+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, ICT School Wages in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,153 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I started off 12 years ago on £11k and most of the increases I have had are down to increased workload, increased expertise and increased responsibility. I've been fairly lucky so far, but even in Local Govt you get quite a variation of salaries. A large amount of weighting is down to whether you directly line manage a large group rather than the impact you have one others. In our recent restructure we had to do a lot to point out that whilst we don't directly line manage a lot of folk, we do service management and develop strategy which affects a heck of a lot of people.

Managing your own budget is also a large factor too ...

I would not say that it is purely about increased responsibility ... it is also about increased accountability. The easiest way I have found to explain the difference to people (around my job) is that not only to I have to do the work or make sure it gets done, I am the one who gets the grief (or even the chop) when it goes wrong ... and also gets the thumbs up when it goes right too (it is not all about the bad stuff, after all!)

dsk

Thank Post
    We have 3 tiers in our school, approximate wage:

(2) IT technician £21k to £23k
    (1) Senior IT technician £23k to £25.9k
    (1) Manager £36k to £39k

Recently scrapped the Senior position in favour of a deputy due to the responsibility i used to have in that position. Managed to bump the pay up as a result, not by much, but better than being stuck on the same.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,579 Times in 1,795 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsk View Post
    We have 3 tiers in our school, approximate wage:

(2) IT technician £21k to £23k
    (1) Senior IT technician £23k to £25.9k
    (1) Manager £36k to £39k

Recently scrapped the Senior position in favour of a deputy due to the responsibility i used to have in that position. Managed to bump the pay up as a result, not by much, but better than being stuck on the same.
    I wish I worked there

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I wish I worked there
    You going for any of the dorchester jobs? There was a school support position on there. Or is it a bit to far?

There are 9 jobs on dorset 4 u. I imagine this one will pay for travel expenses as well.

ICT Officer Level 3 (Fixed term for 1 year) (INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL APPLICANTS MAY APPLY)
    Short description: IT Officer required to work within an IT Frontline Service delivery team offering 1st and 2nd Line ICT Support to Children's Services - Schools.
    Salary: £19,621 - £22,958
    Closing date: 02/11/2011
    Reference: 61006574
    Employment type: Full time
    Establishment: Corporate Resources
    Contact Name: Aidan Badder
    Address: County Hall Colliton Park Dorchester Dorset DT1 1XJ
    Telephone: 01305 221110
    Email: a.e.badder@dorsetcc.gov.uk

Dorset County Council uses Generic Job Descriptions and Person Specifications and therefore the job title in the attachments on the right may differ from the job title in the Advert. Further specific information may be provided in a Context Statement where relevant.

IT Officer required to work within an IT Frontline Service Delivery Team. Experience of first and second line support essential. Excellent Customer Services skills are required. Previous experience of AD, ITIL Service Management as well as good knowledge of hardware/software and network installations would be advantageous. The position is required to travel extensively in the county of Dorset.

This post has a significant travel requirement and you are contractually required to have a vehicle (or transport deemed to be suitable by the County Council) available for use as required.

Interviews will be held 15 November 2011.

Once this post has closed, the job description and person specification will no longer be available to view.

Please note Dorset County Council does not accept CV’s in place of an application form as we require the same range of information from all our candidates.

This post involves working with children or vulnerable adults and having access to significant information about them and will be subject to a Criminal Records Bureau check.
    Last edited by Jiser; 30th October 2011 at 03:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,579 Times in 1,795 Posts
    Too far for me. Might speak to Aidan though - I know him a bit

Thank Post
    This thread makes me think I'm severely underpaid!

I'm the only tech in a primary (that has escaped RM's managed service, so all the responsibility is mine), with 250 kids, 100+clients. I do all the website stuff, SIMS support etc.

Think I'll be asking for a raise when it's PDM time!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stpaulscrompton View Post
    i dont think your the only one that feels that way.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by januttall View Post
    i dont think your the only one that feels that way.
    Same here.... :/

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stpaulscrompton View Post

I'm the only tech in a primary (that has escaped RM's managed service, so all the responsibility is mine), with 250 kids, 100+clients. I do all the website stuff, SIMS support etc.

Think I'll be asking for a raise when it's PDM time!
    Hi there, im interested to know how much you earn if you don't mind me asking, i'm about to apply for a very similar position as yours. The salary range for it is £17,788 - £19,364 FTE im going for the top of that range if i'm offered the position.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy23 View Post
    Hi there, im interested to know how much you earn if you don't mind me asking, i'm about to apply for a very similar position as yours. The salary range for it is £17,788 - £19,364 FTE im going for the top of that range if i'm offered the position.
    Just under 15k is my salary, but even though I do over and above, I don't get paid outside of term time.
    The alternative answer to your question is 'a pittance.'

Thank Post
    That doesn't sound too bad on a term time only basis, in terms of what this is on a full time contract. Due to the amountt of responsiblity though it should be more like in the low 20's, theyre even asking for an mcse as desirable!

Thank Post
    Do you not think this should relate to your qualifications? In industry you really do need to have the right papers to prove you know your stuff. Education seems to ignore qualifications and not consider supporting staff wanting to get more qualified. Rather strange for what is an organisation based on attainment of qualifications.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,611 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosker View Post
    Do you not think this should relate to your qualifications? In industry you really do need to have the right papers to prove you know your stuff. Education seems to ignore qualifications and not consider supporting staff wanting to get more qualified. Rather strange for what is an organisation based on attainment of qualifications.
    Many 'qualifications' aren't worth the paper that they're written on to be honest, so rather than basing it on qualifications, basing it on experience and ability is more suitable.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Many 'qualifications' aren't worth the paper that they're written on to be honest, so rather than basing it on qualifications, basing it on experience and ability is more suitable.
    How do you measure this at interview? I do agree local or School based qualifications are not worth much but international ones are very good indeed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,611 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosker View Post
    How do you measure this at interview? I do agree local or School based qualifications are not worth much but international ones are very good indeed.
    What if they have something like a MCSA? MCSE? Many find that qualification to be worthless, as so many people take it without even sitting down at a computer...

The way you tell at interview is by adding in a 'test' of some form. Or an informal chat with someone who does know what they're talking about. It doesn't take long to figure out if someone is blagging or not.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast