+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, ICT School Wages in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Originally Posted by nephilim Technicians - 12k - 24k (IME) Senior Techs - 16k - 28k (IME) Assistant/Deputy Network Managers ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,942 Times in 1,425 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Technicians - 12k - 24k (IME)
    Senior Techs - 16k - 28k (IME)
    Assistant/Deputy Network Managers 20k-30k (IME)
    Network Managers 25k - 40k (IME)

All based on my experience and job adverts. All based on the location of the school, a central london school will offer more due to cost of living compared to a school in outer leeds for example
    I am on the upper end of the NM scale at the minute, if I go full time I will drop by 5k but still above assistant NM pay scale

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by drk84 View Post
    Just been wondering lately about ICT jobs in schools and it seems like the pay is not as good as what you would get if you were working in an ICT company.
    As long as you can afford to live (rent/mortgage, etc, etc), do a job because you enjoy it and if you think you can contribute to the place where you work. I think the average in my area is 16K - 19K for an ICT Technician.

Thank Post
    I'm a Network Manager on the higher end of the wage scale, I did though take a hefty paycut when I moved from industry into education. The reason, to get a life. It's alright earning a good salary, but if you're constantly working 70 hours a week with hardly any holiday and very high stress levels then it's just not worth it. Edu can be a pain in the backside, but at least you can have a life away from it.

Thank Post
    I am on the upper end of the NM scale at the minute, if I go full time I will drop by 5k but still above assistant NM pay scale
    How long did it take to get to that scale as majority seem to be saying an average alot lower

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    I'm a Network Manager on the higher end of the wage scale, I did though take a hefty paycut when I moved from industry into education. The reason, to get a life. It's alright earning a good salary, but if you're constantly working 70 hours a week with hardly any holiday and very high stress levels then it's just not worth it. Edu can be a pain in the backside, but at least you can have a life away from it.
    What scale was you on in industry if you don't mind me asking.

Sounds like in education once u reach a point on the scale that's it where as I'm guessing in industry you could always go higher.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drk84 View Post
    How long did it take to get to that scale as majority seem to be saying an average alot lower
    Started in education at age 20 and I was on a much lower wage at my last place (12k) and left there after 5 years, came here and I am now on 39k.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 1,000 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Started in education at age 20 and I was on a much lower wage at my last place (12k) and left there after 5 years, came here and I am now on 39k.
    that's a damn fine wage for that level of experience (not being rude, stating the fact - I know people with 4 times that amount on less). Either you're really bloody lucky or you work at a big BSF academy somewhere in London!

Thank Post
    That is a very good wage especially with just 5 years experience. What area are you working in and are u NM with a team of technicians?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I am in the Richmond area of Outer London, and I am a temp Network Manager. I have 5 years of education experience, 2 years of retail as well as a massive amount of qualifications which I did in my own time. When applying for jobs I wont accept anything less than £25k

Thank Post
    'School pay' has always been considered inferior, but with better benefits and less expectation. I'm not sure that applies any more though. In my experience Schools can actually be more challenging as the environment is more dynamic and theres so much badly written software to contend with. Plus heavy investment in ICT in schools has resulted in a fair degree of knowledge required to manage the back end, with the likes of Sanservers, HP Chassis Switches, Vmware and other pieces of kit now being commonplace in schools. And also bear in mind, due to lower staffing numbers, you will usually be expected to be a 'generalist and expert' at the same time and look after photocopiers, telephones and the like!

I've had a look at more 'corporate' positions and to be honest, there really isnt much difference in salary. Just less holiday time and no pension of any note.

It would seem that IT (support especially) is becoming an industry where what you need to know is sadly not really reflected in your salary. The amount of times that salary is discussed with friends in other non IT positions that require less knowledge or experience yet pay more makes me wonder as to whether getting out of IT support altogether is a good idea.

Thank Post
    I was considering moving out of education when in my last job, as it was stuck at £21k, which isn't bad but I thought I could be earning a bit more with 5 years experiance. Assumed I'd have to go private sector as I still wanted the hands on work but a better salary so had ruled out being a NM.

However, I got very lucky, got a NM job, but as the only IT staff member it's very hands on as well, and going to an independant school, wages shot up. I'd happily stay in education for the rest of my IT career (I hope not to be doing IT all my life though) because I love the benefits and flexibility, but I would probably wouldn't rush back to a state school purely because the wage structure is so limited.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    For my 10p worth, I moved from private into education, and took a modest pay cut in the process (pro rata; taking account of the 20-ish weeks I get off, I'm technically on the equivalent of more money now!). Nothing on God's green earth would ever, ever lure me back into the private sector. I LOVE working in a school. No two days are ever the same - no two HOURS are the same, actually! And the reward of seeing your hard work actually benefitting the kids is just magical. As for me, I'm an ICT Technician, but with that comes managing the network, etc. I think in a school environment, especially one where you're the sum total of its IT department, you should expect to be a catchall roll. And I wouldn't have it any other way!
    +1 Yeah, me too. I wouldn't go back to the private/corporate sector if they paid me, I've found that work to be soulless in comparison to working in education, which is much more rewarding in terms of job satisfaction. I've recently had to take a 2.5k pay cut, but now I'm working 4 days a week so I'm not complaining, as long as the bills get paid and I get to drive my car I'm happy!

Thank Post
    My remuneration means I live with my parents getting on 26 years. Most techs in education are paid at a lower level than your average NQT fresh from school, sixthform, uni to school. Is that nessarily right? Probably not but it depends on the skill level.

People say benefits? Theres no benefits apart from the local gov pension scheme but if your remuneration is low it doesn't really mean much at 75.

We can moan to high heaven but we accepted positions in education probably knowing the salary structure etc. If you don't like it skill up and move on, easy!
    Last edited by Jiser; 8th October 2011 at 02:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Re the point about NQT's, you could also say what a solid IT tech or competent NM earns when compared to a tube driver or 'train manager' is poor compared to what you are required to know and this after several years of hands on experience.

However, I would like to think most of us quite enjoy our jobs, and get a sense of satisfaction when it comes to working with IT gear and assisting people with their problems. Surely that is as important as what you take home?

I'd recommend becoming a plumber if you want to earn good money without needing any hefty academic qualifications. A friend of mine did a 2 year course 7 years ago, worked as a 'mate' for 2 years earning about £17k and has now worked as a plumber for 3 years for a large company. He earns about £30,000 a year although this includes a a few hours of overtime per week. Once he's done another 3 years, he's contemplating becoming self employed like some of his co-workers, and this should push him up to about £45k.

All well and good, but would you really wanna spend your entire day, crawling about, getting cut hands, risking back injuries, scalding oneself and no real variety to your work? No wonder a lot plumbers have had enough by their mid 40s!

Thank Post
    have been working for the local council for 5 years this december.

When i first started i was a trainee technician on 11,700 i then moved to full technician in 6 months and moved to 12,100.

After another 6 months i was "promoted" to having the responsability for 6 primary schools and to also train at the local high school on 13,400.

After another 6 months i was given the position permanently as those 6 months were seen as a probation period to make sure the system would work and benefit all the schools, 15800

over the years with a few pay rises and single status etc i am now currently on 17600 however i am trying to get out of the job as i am a network manager but not getting the NM pay scale.

Have been looking for a suitable NM level job for a good 8 months and nothing has come up as of yet.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast