+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Discussion about Academy Network Manager - The Priory Ruskin Academy in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Purely in the interest of fairness to ALL members of the community, go chop this thread to pieces too http://www.edugeek.net/forums/educat...eynes-50k.html ...
    Thank Post

Discussion about Academy Network Manager - The Priory Ruskin Academy

Purely in the interest of fairness to ALL members of the community, go chop this thread to pieces too Operations Manager / Service Delivery Manager - Milton Keynes - £50k ...

It really makes little difference to me or anyone you've edited/chopped but it looks a bit like favouritism... or different rules for different people... not exactly professional like the forum demands.
    Last edited by dwhyte85; 25th August 2010 at 04:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post
    Purely in the interest of fairness to ALL members of the community, go chop this thread to pieces too Operations Manager / Service Delivery Manager - Milton Keynes - £50k ...

It really makes little difference to me or anyone you've edited/chopped but it looks a bit like favouritism... or different rules for different people... not exactly professional like the forum demands.
    I've asked Mods to remove my entries to the above mentioned thread. They entries were only left in as I was asked to respond to a recruitment company on the validity of the salary to help see if I could identify possible applicants (1 identified so far). Can we also split this thread so this section doesn't interfere with questions about the above job?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    I've asked Mods to remove my entries to the above mentioned thread. They entries were only left in as I was asked to respond to a recruitment company on the validity of the salary to help see if I could identify possible applicants (1 identified so far). Can we also split this thread so this section doesn't interfere with questions about the above job?
    Grumbledook: PM, telephone or e-mail... did it need to be in the thread?

Being slightly serious ... for what you are looking at surely this is meant to be in the region of £70k to put it into the same range as similar roles across the rest of the country?
    In a round about way that is a query about salary and whether it matches the role - directly what is (I mean was) being done here, in this thread. To me it makes no difference, purely from seeing people get bashed down for it (frequently), it's hypocritical to let you get away with it... ever read Animal Farm?

"ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL, BUT SOME ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS"
    Made my point now... :-)
    Last edited by dwhyte85; 25th August 2010 at 04:44 PM.

4. Thanks to dwhyte85 from:

Jiser (25th August 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @dwhyte85
    PM sent.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Discussion about Academy Network Manager - The Priory Ruskin Academy

This relates to the following thread Academy Network Manager - The Priory Ruskin Academy to give a chance to discuss the relative merits of teh proposed salary without interfering with any questions about the job itself.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As others have mentioned ... there are a few querie about the salary on this one ... £17k for a network manager and 12k for a junior ICT technician.

They want a fair bit for the junior technician for that salary IME, having started at a similar salary (£11k 11 years ago) but I am distressed about the NM job being so low. It couls, as Jiser mentions, be a good starting point for someone coming up from a smaller school but without knowing more about the structure at the school (ie who you answer to, who does the budgets, who works on the development plan, etc) then I still think the job title is wrong or the grade is wrong.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,743 Times in 2,317 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Posts moved from job posting thread to here, sorry about the mess regarding post order.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    The Grade is related to the job description and not the Title. The Title doesn't really have anything to do the grade. They may as well have advertised for a headteacher or supreme overlord of technology. What matters is whether the roles and responsibilities of the job specification are in keeping with the rest of the staffing structure. I presume, as an academy, they don't need to follow County guidelines, so can pay what they want.

Thank Post
    Grapevine suggests that school (Ruskin) is in a dire mess IT-wise. "Pentium 266s with 2K" was the phrase used when it came up in conversation.

As for the Priory, they have a habit of paying peanuts. Everyone's got a bizarre story about the Priory.

Thank Post
    Worms and can of spring to mind and I’m not sure it was such a good idea to post the vacancy now! Certainly has provoked some debate. (Runs and hides for cover)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Grapevine suggests that school (Ruskin) is in a dire mess IT-wise. "Pentium 266s with 2K" was the phrase used when it came up in conversation.

As for the Priory, they have a habit of paying peanuts. Everyone's got a bizarre story about the Priory.
    Sounds like a horror story.

Thank Post
    While I would agree with the general comments about pay - which seems much lower than post part of the county (even Cornwall!!) - I wouldn't quite see the role as all doom and gloom.

Experienced Network Managers who want to progress are unlikely to apply unless there are other benefits (maybe they want to move to the area and can afford a pay cut etc), but the role sounds like a great opportunity for a Middle/Senior Technician type to grasp with both hands, make any sweeping changes that are needed and then move on with a solid reputation and "Network Manager" experience if/when it suits them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    .... but the role sounds like a great opportunity for a Middle/Senior Technician type to grasp with both hands, make any sweeping changes that are needed and then move on with a solid reputation and "Network Manager" experience if/when it suits them.
    At this point I'm going to presume that whoever is doing the recruiting there hasn't any clue as to what salaries should be paid, and when they fail to actually recruit anyone into the job, they review it and offer something considerably better. Anyone who applies for that job is degrading the value of the profession, in my opinion.

Mind you, I don't like the £10 an hour "experts" who advertise "no fix no fee" services either, so I guess I'm just intolerant of those who'll work for peanuts. Trouble is, someone always will.

Thank Post
    Thats why we need to put more work into having a professional chartered society. Want to be an Accountant, better be a member of Institute of Chartered Accountants. Want to be a Banker, better have passed those Banking Exams. Want to be a Solicitor, better be a member of the Law Society. Want to be Teacher better have Qualified Teacher Status. Want to be a Doctor, better be a registered with the General Medical Council. Want to be a pharmacist, better be a member of Royal Pharmaceutical Society. Want to be a Dentist, better be a member of the General Dental Council. Want to be a Plumber, better be a member of The Chartered Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering. Want to be a Librarian, better be Chartered...

Profession - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Take Teachers, you would never see a Teacher salary posted this low, it would be illegal under the The Education (School Teachers' Pay and Conditions) Order.
    Last edited by somabc; 25th August 2010 at 09:55 PM.

16. Thanks to somabc from:

techtopia (26th August 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post

The email address on their website doesn't work either!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast