+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Hi all in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi all, I had abit of good news today basically i had worked at a school voluntary as an IT ...
    Thank Post

Hi all

Hi all,

I had abit of good news today basically i had worked at a school voluntary as an IT Technician

I am only 19 and have just recently applied for a job at a different school.

I have today just recieved a letter to say i have been short listed and have an interview.

I just need abit of information about what i should and shouldnt be saying really.

If anybody could give me a few things to help me out a little that would be great.

Thanks,

Ryan

Thank Post
    be yourself!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Read up on the basics of child protection and safeguarding! You it skills should show themselves!

Good luck and We are Always here to help

Thank Post
    Hi Ryan,

I'm one of the youngest people in my job so I've been in your shoes.

The best bit of advice I can give, generally speaking, is to be confident and friendly. Go in the room, shake everyone's hand and meet them in the eye and introduce yourself with a smile on your face. It makes you likeable and give the impression that, despite your age, you are a mature profession and more than capable of doing the job you are applying for.

I'm sure the other guys on here can tell you what kind of questions you'll be asked and what to say but that's my advice.

Hope it helps & good luck! Age doesn't matter!

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Oh Yeah age doesn't matter I started in this job 3 years ago @ 17 and now run a network of 900 clients and over 30 servers!

Having interviewed a few people on your shoes a few months back also setup some test installs at home and play around with basics like creating directory structures and shares etc

Thank Post
    I didn't think there was that many young people in your position to be honest @glennda. I'm only 22 myself.

I suppose glennda is proof the age doesn't matter. Get your head down and work hard and you can get any job!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,534 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As others have said your ages doesnt matter. I first got a job as a technican at 16 and got promoted to senior at 18.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, Just be yourself and be honest and present yourself as you continue to going forward. Age does not matter as others have also said I was a Technican at 16 being promoted into management positions by 20 and it is generally down the expirience and recommendations/references that have helped me get to where I am today.. but also those references come with being a good person showing the correct attitude etc.

Be Confident and I wish you all the best,

James.

Thank Post
    I've been in a similar position to those above, starting at 16, and working for it.

I can echo everything that's been said, the trick is to be confident without being arrogant, the line is very fine but if you can don't come across as confident and personable how can they expect to have confidence in you - bear that in mine.

Good luck, let us all know how it goes!

Mic

Thank Post
    I started at 17 as a junior tech and after a year was in charge as a senior tech after the network manager left and a restructure. Since gone to ICT Systems manager after another restructure and fighting to get the recognition, now 24.

Thank Post
    I know it’s hard, But don’t show them your nervous.
    Prepare yourself for any question that they may throw at you.
    (PM me if you want Ideas)
    Make yourself stand out… (visual)

Thank Post
    Hi Ryan,

I left school at the young age of 15 and started a 2 year apprenticeship, when I turned 16 (just before my 17th birthday) I applied for a full time position at a local school, the best advice is what has already been said really, just be yourself, be confident in the things you know, at the end of an interview they will ask if you have any questions, never say now, always think of 2-3 and show interest in these. Think for them whilst on a tour of the school etc.

it's a nervous time being so young trust me, they will be older then you too probably but think the fact your shortlisted means they are not bothered by your age and they are already considering you at the post. Be the best you can be, keep calm, keep smiling. I got the job btw and been here working my way up for the past 4 years so it does happen at such a young age.

Be well prepared and just try your best to enjoy the experience, if you don't get the job so what at least you know what to expect for future interviews

Simon

Thank Post
    I imagine you'll know the answers to many of the questions just because you've already done work within a school environment.

I don't miss interviews one bit, no matter how confident I felt before getting there I'd always be a shaking by the time I got into the waiting room - to be honest if you're not nervous you're either too cocky or you have no real interest in getting the job... some you win some you lose and sometimes even though it dosen't seem that way at the time you'll think "Thank **** I didn't get that job!" months or years down the line. I'd hate to think where I'd be if I'd got the first tech job I applied for, I wouldn't have half the experience and wouldn't have met my wife.

Good luck with the interview!

Thank Post
    i just want to say thank you for all your comments.

You have all made me feel alot better in going for this interview.

Also all the young people that have commented is great

Thank you so much

Thank Post
    I'm also 19 and before I got employed I did an apprenticeship at the school I'm currently working at. I was paid pittence but worked hard and it did pay off for me as i'm now full-time and currently responsible for our network of macs! By far the best advice I can give is to be prepared for anything they will ask you. I know this may seem hard but to put it into context, I came straight out of finishing college and the day I finished I had this interview, not knowing really much about networks at all. Upon finishing my apprenticeship here to prove I was competent enough at this job to be taken on, I was given a test on things that I'd been doing for the past year - so i'd advise just to brush up on things you may be a bit unsure of. Other than that, just be yourself. The fact that you've been working there voluntary looks quite good in itself! Best of luck.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast