+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational IT Jobs Thread, ICT Technician / Teaching Assistant Level 3 in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; How far has 'single status' got in any of your Local Authorities? This should in theory be a way of ...

Thank Post

Re: ICT Technician / Teaching Assistant Level 3

How far has 'single status' got in any of your Local Authorities? This should in theory be a way of 'normalising' salary by role/responsibility.
    The idea is the Authority establish the going rate for a job and all council depts/schools are expected to stick to it. Unfortunately some Local Councils are seeing it as a good way to reduce cost. In a nearby authority almost all support staff in schools on scales 1-3 are facing a pay cut. Scales 4 upwards will find out within the next 12 months. I think they narrowly avoided strike action by agreeing 4 years protection with scope for re-evaluation, no doubt for more productivity/responsibility. So net result is you end up back where you were but have to work harder!

Going back to the ICT technician/teaching asssistant topic, if BSF outsources the ICT technician responsibility of this position who will the post holder end up working for, and under what pay and conditions? The school/LEA, or the private outsourcing partner?

Thank Post

How far has 'single status' got in any of your Local Authorities? This should in theory be a way of 'normalising' salary by role/responsibility.
    The idea is the Authority establish the going rate for a job and all council depts/schools are expected to stick to it. Unfortunately some Local Councils are seeing it as a good way to reduce cost. In a nearby authority almost all support staff in schools on scales 1-3 are facing a pay cut. Scales 4 upwards will find out within the next 12 months. I think they narrowly avoided strike action by agreeing 4 years protection with scope for re-evaluation, no doubt for more productivity/responsibility. So net result is you end up back where you were but have to work harder!

Going back to the ICT technician/teaching asssistant topic, if BSF outsources the ICT technician responsibility of this position who will the post holder end up working for, and under what pay and conditions? The school/LEA, or the private outsourcing partner?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by broc

do you mean what some leas are doing calle dhayes evulation where they move over from old pay scale to a new one one

if so then we finished that few years ago....

russ

Thank Post

from what I've read/heard if the post is outsourced, so is the pay and pension.

beeswax

Thank Post

Single status stems from a time when the councils paid male and female workers different rates of pay for doing similar skilled work. A number of court cases were brought by unions and some (in particular female cleaners & kitchen staff) were awarded significant sums of money. The government decided that to avoid future cases they would implement a 'single status' agreement which avoids the risk of unfair pay litigation.
    This happened in 1997, and councils were given a number of years to sort it out. The deadline is April 2006 for pay and grading review and April 2007 for implementation.
    Unfortunately many councils seem to be using the review as a means of managing down cost. In a nearby authority this has meant employees on scales 1-3 (Max £15k pa) have been facing cuts of up to 30%. This applies to school support and admin staff, council gardeners, binmen, cleaners, catering staff, clerical staff in local government offices, the lot. My employer is due to go public on their review by the end of February 2006.
    So, we have single status, BSF, and the ongoing attacks on the Local Government Pension scheme all intended to make us highly paid, well motivated, cared-for employees - Not!

Quite honestly though, I love my job. I would hate to go back to working for my previous employer, with all of the travelling, staying away from home etc. I took a substantial pay cut (60%) to work here, I would not go back, but it would be nice to be paid a fair rate of pay..........

Thank Post

I've lost track of single status here but I have a feeling it has been put on a back burner/shelved for a bit. A few posts have been put on it, Caretakers and other technicians (Art/Science/DT) but I seem not to have been Not sure of the results but I think generally it has been put off because money was going to have to increase for so many people, even by little amounts, that schools couldn't cover it. That and those that were being told they would lose some money or have to do some more work seemed to be those that were most vocal!

To be honest I think it all stems from the general stance that support staff in schools are still mums doing part time work to keep themselves busy and people that have retired or need an easier life so gone into the public sector. A whole mind shift needs to happen about pay for not just us IT but the whole support role.

We are lucky in that the Head is very pro-active with pay, even to the point that where pay reviews have been on hold because of Single Status he has just carried out one on the whole support staff because it has taken so long. But my position took a long time to fill (though lucky for me really), a science Tech position had to be advertised 3 times to fill and I don't think it's going to get any easier.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12