+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Network Manager positions in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I'm wondering if anyone could help me on this one. I am currently working as a Senior ICT Technician and ...

Thank Post

Network Manager positions

I'm wondering if anyone could help me on this one. I am currently working as a Senior ICT Technician and have been doing so for the last 4 years, at my last place I ran the network on my own for the best part of a year and half. In total I have racked up 5 years experience in education and have attended or graduated with the following qualifications:

HND in Business IT and computing
    Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (CCENT)
    RM Certified Network Manager
    RM Certified Network Technician

Currently studying for part 2 exam to gain my CCNA

Attended 2 training days titled "Managing a technicial support team"

Completed the Cisco Networking Academy.

On this basis would you think I should be seriously considered for a Network Manager position in an education setting or am I falling short somewhere?

At my last school I got screwed over, left waiting and waiting for promotion, lots of failed promises. In the end on the day I handed in my notice they promoted the guy below me without even giving me an opportunity at the position they offered him. Typical I suppose but nothing I could do as I had already tendered my resignation at that point.

Cheers
    Adam.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sure, it doesn't take much more than that to become a network manager.

CCNA is pretty pointless imo, my day to day job mostly involves working with windows server and the security side of things.

Why wait for promotion? Start applying to different schools and see whats out there.

RM stuff is also useful in education but its far better to learn the skills of a vanilla network.

Thank Post
    Well currently we are going to be an Academy, joining with another school. There are 4 technical support staff currently. 2 at each school. At one site there is me and the Network Manager at the other site there are two techies. As far as I know I am the most qualified but my network manager has more experience than me. In a few weeks time there is a position for ICT Services Manager and they are going to be looking at best matches for the job. The problem is they are telling us its not a way of obtaining promotion and you will be only considered as a match for the position if you currently do that job. In a catch 22 coz I would like to wait and see what happens but there are also other jobs out there.

I have been to a few NM interviews in the past but they always seem to promote internally.

I'm ok with vanilla stuff at my last school it was initially RM CC3 but I got so tired of not being able to do certain things I started setting up my own servers to run different services, in the end when I left it ran better than it did in the first place but was very much a hybrid system lol.
    Last edited by ahunter; 20th September 2010 at 11:32 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ahunter, Do not worry too much. Be happy at the minute that you have a stable job and know that it will get some increased pressures when you become an academy.

You seem like you are qualified enough, however I have found schools would rather take a person with the experience than the qualifications, as anyone can go through a bootcamp to get the paper, but its the practical experience that works better. I know its not what you are looking to hear, but its the honest brutal truth.

Thank Post
    Just as a general career progression, I would suggest gaining some system administration certifications such as the Microsoft certified program - it's so common that employers ask for MCP/MCSE/MCITP that it's just worth the work anyway. You can self study using virtual machnes & MS Press books and it would go a long way on your CV.

In terms of the job though, it sounds like you've got adequate experience to at least apply for the Network Manager role. Technically make sure you've got a sound knowledge of AD (and how it works in relation to your RM network), DNS, DHCP - ie. the fundamentals of a network. Also start to think about how you would manage a network and the responsibility of line management to get "your head in the right place". Understand the need to document procedure, audit everything (lol).

It doesn't sound like you're falling short at all - you're on the right path

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Easily qualified, I got my NM position on the back of <2 years techie experience (in a rough comp, which helped apparently - if I could survive there I would be fine here) and a decent degree, that isn't particularly relevant to support albeit still in computing.

The more important issue is how you interview, I found - on the day I was interviewing against two other candidates, I was apparently selected because I was open, friendly, chatty etc. and not because I was the best technically (because I know I wasn't). I think schools have a greater need for communications skills than almost any other IT support position because of the enormous range of users you deal with, both age and ability. Show you can communicate well and confidently and with those qualifications backing you up, you'll get something soon.

The only thing you can't help is the quality of the other candidates, especially in this job market, so don't take it personally if you miss out on a few - you'll get the right job eventually.

Thank Post
    Thanks guys,

I intend to do part two of my cisco soon to obtain the CCNA. Once I have done that I was going to turn my attention to the Microsoft exams. I take it MCDST would be a good place to start?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ahunter View Post
    Thanks guys,

I intend to do part two of my cisco soon to obtain the CCNA. Once I have done that I was going to turn my attention to the Microsoft exams. I take it MCDST would be a good place to start?
    I wouldn't bother with MCDST, I would look at the MCITP programmes, and possibly start with a client exam (Windows 7). Given you have 5 years experience in a networked environment and you are aiming to be a Network Manager, why would you certify as a desktop support tech? Go server admin!

Thank Post
    Become someone who people remember, and you can talk your way into pretty much any job you want with enough practise.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sk0rpiu5 View Post
    I wouldn't bother with MCDST, I would look at the MCITP programmes, and possibly start with a client exam (Windows 7). Given you have 5 years experience in a networked environment and you are aiming to be a Network Manager, why would you certify as a desktop support tech? Go server admin!
    I thought you had to start at the bottom and work your way up lol! I was going to have a shot at the Enterprise set of MCITP's starting with client and working up to administrator, sound like a plan? what are the best sources of study with the MCITP?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sk0rpiu5 View Post
    Do not under-estimate desktop support. There's a lot to be learnt from that area, especially now that you also have the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator (not to be confused with the MCITP: Enterprise Support Tech) which is classed as 3rd tier support.

Don't forget, being a Network Manager/IT Manager or whatever title they decide to call it, is not just about the technology. It's also about people management, financial management (budget planning), project management, security management, Storage Management, Energy Conservation, etc, etc, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by ahunter
    On this basis would you think I should be seriously considered for a Network Manager position in an education setting or am I falling short somewhere?
    Based on the information that you've provided, the unknown other candidates for the prospective job and the unknown requirements for the job, I don't know and couldn't say. However as all your qualifications are technology based, perhaps some non-technical certs would boost your chances, like:

1. FITS (Level 4 and/or 5), ITIL v5 Foundation and/or MOF (some sort of best practice methodology, FITS being aimed specifically at the education sector).
    2. A NVQ or other cert in either Team Leading or Management.
    3. Maybe some sort of Project Management cert, like: ISEB Foundation in Project Management, Prince2 or Project+
    4. Membership into a Professional Body, like the BCS or the IET (for IT) or the ILM (for management).

I can't comment on your experience, as you haven't listed wat you actually do (just your job title). But generally speaking 4-5 year experience in the actual sector does give you an edge.

Just one question, you've listed that you're studying for the CCNA (part 2), do you actually configure Cisco switches/routers? Cause if you do, that's great, imo. However if you don't, is it really worth it? To be certified on a technology that you will have to recertify in 3 years time that you don't work with. I would rather recommend doing another course/qualification for career progression.

-Ken

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Another to show how good you are is how you adapt when a technology you have not encountered before gets thrown at you. Some certs are a bit like some degrees ... sometimes not that relevant as to what you studied but showing the ability to study and learn is more important.

Thank Post
    To be honest my long term plan, as in the next 5 years I would be looking to move out of education and into industry, more specifically a large network company. I just feel that in the interim I should be looking to progress into network management in an educational setting. Gain some experience as a technical manager and hopefully that should give me some kudos when looking to move into industry.

At the moment I think it would be hard for a school it techie to find a job in industry.

Thank Post
    So looks like I have been screwed over again, the new position that is available in a few weeks I have been told I am not eligible to go for.

Its a new position but they want to match current manager's to it, at the min over the two schools there is only one network manager which means they will get it instantly. Don't see how this can be fair as its a new position and I'm being told I won't be considered a match due to my current job title!! I thought it was equal opportunities and everyone should have a shot?

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sounds fair to me since there is already a network manager.

It would be a lot more unfair for him to get a demotion

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast