+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, What questions should i ask at end of interview in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi At the end of my interview for Network manager, what are some good questions to ask? Thanks jon...

Thank Post

What questions should i ask at end of interview

Hi

At the end of my interview for Network manager, what are some good questions to ask?

Thanks

jon

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What initiatives can they bring to the job role.

Thank Post
    There's an open ended question.

As a rule, I tend to ask questions as I go, and engineer the interview into a two way process - this has usually achieved positive feedback from interviewers. I will note things on a tour of the school (which you usually get at most interviews) and remember them for interview later - it could be anything from an interesting display I've seen, to some technology I've seen in use - not always necessarily related directly to the job.

Other common questions I've asked at interviews include things about the long term aims of the school, is there a school development plan that includes ICT, how central is ICT to the schools aims and aspirations etc. sometimes I'll ask how ICT is viewed by staff in the school, is it perceived as the answer to everything, or as a pain in the backside (that can get surprising comments) other times I'll ask questions on things that have cropped up in the interview.

There's no real 'good questions' to ask, as every school is different and every interview and interviewer are different. I've been interviewed for quite a few jobs over the years, and I've also interviewed a lot of people. The worst people are those that just sit there patiently answering every question with short sharp answers - I like to see a bit of personality and dynamics in a person.
    Last edited by maniac; 7th June 2011 at 08:29 PM.

4. 4 Thanks to maniac:

Iain.Faulkner (29th June 2011), jonny_2010 (7th June 2011), pr1vate_piles (13th June 2011), theeldergeek (7th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Maniac's advice is good - ask questions as you go, have a good, engaging, dialogue. A shock question (and dangerous) : "So, why would I *want* to work here". You need to be careful with that though and 'reinforce' their answers with positive responses.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 623 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny_2010 View Post
    Hi

At the end of my interview for Network manager, what are some good questions to ask?

Thanks

jon
    If I came to you home and looked in your refrigerator, what would I find ?
    Who would win a battle between a ninja and a pirate ?
    Last edited by mattx; 7th June 2011 at 08:48 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    If I came to you home and looked in refrigerator, what would I find ?
    Now that would make me laugh, and probably stand you in good sted for getting a job - I like a sense of humour.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    Now that would make me laugh, and probably stand you in good sted for getting a job - I like a sense of humour.
    You have to have one in this day and age don't you ? I mean look at me, I ended up working for 7 years in a school........... Those teachers....made me laugh they did.....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    You have to have one in this day and age don't you ? I mean look at me, I ended up working for 7 years in a school........... Those teachers....made me laugh they did.....
    You'd swear some of the staff I've worked with throughout my career had a sense of humour bypass operation, some people are far too serious for their own good sometimes. Thankfully the school(s) I work at now have a good bunch of people, you can actually genuinely enjoy having a conversation with most of them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    You'd swear some of the staff I've worked with throughout my career had a sense of humour bypass operation, some people are far too serious for their own good sometimes. Thankfully the school(s) I work at now have a good bunch of people, you can actually genuinely enjoy having a conversation with most of them.
    I'm not in education anymore but I tell you what now I'm working with two other people [ one on the same level as me and my new boss who is just great ] - I have never laughed so much in a job. He is ex-navy and the guy I'm working with worked in schools too - sometimes we can't answer the phone 'cos we are laughing too much. This was seriously lacking in my old job.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,390 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you have no questions you could always ask them for giving you the opportunity to interview etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,473 Posts
    maniacs questions are brilliant.
    Also as I have said before, write some info down on a pad before you go - maybe refs to their website etc and refer to it during the interview. Have written down a few genuine questions, even if they are basic ones like 'size of network' and when they ask you whether you have any more questions, look at the pad, run your finger down what are OBVIOUSLY questions, and say 'thanks, but I think you have answered everything'. Then at least if your mind has gone blank you don't look a total idiot!

13. 3 Thanks to witch:

Iain.Faulkner (9th June 2011), maniac (7th June 2011), theeldergeek (7th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    maniacs questions are brilliant.
    Also as I have said before, write some info down on a pad before you go - maybe refs to their website etc and refer to it during the interview. Have written down a few genuine questions, even if they are basic ones like 'size of network' and when they ask you whether you have any more questions, look at the pad, run your finger down what are OBVIOUSLY questions, and say 'thanks, but I think you have answered everything'. Then at least if your mind has gone blank you don't look a total idiot!
    I'm looking at the number of threads where this or simelar questions have come up (there's 5 linked at the bottom) and wondering if we should add an entry to the wiki regarding interview and CV advice, both for being interviewed, and for those recruiting, advice on structuring a CV, presenting and selling yourself etc. I know there's plenty of websites covering this, but the question crops up a lot and I'm sure we can all agree educational ICT support is a little bit different sometimes.

Problem is I'm no good at editing wikis, but I'm happy to write some advice.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,473 Posts
    I was asked to create something about structuring a CV but I admit I haven't got around to it yet...too many CV's hitting my desk at home!! (joke, joke, don't worry all those who sent me CVs )

Thank Post
    I tend to get the basic questions out the way during the tour (all schools seem to give the tour now) or early on in the interview. I then tend to mark down 4 categories, but been a while since I did it so these might be incorrect, but they were something like:

1) Students
    2) Staff
    3) Community
    4) Technical

Then, think up a solid question for each category, and you have four questions that cover a lot of areas the school is bothered about, rather than just asking 4 questions about the network. I used to do this in my diary and take it in the interview with me - interviewers certainly don't mind you refering to notes during the process, plus it gives you the opportunity to take notes down too giving the impression that you are very organised and keen.

Sample questions might be (obviously do your research first):

1) Explain how PLP's (or something or other) are the new big thing and that a system can be configured in x amount of time to assist with this.
    2) Ask whether staff currently use a helpdesk for logging faults, and if not explain how you can implement to increase efficiency blah blah blah
    3) Ask whether the school holds courses for community members, and if not explain how you can put these on such as basic word processing courses to strengthen the bond with neighbours.
    4) Ask a question about a new technology that the school has not yet invested in, or better yet, ask about implementing various open source technologies that would benefit the school at minimal cost - interviewers don't want to hear about how you're going to come in guns blazing, changing everything, and spending the whole budget. Keep it to one or two systems and explain how you can make better use of them or improve on them for no cost.

Thank Post
    In more general terms questions such as "If succesful what would be the first job im given in the role"; "As you see it, how would you describe a general day in this role" and "what is the current professional development programme in the school"

They usually go down quite well.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast