+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Network Manager Interview in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I have been offered an interview for the position of Network Manager. I have worked in secondary education for almost ...

Thank Post

Network Manager Interview

I have been offered an interview for the position of Network Manager.

I have worked in secondary education for almost 5 and a half years as ict technician and senior ict technician with an acting up role of network manager so I am more than capable of holding the position.

I really want this job so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thank Post
    considering you have done it all before not sure i could be much help .

But i see you are a RM certified manager . is the school RM ? or a vanilla based network

With the current cost saving by schools , i would have a look around make notes of there current system and ask them if they would like to cut costs and heres how etc

3. Thanks to 2097 from:

ahunter (10th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Do plenty of research on the school so you know what issues they might be facing.
    Also what is the format of the interviews - are there technical tests involved?
    Look at the job spec and make sure you have answers to meet the requirements they are looking for - interview questions may be based around these.

5. Thanks to maark from:

ahunter (11th March 2011)

Thank Post
    The school is a vanilla based network or so I'm led to believe although the job description doesn't specifically say so.

As far as I know its a panel interview consisting of the Headteacher, Governor, current Network Manager and the deputy Headteacher, no technical tests involved but I'm sure the Network Manager will throw a lot of questions my way. The person spec asked for an MCSE as an "essential" requirement which I am not or an equivalent ICT qualification, I have a HND. I am confident in my server/desktop abilities and am currently formalising this by actively certifying which they know about as I put this on my application (being honest after all) I've still got an interview though so I must have impressed. at the end of the day you don't have 5+ years experience in a technical role and not know the operating systems involved lol
    Last edited by ahunter; 9th March 2011 at 03:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Good luck with the interview

Quote Originally Posted by ahunter View Post
    at the end of the day you don't have 5+ years experience in a technical role and not know the operating systems involved lol
    I can see you've never met some of the people I know (who managed rather more than 5 years without ever really gaining much clue!)

Thank Post
    I don't think they will really want to know whether you know about the operating systems ( how can they test this anyway? Unless they are more technically qualified than you.) I think it's key to emphasise that you want to provide IT services to meet the school's needs. This is about management now and you should be able to lead the technical side easily BUT if you can also demonstrate that you are focussed on the school's objectives and strategies then I believe that will give you the edge. Ask them (yes it's two sided!) about their plans for the school in 3 months/ 6 months and 3 years/ ask about their top 10 services (which they may not have thought of but it will show that you are ahead of the game) and tell them you want to bring in best practice to run the operation. Ask them what their biggest complaints are about IT and if they (for example) say that they keep having outages (ie losing money) - tell them you will be able to save them money by looking at incident management and root cause analysis etc. Your life is about to change from technical expertise to management so tell them also about the personal development that you are planning for your team and yourself!
    Good luck!

9. Thanks to wslmargaret from:

Thank Post
    Thanks for this, will take note. The problem I feel I will have is the current Network Manager will be there and as the person spec called for an MCSE I suspect he will hold this qualification, should I be worried about how I word things as I know the school have been thrilled with the work he has done and they are looking to build on that rather than change too many things.

Thank Post
    I wouldn't worry about how you word things to be honest. If you get asked a particularly techy question answer it techy, if you get asked a generic question then answer it generically. I dont really think that you can fully prepare for interviews, or at least anticipate the questions they are going to ask. Just gauge your answers based on how questions are asked and the people asking them. If you are unsure of how technical you need to be just ask.

Also, what is happening to the current NM?

12. Thanks to penfold from:

Thank Post
    The key is that you've got the interview. The interview is the critical point where you are all equal. I think you're saying that you are studying for this qualification so they know that you are going to reach that technical level. Put that behind you now and focus on what you've found out. Do you know exactly what he has done and what they are thrilled with? If so they will be impressed that you've done the research. You want to actually 'say' this in the interview. 'I understand that you've done x, x and x really well and that the services have improved (yes people do love compliments and you can say it without it being cheesy!) - then turn it into a question and ask which of these services they want to build on first. Have some examples ready of things you have improved in your current position, try and make it a mix of examples, technical and service focussed, if you can. OR If you have any examples in your previous jobs or private life of managing and improving things (eg some people are youth leaders in their spare time) then use them. The best interviewees are able to demonstrate that they understand what the school is doing and what their issues are so focus on this. eg Ask them about their suppliers, is there work needed to establish new service levels etc???/ do their suppliers deliver changes consistently with quality? Finally - do not, under any circumstances say anything negative about anything! I've had people say things like ' but that's not my job... duh. Be positive and forward looking. Dress smartly and hold your head up. Believe it or not, interviewers want you to do your very best - they are simply looking for the right person for the job. I hope it's you!

Thank Post
    The current NM is retiring I believe. This will be my 4th NM interview, on all my interviews I have always thought I did well but was pipped by internal applicants on 2 occasions previously so we will see how this one goes.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you do not have the relevant quals it is sometimes good to show how you have still spent time developing the same skill set and the lack of taking the exam is not a barrier to you completing the work needed. Also impress on the panel your ability to pick up new skills, develop new systems, how adaptable you are and examples of the above.

Good luck with it.

16. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

Thank Post
    One thing I did wonder is, is it acceptable to take notes into an interview and also make notes while being interviewed?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ahunter View Post
    The person spec asked for an MCSE as an "essential" requirement which I am not or an equivalent ICT qualification, I have a HND.
    I wouldn't let that worry you, I had an interview not so long ago for a NM position at another school which specified 'Degree or equivalent (e.g MCSE) essential' and I'm not really qualified at all, I have an 'A' level that is 12 years old now as my only ICT qualification. I didn't get the position, but I did get very close to getting it and was only just pipped to the post by another candidate. The Headteacher of the school even stated if she could have afforded to employ me as well she would have done. It wasn't the qualifications that made the difference, it was the fact the other candidate had experience of sharepoint which they use extensively, and I don't that made the difference.

I've always approcahed interviews by being very open and chatty, but not too chatty of course. You have to show you're approachable and obviously demonstrate your knowledge and skills as best you can. If you get a tour of the school, look around as you go and try and spot things to ask questions about later, for example one I asked at my interview was because I'd noticed only a few interactive boards in the school, so I asked if this was a choise of the school or if they hadn't really considered their use. I also asked and showed an interest in the long term aspirations of the school, not just ICT, but curriculum wise and any other big developments that might be on the horizon. I asked about funding and how much money the school committed to spending on ICT, and I asked about existing technical support staff, who they were, how long they'd worked for the school etc. I tend to not ask too many technical questions at interview, as lets be honest, their current systems don't really matter too much, that can all be changed in line with what you see fit in the future. I focussed more on the school and it's staff and students thowing in lots of positive comments which I find always helps.

Mike.

edit: I wouldn't take notes at the interview, why would you want to? Most schools will give you feedback after an interview, and be happy to talk about why you didn't get a post if you were un-successful.
    Last edited by maniac; 10th March 2011 at 10:38 AM.

19. Thanks to maniac from:

Thank Post
    Personally I wouldn't take notes into an interview if only due to your delivery style, if you keep reading answers from a page and not looking at the interviewers it will look like you do not know what you are talking about. I wouldn't have a problem with someone taking notes, everyone else will be taking notes so why not.

21. Thanks to somabc from:

Thank Post
    What about taking notes in that are purely based on the questions I want to ask them at the end?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast