiship before I went to college and that was soley primary schools, Just thought it would be an advantage for me to get high schools on my CV.

I may visit the primary schools in person as many of the teachers will remember me. Take a cover letter regarding volunteering attached with my CV adressed to the headteacher and ICT Co-Ord..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi MelodicBrush (Cracking handle)

Feel free to PM me your details, we're always interested in new talent.

Try not to take the comments to heart, some members speak to PC's better than people.(Being told to "grow a pair" by a 'female' is a classic example)
    I appreciate your (and everyone elses, regardless of age) efforts to find gainful employment

Joe

19. Thanks to CPLTD from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    (Being told to "grow a pair" by a 'female' is a classic example)
    I think it's acceptable to disregard any and all comments made by RoF.

Trolls gonna troll.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Trolls gonna troll.
    Eammonn to that Holmes.

Sometimes you gotta troll with it....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    Eammonn to that Holmes.

Sometimes you gotta troll with it....
    They see me trollin'... They hatin'

And they must assume I'm white and nerdy.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast