+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Assistant ICT Technician - Kesteven & Grantham Girls' School in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wink Assistant ICT Technician - Kesteven & Grantham Girls' School

Morning all,

Due to a staff member moving back to be with her family, the Assistant ICT Technician role has just opened up in my department. Formal details and application forms on the school website; informal guff from me below. Closing date for applications is Tuesday 27th, and we'll be looking to interview not long after that to hopefully have someone start by November.

EDIT: And I should mention the following explicitly, although they're on the webpage: pay is G4.9 (£16,440) rising to G4.12 (£18,453), full time, with 24 days annual leave plus bank holidays.

The School
    KGGS is an all-girls grammar school (11-18) that has just passed its centenary year. We have an excellent academic record and Maggie Thatcher was Head Girl here back in the '40s (sorry about that). We're regularly top 5 in our county for results and received an award this year for our AS Business Studies performance over the last three years. We're currently the only school left in Grantham and intend to stay that way for as long as we are able to.

The school is a very academic school, and we have very few behavioural or social issues in our student body. Time is spent teaching, not teenage babysitting, and as such you'll be expected to uphold the very high standards in everything you do. The staff and the students are both very demanding and they will push for the best.

The Department
    Hi! I'm Matt and I'm the Network Manager. There's one other full time technician and a part time technician who splits her time between us and reprographics. You'll be the 4th member of this team (if you're lucky). We're pretty friendly and relaxed, we all share an office and sit with the radio on most of the time swapping banter. The office is air conditioned and has natural light, and believe me, I know how lucky we are there. There's a kettle and a fridge as well, so you can keep your caffeine levels nice and high with minimal effort.

We have a good rapport with the teaching staff who are very appreciative and grateful for the work we do - no, really. ICT was underfunded and badly staffed for a number of years, so they know how bad it can get, and are genuinely thankful that it works at all these days. The girls are very friendly and respectful, for the most part, and if they're not, you will be backed fully by the various pastoral folk in putting them in their place. If you've worked at a comprehensive before, the weirdest thing for you will be not having kids swear to your face - took me a while to get used to.

The Network
    We've got around 400 workstations in school, mostly wired, with a few obscure machines on a wireless link. We avoid classroom laptops and therefore don't have need of managed wireless yet. The network is currently Windows 2003 supporting XP, but I'm currently in the process of setting up the shiny new 2008R2 virtual infrastructure ready to deploy Windows 7 next summer. Anyone with any experience of either of those will do well to mention it in their application

What I'm Looking For
    In all honesty, as much as qualifications catch the eye, I'm more bothered by experience, communication skills and troubleshooting ability. If you can write clearly and professionally, communicate with teachers and students, and can quickly narrow down the cause of the problem, you're ideal. Although we all work together in a largely equal manner, you will have responsibilities of your own, and systems you will be expected to be the resident expert for, so (as cliché as it is) you need to be a team player who's capable of taking the initiative on their own.

Drop any questions you've got here or in a PM to me, most of the details should be around on the school site anyway. If you do apply, feel free to drop me a PM to let me know your real name so I can marry your username up against your application form.

Cheers!
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 14th September 2011 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Salary and holiday details

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Shameless bump! Closing date is tomorrow, we have sufficient applicants that I hope to find some decent interviewees from what we have, but not so many that a good candidate with experience won't stand out...

As before, any questions, drop me a line!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Closing day today - and for anyone who tried to look yesterday, our website is up and running again now so you can download the relevant forms and files now cheers @kartikt

4. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

kartikt (27th September 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information