+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Network Manager Interview in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I am happy where I am now, I would just like to move up. I have had 6 interviews in ...

Thank Post
    I am happy where I am now, I would just like to move up. I have had 6 interviews in total for ICT jobs. All have been in schools 4 have been NM posts, 1 was a Junior Tech and 1 was a Senior Tech which I'm currenty doing now although I was promoted at my last place from Junior Tech to Senior Tech.

I do always ask for feedback but have never once had a reply.

I guess having no response when asking for feedback, does suggest that it was earmarked for someone and there is no real reason why I was unsuccesful, or at least thats the way I try and look at it lol.
    Last edited by ahunter; 22nd March 2011 at 12:05 PM.

Thank Post
    I got a reply with some feedback which was good. Unfortunately it offered little consolation just makes me even more disappointed. I was second choice but would have been first choice had my answers been more about how their current network is setup at server level and not what I currently or have looked after. They have 14 physical servers with no virtualisation running Server 2008. I was asked how I would build up a new server and migrate data from an old one. I explained the various products I would use and the concept of how I would do it, but I also mentioned how it could be done through virtualisation which Is what I am currently using but I've done it both ways and explained this in the interview. I also managed 1000 users at one school and currently 400 but explained this too.

I was told that there was uncertainty in if I could run the network effectively and also that what I was explaining is not what they have now. I guess they thought I would go crazy and change everything which isn't the case, you run with what you've got, don't change anything just build on it obviously it didn't sound like that.

All I was trying to do was show good vision for the future, which they did comment on a few things they liked but I can't even get that bit right.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,758 Posts
    Don't get upset - USE the information you have been given - I know every interview is different but it may be as simple as that - they may have thought that you would be trying to change things straight away. So next time, and there WILL BE a next time, make sure that you make the comment about running with what you have got - I am sure you felt you did say it, and you probably did, but now you know to make a little more of it - make it a bit clearer - you will probably feel you are over-stating it but at least you know it has been said.
    Look at it this way - you were second choice and if the other guy hadn't been there it sounds as if you would have either got it or at least had another stab at an interview.
    As an ex-recruitment consultant, I can only say what my boss used to say to people who had your sort of experience:
    "Cast it aside like a sweaty sock"

4. Thanks to witch from:

AXE (23rd March 2011)

Thank Post
    Every time I’ve been unsuccessful for an interview, I’ve been the “second choice”.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBloggs View Post
    Every time I’ve been unsuccessful for an interview, I’ve been the “second choice”.
    Most of mine too. Except the last one I went for which was a NM position with 5 interview candidates. I was called back and told that I was number 5 out of 5! Got a little lippy in this one - we just didn't get on. Got the very next one I interviewed for. Different panel, different place. Different result......

Thank Post
    I think that could of worked in your favor. When they say you came "second", you don't change much. But when they say you came 5/5 I guess you have to re-think your interviewing technique and will put a lot more effort in to your next one.

But yes, personality will have a large factor. I didn't take a job once simply because I did feel we connected well enough. In a small dept you want to get on well with who you are working with!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBloggs View Post
    I think that could of worked in your favor. When they say you came "second", you don't change much. But when they say you came 5/5 I guess you have to re-think your interviewing technique and will put a lot more effort in to your next one.

But yes, personality will have a large factor. I didn't take a job once simply because I did feel we connected well enough. In a small dept you want to get on well with who you are working with!
    I get where you are coming from and usually this would be correct. In fact, however, I approach interviews the same every time now. I am nearly 50 and can't change or bend my personality much anymore even if I wanted to. I usually enter the room and say something like "I'd just like to say before we continue, I am a gregarious guy and what you see and hear is what you get. I will answer your question truthfully and not the way I think you want me to. I've got a sense of humour and I'm not afraid to use it, evan here. I'm not here to perform - This is me...." And then we get down to business. It works for me and I think it helps me to miss the jobs I wouldn't have been happy in anyway and get the ones that are very rewarding when I become involved as I can be myself from the off as the "personality" issue has already been sorted.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234