+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, any one work at cambridgeshire school in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; hi strange question, Does anyone on here work in a cambs school. I have applied for a job at a ...

Thank Post

any one work at cambridgeshire school

hi

strange question, Does anyone on here work in a cambs school.

I have applied for a job at a cambs school and they want me to put together a plan for upgrading their network, So my question, are cambs like lincs where they will publish stuff like OWA to the outside world or do they say no?

the process with lincs is change request to county asking for webmail.domain.county.sch.uk to point to ip address of server. Is this similar in cambs?

thanks

jon

Thank Post
    I'm not quite sure how adding OWA would "upgrade their network". It may increase the facilities provided by their network. To me, upgrading the network would make me want to look at the infrastructure ... cabling, switches etc. Look at what OS is at the desktop and servers. Are the IT suites adequate for the needs of the students. Would the school benefit from a combined addmin/curriculum network. Is Internet access adequate, correctly controlled/filtered etc. Is the current hardware capable of delivering what the curriculum requires etc. All this would come way before allowing email access from outside school. Perhaps you need to establish exactly what they mean by upgrading the network or your plan could be heading off in the wrong direction.

Thank Post
    I'm not sure you could actually answer that without knowing their currrent setup. As mentioned above, you would need knowledge of their infrastructure so I would guess this request has been made by a non IT person. Do they really want you to put together a network upgrade as part of the application process or is this for an interview presentation? If it's the latter you may be better of contacting the school to identify exactly what they are after.

Thank Post
    that is not what i am asking, i am asking if cambs cc allow publishing to outside their network.

i have already taken the rest into account

thank you

Thank Post
    You shouldn't let the currently available technology dictate and limit your ideas, you can put it in a proposal regardless. If the technology limitations of the Grid your connected to mean it later turns out not to be possible, then the school can evaluate whether it wants to drop the proposal or make changes to make it happen - it all depends how much they like the idea.

If I were writing a plan like that, presumably for an interview, it wouldn't necessarily contain specifics, it would use phrases like "Investigate whether webmail could be accessed from off the school site" Instead of a fully written plan, it would be a series of steps I would take to construct the full plan, if you like the blueprint for writing it showing the areas I would look at.

Mike.
    Last edited by maniac; 29th September 2010 at 07:57 PM.

Thank Post
    The point I was trying to make was that you could end up covering a lot of stuff that they already do, not that they might not be able to do it. But it doesn't matter as I misread the OP

Thank Post
    I do, but reading this a bit late probably.

Thank Post
    hi, just wondering if cambs let you publish stuff (eg owa/moodle)etc to the outside world?

jon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread