+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Data manager interview task in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Going for an interview in July for a data manager role. I was informed I will be taking part in ...

Thank Post

Smile Data manager interview task

Going for an interview in July for a data manager role. I was informed I will be taking part in a 'data task'.

Wanted to ask, has anyone had any experience in a data task for an interview? and also what are typical questions they could ask during an interview for this post. I know the task could vary but if I could get an idea of what to expect that would be fab.

(for info schools mis is sims)

Thanks
    Last edited by bikeman17; 24th June 2011 at 10:23 AM. Reason: word missed out.

Thank Post
    For my last Data Manager interview we were given some data to do a brief analysis of ... i.e. identify underperforming students, how are FSM, SEN, EAL BME students doing, who is doing exceptionally well, how does this relate to effort in class, It might include Target data, e.g. FFT, ALIS and ALPs (depending on the year group data you get) etc.

Typical topics they might ask are things like how would you make sure your data is revelent to SLT, teachers and parents. They'll ask questions about Target setting, how can you develop the use of data to guide intervention.

Hope this helps!

3. Thanks to tobyhacker from:

bikeman17 (24th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    I've done a couple of interview for Data Manager positions (my current job and one other which I was offered but declined), and they were both along similar lines as what @tobyhacker said.

You're likely to be questioned about Fischer and tracking attainment to aid school improvement (talk about using Fischer data to help teaching staff set their own pupil targets and traffic light systems to show pupil progress).

I've been asked to perform analysis in Excel which will be a doddle if you've got some Excel knowledge, and I was asked to do some SIMS data entry (it's a spreadshseet that you type data in to - simple!)

I'd say don't stress too much, if you don't have knowledge of SIMS then try and have a look at it before you go to the interview

5. Thanks to LosOjos from:

bikeman17 (24th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Many thanks for all your input.

Continue to put forward your experience not just to help me but also potentially other members of this board.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    To add to the great tips above, I've always asked (for secretarial / admin / data assistant posts) that they do an Excel task. I find this is a really good measure of computer aptitude, as well as logic skills. Anyone can blag their way through Word and a computer, but even basic Excel skills are daunting for many staff. The analysis that can be done in Excel by far supercedes most MIS and it's quicker to do, so anyone that can get to grips with that will do well to apply their skills to whichever MIS is in use.

For a data manager, i might throw out hard one and ask about knowledge of Pivot Tables, because they are extremely useful, though a particular weakness for most as hard to understand. I've only used them a few times, but could surely do better.

'Data Manager' can be quite open-ended depending on the school, it might not just be focussed on assessment and analysis, some schools see it as overall data manager, so effectively a SIMS Manager. In this regard you could be asked to maintain the attendance data, produce timetable prints, create Data Reports in SIMS etc.

Maybe the Job Spec' can give you a guide as to the specifics. In addition, it's worth scouring their website and recent Ofsted inspections to see what their targets are, so you can show how your skills can help them get there. e.g. if they have an attendance problem, you can set up SIMS homepages for all form tutors with attendance graphs if it's not already done. At a more advanced level, you can perform sibling absence analysis, and per lesson / session analysis, to see trends and patterns that a teacher wont notice on a simple week by week view.

8. Thanks to vikpaw from:

bikeman17 (27th June 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread