+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, ICT School Wages in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Bluetooth's post highlights a common situation, a similar one that I find myself in. We start on such a low ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Bluetooth's post highlights a common situation, a similar one that I find myself in.

We start on such a low wage, and to get any increases at all, you have to take on additional responsibilities - each giving small increments in pay. In order to reach a decent wage, you'd have to work more hours than there are in a week supporting every system ever invented.

Whereas when you start on a higher salary to begin with, you can actually live comfortably on what you earn, without the need of taking on extra responsibilities to get extra pay.

It annoys me so much that I've been working for 8 years, have a relatively huge amount of skills, experience and responsibilities here, yet my salary falls a few thousand pounds short of what NQTs get.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaTech View Post
    as long as the bills get paid and I get to drive my car I'm happy!
    I would be more than happy with a salary where I could achieve that!

2. Thanks to webman from:

Bluetooth (10th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Webman, I know its difficult but have you considered relocation? Many jobs would kill for the skills you have, but as @Ric found out, to hit the money you want, you need to relocate, hell even my other half and I are considering moving to london (we are 30 miles north of outer london) and it would be a logical choice as there are literally thousands of jobs I could apply for if I was closer!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Webman, I know its difficult but have you considered relocation? Many jobs would kill for the skills you have, but as @Ric found out, to hit the money you want, you need to relocate, hell even my other half and I are considering moving to london (we are 30 miles north of outer london) and it would be a logical choice as there are literally thousands of jobs I could apply for if I was closer!
    Yes I have. Last year I applied at BBC North in Manchester (unsuccessful), and in July this year, I interviewed for a Web Dev/Linux Sysadmin role at a company in Derby who were offering £24k (which is probably the minimum I'd be looking at). Never heard a thing since!

I also applied for Web Technologies Developer - Ossett, Wakefield, West Yorkshire, WF5 but never had a response.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mind pinging me your CV?

Thank Post
    On these wages are you all getting the school holidays or are you just getting the normal 4-5 weeks annual holiday?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I get 30-odd days' holiday a year - probably similar to most.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drk84 View Post
    On these wages are you all getting the school holidays or are you just getting the normal 4-5 weeks annual holiday?
    About 5 weeks here. In my experience, most Network Managers are 'all year round'. Technicians are sometimes term time only, sometimes all year round. However, if people are term time only, then the salary quoted is still relevant, except it is 'pro rata', so the take home pay is a percentage of that amount (and the person is officially still on that salary grade).

Thank Post
    I am the Network Manager of a school with 1600 users. We are responsible for 900+ computers, 20 odd servers, CMIS, CCTV etc. I have 2 full time technicians working under me. I get paid 27k, 30 days annual leave.

Having read these posts, I'm not complaining. Although it pains me that there are incompetent and lazy teachers that take home a much better basic pay (I'm not going to Teacher bash, most deserve their salary. I'm just highlighting this as it's the profession that most of us work with).

I'm not sure what the going rate is, but I know there are a hell of a lot of gifted people on here that don't earn as much as a shelf stacker in Tescos.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dgardner View Post
    I'm not sure what the going rate is, but I know there are a hell of a lot of gifted people on here that don't earn as much as a shelf stacker in Tescos.
    Any job that can be outsourced easily, and lets face it IT support is one of them, is going to become less attractive financially as the market becomes more and more global.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superatticman View Post
    Any job that can be outsourced easily, and lets face it IT support is one of them, is going to become less attractive financially as the market becomes more and more global.
    I don't think IT is as easily outsourced as you might think. Certainly not for large domains.

Some organisations believe that their forays into outsourcing have not produced the benefits required and have decided to pull IT back in-house. For every success story about outsourcing, there is also a disaster story.

I know a couple of places locally that thought they were saving money by outsourcing, but ended up paying hugely over budget as the year progressed.

Anyway, I don't believe that IT support can become less attractive financially. It's not like anyone of us is on great money as it is!

It would be interesting to see an up-to-date poll of pay. I know Single Status has affected a lot of people.

Thank Post
    this is the one saving grace that i have in regards to my job, i get all the school holliday off. only thing is if i worked full time id be on 22k.. but since i dont i only get 17600

Thank Post
    I don't think IT is as easily outsourced as you might think. Certainly not for large domains.

Some organisations believe that their forays into outsourcing have not produced the benefits required and have decided to pull IT back in-house. For every success story about outsourcing, there is also a disaster story.

I know a couple of places locally that thought they were saving money by outsourcing, but ended up paying hugely over budget as the year progressed.

Anyway, I don't believe that IT support can become less attractive financially. It's not like anyone of us is on great money as it is!

It would be interesting to see an up-to-date poll of pay. I know Single Status has affected a lot of people.
    Could not agree any more with the fact that conventional outsourcing has been a false economy in places. Initially it was attractive to those middle management types who were more interested lining their own pockets with money seemingly saved in areas such as IT support. However, the new 'outsourcing' seems to involve importing foreign workers to work 'in house' for relatively paltry wages. This, as well as a saturated market has probably been responsible for keeping wages down in the corporate environment.

I earn 24k working as a 'Senior Tech' at a private school in Greater London with around 1000+ users and a mix of physical and Virtual machines. 30 days holiday. We do get 2 training courses per year and exams paid for. These are usually Microsoft based. I can't complain too much although like all of you I'd always take more!

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Hi People,

Just been wondering lately about ICT jobs in schools and it seems like the pay is not as good as what you would get if you were working in an ICT company.

So my question is what job do you lot do, is it in a school and if it's not too personal then whats the annual wage for the job you are doing.

Thanks and sorry if I'm asking a question which is too personal
    Having read the replies here, I'm almost embarrassed to comment because we're doing very well where I work (all the jobs but my own are estimates, even where I know the salary precisely I don't really want to talk about other peoples wage packets)

Technician - £16k-£20k
    Snr Tech - £20k-£24k
    Engineer - £27k-£31k
    Snr Engineer - £35-£38k
    Manager - Somewhere in the 40s I guess.

Thank Post
    Are you London based Roberto? Can you give details of responsibilities and size of network?

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Are you London based Roberto? Can you give details of responsibilities and size of network?
    We're Luton based, so there isn't any element of London weighting that I know of even though we're not that far away. We're an incorporated 6th form college rather than a school, so we're outside of the LEA pay structure. Probably quite important to mention that. Also the college is competing with quite a few large local businesses that recruit a lot of IT talent, so there is an element of having to remain competitive in the salaries.

We're a team of 6 (2 technicians, 1 snr tech, 1 engineer, 1 snr engineer, 1 manager), and our network size is about 1400+ PCs, plus telephony, CCTV, door access control, etc. About 50 servers, including a fairly extensive VMWare VSphere deployment.

As for my responsibilities, it's my job (snr engineer) to manage the design, build and support of the college infrastructure (both hardware infrastructure and software infrastructure); provide support to the technicians in their role of supporting staff and students (this doesn't mean I don't have direct contact with end users, I'm working a helpdesk shift right this second in fact); I'm also responsible for liaising with our coding team, who are part of our MIS department; research and development of new networking tools, techniques etc, writing whitepapers to support various decisions; running major network management / upgrading projects; liaise with JANET and JISC (we have a 1Gb internet connection through JANET and we're active in various JISC groups) and negotiation and management of contracts with various suppliers of infrastructure. Oh yes, supervision and mentoring of IT staff as the deputy to the manager is in there too.

From what I've discussed with friends working as NMs elsewhere, my job role is probably not that different to that of a network manager in a large school, except with possibly with less oversight. The last person I discussed this with was a NM in a school and earned about the same as me.
    Last edited by Roberto; 11th October 2011 at 10:26 AM.

17. Thanks to Roberto from:

Gardinho (11th October 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast