+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Educational IT Jobs Thread, ICT School Wages in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; The way you tell at interview is by adding in a 'test' of some form. Or an informal chat with ...
    Thank Post
    The way you tell at interview is by adding in a 'test' of some form. Or an informal chat with someone who does know what they're talking about. It doesn't take long to figure out if someone is blagging or not.[/QUOTE]

Most if not all interviews use both techniques but time is limited and people in industry use MCSE plus interview because historical or progressive knowledge shown by passing exams is still the best way of showing someone has the knowledge to successfully do the job. The pay then reflects this.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosker View Post
    Do you not think this should relate to your qualifications? In industry you really do need to have the right papers to prove you know your stuff. Education seems to ignore qualifications and not consider supporting staff wanting to get more qualified. Rather strange for what is an organisation based on attainment of qualifications.
    I believe it's down to the individual education organisation.

The first educational establisment I worked in (IT within a FE & HE College) trained up the whole IT department with the MCSA 2000 as well as the A+ and the Networt+. Then it was down to the individual if they wanted to sit the exams. As well as other things like the Epson Printer Engineering courses. I don't know about other departments.

My current employer (secondary school), has invested in the IT team here however we have had to work for it. We do also have approx 10 support staff (1 from IT Services as well as different departments) on apprenticeship/NVQ programs.

My part-time employer (a university) does have a staff development program.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wagnerk View Post
    I believe it's down to the individual education organisation.

The first educational establisment I worked in (IT within a FE & HE College) trained up the whole IT department with the MCSA 2000 as well as the A+ and the Networt+. Then it was down to the individual if they wanted to sit the exams. As well as other things like the Epson Printer Engineering courses. I don't know about other departments.

My current employer (secondary school), has invested in the IT team here however we have had to work for it. We do also have approx 10 support staff (1 from IT Services as well as different departments) on apprenticeship/NVQ programs.

My part-time employer (a university) does have a staff development program.

That’s how it should be done. My main point is the usual dire way schools ignore the training needs of staff. Refreshing to here.

Thank Post
    I personally think that pieces of paper are pretty much a waste of time. My main criteria, can you perform a google search for a problem, find a fix, understand it and apply it, and not break a load of other stuff in the process.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by budgester View Post
    I personally think that pieces of paper are pretty much a waste of time. My main criteria, can you perform a google search for a problem, find a fix, understand it and apply it, and not break a load of other stuff in the process.
    Who makes the first post? To quote Sir Francis Bacon: Knowledge is power (Ill add and pay).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy23 View Post
    That doesn't sound too bad on a term time only basis, in terms of what this is on a full time contract. Due to the amountt of responsiblity though it should be more like in the low 20's, theyre even asking for an mcse as desirable!
    Sorry, I meant 15ish is the FTE. (Probably worded it wrong, I'm not great on wages-type speak)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosker View Post
    That’s how it should be done. My main point is the usual dire way schools ignore the training needs of staff. Refreshing to here.
    I presume you mean ignore the needs of non teaching staff? It would seem talking to others that most schools tend to focus virtually all of their focus on the teachers with scant regard for support and admin staff.

However, I must say in my place of work whilst theres little focus on non teaching staff in some areas, we do get provided with 2 Microsoft related courses and exams every year.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @superatticman can I come and work for you? Most places are lucky if you get anything by way of training, unless you fund it yourself!

Thank Post
    Its always worth checking as to whether your place of work is affiliated to a body such as 'Investors in People'. There have been cases in the past where a handful of our admin related staff have not been happy at the lack of training and have actually contacted the above body to ensure some dialogue takes place between them and their managers. It may mean rocking the boat, but I believe it brought about some positive results for the staff concerned.

Like I said earlier though, I'm afraid some schools only see training and development for those working in an academic role.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My last place was and investors in people....if by people your definition was teachers only.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    My last place was and investors in people....if by people your definition was teachers only.
    Yes, mine too..
    Mind you, they get good returns on their small investment in me

Thank Post
    Well during the downtime of the site, I had a performance management meeting and have been promised a review of my salary 'next financial year'

We shall see if I have to remind them....

Thank Post
    I began working as a Junior IT tech in a Kent secondary school earning £15k. *I then moved to Capita Education after 3 years supporting both primary and secondary schools in Kent, London and Essex earning £20k

I moved out of education after another 3 years to an IT support role in the city earning £25k. *

4 years on I'm now at £29k but would love to get back to an IT role in Education. *I know though that I'd struggle to get £30k + unless working in a private school as Network Manager as education unfortunately doesn't pay good wages. *I'm getting the money in the city but hate the job. *Unfortunately I need the money to live.

Quote Originally Posted by drk84 View Post
    Hi People,

Just been wondering lately about ICT jobs in schools and it seems like the pay is not as good as what you would get if you were working in an ICT company.

So my question is what job do you lot do, is it in a school and if it's not too personal then whats the annual wage for the job you are doing.

Thanks and sorry if I'm asking a question which is too personal

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456