+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational IT Jobs Thread, ICT technician/trainee in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I started in September '05 as term-time IT Tech' on bottom of NJC scale 4 (pro-rata 15k = £13k-ish). This ...
    Thank Post

Re: ICT technician/trainee

I started in September '05 as term-time IT Tech' on bottom of NJC scale 4 (pro-rata 15k = £13k-ish). This was after dropping out of University, 2 years into a Computer and Business Studies degree.

Around July '06 my NM moved on to a different school within the LEA. The Head of ICT championed myself as the replacement NM. The SMT went along with this as a trial period up til December '06.

I was very much thrown in at the deep end, still doing my old Tech' job of "fighting fires", but gradually taking over roles and responsibilities as they came along. This was without any prior experience in Organisational Networks, at all!

Last month my job evaluation with the council went through and I am now on the top of scale 6 (full time £22.5k). I'm very pleased that the school took that chance on me and I am learning so much everyday. Tomorrow I have a Network Development Plan meeting, where I'm taking my wishlist to the rest of the ICT Leadership group and laying out the plans to get our network up to scratch.

Not all stories of pay in school tech positions are so bad - I'm now doing better than the vast majority of my uni' mates who graduated with degrees in Maths, Biochemistry etc.

Thank Post

When i started in industry i started on 10k after college at a local firm, then got made redundant from said firm, then for some bizarre reason started working as a chef. but whilst all this was going on the primary schools i used to look after contacted me and i started doing 1 day a week for them, after a year of doing this i got contacted by the head teacher of a local high school which in turn got me out of being a chef (thank god) and got me back into IT but only on just over 11k or around that figure (Pro Rata) but now i'm full time at the top of my current pay scale so ican't really complain to say i've only been doing this a year or so!

sorry for the life story i just thought i'd add to this!

Kris

Thank Post

Co-Incidently it is for a private firm that support/are outsourced from a Local Authority so maybe that why the difference, we will take people with more experience, don't be afraid to apply!!!!!!!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

If only I was a bit closer to 'West orkshire'... 8)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12