+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Network Manager Interview in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Every interview I've ever been at (both as candidate and interviewer) the panel have taken notes so I can't see ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Every interview I've ever been at (both as candidate and interviewer) the panel have taken notes so I can't see a problem with either note taking or referring to notes but ask before the interview starts. I think the latter need to be pretty brief - if someone asks a question about FSMO roles (or whatever) then it's not going to look good if you spend ages scrabbling through your notes to find it.

If you think the setup is good at the moment (or is believed to be good; not necessarily the same thing!) then a key part of what you say has to be about how you will build on existing systems, consult with users to see what needs doing etc You definitely don't want to rock the boat by saying "well, of course this works OK but it would be much better if we did XXX"

I'm guessing you would have some budget responsibility - you need to show that you understand how that works, particularly given that budgets are always limited. Make sure that you know that "best value" doesn't always mean cheapest, for example, and can explain how you can build on what's already been done.

Just seen your point about notes for questions at the end - I'd say that's absolutely fine. I've both done it and seen it done.

2. Thanks to srochford from:

ahunter (11th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ahunter View Post
    What about taking notes in that are purely based on the questions I want to ask them at the end?
    Quite often I will ask questions as I'm going, e.g if I've just given an answer to a question they have asked, I may slip a question of my own on the end of the answer, as long as its related to the answer of course, which then gets a conversation going and the interview becomes more like a discussion - this has worked sucessfully for me at many interviews.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    Quite often I will ask questions as I'm going, e.g if I've just given an answer to a question they have asked, I may slip a question of my own on the end of the answer, as long as its related to the answer of course, which then gets a conversation going and the interview becomes more like a discussion - this has worked sucessfully for me at many interviews.
    I've had this too in the past for a couple of interviews. One thing to note that IF you are offered the job, you can verbally accept it pending confirmation in writing. This can give you time to speak to someone to answer any of your questions that you have before taking up the job. I have done this in the past as I had a couple of questions which I thought of after the interview. Most people are happy to help and provide any feedback they can, so dont worry too much if you forget to ask some questions at the interview, you can always ask for more feedback if you are offerede the job.

Thank Post
    Fantastic, I think I should be able to prepare properly for this one. Thanks for all your help, the JD on this post is very informative too so I can pickup on a lot of things mentioned in it and follow this up with questions of my own :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    YES - Always take in some notes with possible questions - then even if you cannot think of anything to ask, and all your questions have been answered, you can look at your notes and say something like: "No, I think you have covered everything I wanted to know" which always goes over well as it shows that you have done your homework.
    Do have some good questions written down though - don't pretend!!

7. Thanks to witch from:

ahunter (11th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also, if you are stumped with answering a question you can make a note of it and ask if you can come back to that one, or use it as a chance to ask one of your questions to make sure you have enough information to answer theirs. I've had to do this before when talking about security ... I wan't too sure whether they meant physical or network security in a question ... I responded by saying could I come back to it but then asked about the discipline policy for staff and students if they misuse the network ... the answer helped me realise they meant physical security (after a spout of break-ins) and so I could answer their question quite well.

Thank Post
    Well - you've got a lot of people rooting for you! Re the notes. Do exactly what you have just said. Take in the questions (no more than 4) that YOU want to ask - if you've memorised them beforehand then the notes will simply act as a quick prompt.

It could be that one of these questions sparks off the conversation that gets you the job! And, yes, I agree with 'somabc' to a degree..... you don't want to keep looking at them or taking them so that your head is down.

Let us know how you get on. All the best.

Thank Post
    I have prepared some questions and will re-memorize them before I go in. I'll take them with me anyway though, the JD given and the advise on here has helped massively like I said I haven't really had to "prepare" for an interview before as they have been technician positions so the emphasis was always on technical ability more than anything else.

I am really looking forward to the interview now

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ahunter View Post
    I have prepared some questions and will re-memorize them before I go in. I'll take them with me anyway though, the JD given and the advise on here has helped massively like I said I haven't really had to "prepare" for an interview before as they have been technician positions so the emphasis was always on technical ability more than anything else.

I am really looking forward to the interview now
    I wish you the best of luck, you'll have to let us know how you get on.

Thank Post
    I will do, thanks everyone for your advise

Thank Post
    Well I had my interview, thought it went quite well. I found some of the technical questions a bit vague but I think I answered them as best as I could. I was told that they would be in touch but I've not heard anything yet and the interview was yesterday. They did say it could take a few days but if I don't hear anything I think I'll probably be expecting a letter in the post to say I've been unsuccessful. It would be a real shame if I didn't get the post as I really would like it.

I did send an email to the Headteacher today thanking him for the opportunity to interview, I hope that was a sensible thing to do lol.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't think it's ever a bad idea to just say "thanks" - if you have got the job it will be a tiny bit of reinforcement that they made the right decision and if you haven't then it's not going to change things.

References can be the thing which hold up job offers; where I used to work we never took up references until after the interview but wouldn't make an offer until the references had been received. This could be a nightmare; you'd have the interview, make the decision and say to HR "We want to appoint person X". They should then try to get references quickly but it didn't always work like that and it looks really bad because you're sitting there thinking "Did I get the job?" "Why aren't they getting in touch?" "Am I tenth in the list and they're offering it to everyone else first?"

Fingers crossed is all I can say at the moment (although if it helps, I think @elsiegee40 has a pretty much unlimited supply of chocolate hobnobs :-))

Thank Post
    Most places give you a conditional offer subject to references and CRB check, rather than make you wait for references to come back!

AXE
    Thank Post
    I've had a lot of interviews. Most of the time I've had a response even before they've finished interviewing other candidates. In my experience, the longer it takes for them to make a decision, the better decision they're likely to make. When I was a manager, I always let the candidates know they weren't successful as soon as I had filtered them out. I've even asked some of them to interview a second time. Hang in there... No news, is sometimes good news.

Thank Post
    Well the current NM is not officially retiring till May I believe so I guess they might just be taking their time to ensure the best person is appointed.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast