+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Advice pls - Notice Periods Network Manager in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; A little communication goes a long way - at least if you're still on good terms with the employer you're ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A little communication goes a long way - at least if you're still on good terms with the employer you're leaving, an informal chat will go a long way. Notice period may be 3 months but if this is not practicable, what can you do to make it better for your current employer? Maybe giving them notice of an "intention to leave" is a little direct (I must admit, I did this in October for the old company - but not out of love for that bunch of corrupt idiots, but for the hard working people who it actually would have affected) but it means they can start advertising or at least getting an idea of the market. Making sure everything is documented, and being able to show your employer that if you were to walk out the door right now/get hit by a bus, the next IT manager off the street could pick up where he left off with no real difficulty.
    There's obviously a lot more to it for individual cases but there's usually going to be a good reason to move jobs in the first place, and likewise a good reason for needing to shorten your notice period. Most employers are only human too, and frankly the link above from PersonnelToday makes me want to punch someone. There's no need to describe an employee as "errant" or to assume that the wish to cut notice period short is done in order to cause annoyance to the employer.

Thank Post
    I was on the receiving end of a short notice departure.
    The guy I took over from had a 1 month notice he gave at the end of january 2005. Advert went out first week in febuary, my interview was on the 15th. Then he went to china with the school on the 16th for 2 weeks as a prebooked holiday that took him upto leaving date.

I started on the 1st of march with no passwords, no documentation and no handover and those first few months where absolute hell. His name is absolute mud around these parts and he lost alot of work friends over the way he left.

You'd think they'd learn, but I still only have to give 1 months notice if i leave

Thank Post
    I'm going through this right now! My notice period is 3 months. I handed in my notice over two weeks ago and in the resignation stated that I would like to go after 2 months if amicably agreed. I have still yet to receive an formal acceptance of the resignation and they will not discuss the 'leaving early'. They say they want to receive a letter from my new employer seeking their preferred start date so they can talk it over with the governors - FFS!!!!! I had received the formal offer in the first week of the Easter holidays, and so sat on it for two weeks as the head and line manager would not read them until the first day back, so I lost 2 weeks there. My new employer was hassling me for a start date and were unhappy at the school dragging their heels. My new employer gave me an ultimatum on Tuesday to provide them with a date, so I did (without speaking to my line managers) as I was getting nowhere. I gave them till the end of June, which is 9 weeks working notice not including the missed 2 weeks of Easter, totalling 11 weeks. I have since emailed my manager and head stating this and again, have not responded to my correspondence!!! So all I will do is just leave on the said date (early) and they can stick it!!!!!!!!! I have followed procedure, they have not!!!!!

I have consulted a solicitor and they said all they can do is file for costs incurred whilst getting a replacement to cover the period you failed to work and not give you a reference, that's it!

So my advice to anyone, give them 'some' reasonable notice and go for it. They can't expect you to work for 3 months as your head and heart will not be in it. It all boils down to their attitudes unfortunately and if they are GOOD managers with people skills. Sadly, mine have neither!

Thank Post
    As far as I am aware, if you give them a letter of resignation then you ceave after the notice period from the date of that letter, you do not require acceptance from management. Would they require it from you?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KWestos View Post
    I'm going through this right now! My notice period is 3 months. I handed in my notice over two weeks ago and in the resignation stated that I would like to go after 2 months if amicably agreed. I have still yet to receive an formal acceptance of the resignation and they will not discuss the 'leaving early'. They say they want to receive a letter from my new employer seeking their preferred start date so they can talk it over with the governors - FFS!!!!! I had received the formal offer in the first week of the Easter holidays, and so sat on it for two weeks as the head and line manager would not read them until the first day back, so I lost 2 weeks there. My new employer was hassling me for a start date and were unhappy at the school dragging their heels. My new employer gave me an ultimatum on Tuesday to provide them with a date, so I did (without speaking to my line managers) as I was getting nowhere. I gave them till the end of June, which is 9 weeks working notice not including the missed 2 weeks of Easter, totalling 11 weeks. I have since emailed my manager and head stating this and again, have not responded to my correspondence!!! So all I will do is just leave on the said date (early) and they can stick it!!!!!!!!! I have followed procedure, they have not!!!!!
    You could have had those 2 weeks - the fact they won't have read the letter until 2 weeks later is irrelevant as long as you sent it in the mail so there is a post mark on the envelope to date the letter with, you notice period starts from that date. You don't need any 'acceptance' of a notice to leave your employement if you give the proper notice period - state in the letter the last date you will be working with your current employer so there is no arguement. Employers are able to be flexible with notice periods, but stating that they want a letter from your new employer before entering into negotiations with you is taking things a bit far - your new job is none of their business, and negotiations should be with you and the school over this, your new employer should have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Mike.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12