+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, CV Advice - One page or two? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi Chaps and Chapesses, In your opinion which is best a one or two page cv? Just in the process ...

Thank Post

CV Advice - One page or two?

Hi Chaps and Chapesses,

In your opinion which is best a one or two page cv? Just in the process of updating mine and don't know to go for one or two pager?

Thank Post
    Oh and while I'm doing this does anyone know of a site where people criticise your CV? I want to get it in tip top shape and because I've worked for the council for the last 10 years its going to take a few attempts to get it something like.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bensewell View Post
    Oh and while I'm doing this does anyone know of a site where people criticise your CV?
    Witch will undoubtedly cast an eye over it, as I believe she used to be in recruitment. I'd be happy to take a look as I have employed many dozens of IT staff in my career history so know a fair bit about good vs bad CV's

Don't know of any web sites per se, but Edugeek is a friendly enough place, why not publish it here? You could amend any personal or business name details with substitutions of your choice, so no-one can really trace it back to you.

1 or 2 pages? Subjective really. Depends on how it is laid out. I'd rather see a well written, spacious 2 page CV than a cramped 1 page, much the same as I'd rather see a well thought out 3 page CV over a cramped 2 page.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd say two, at least that's what I've always been told and done myself.

No idea about sites to critique, but it might be a better idea to find some nice friendly recruiters or ex-recruiters and get their feedback rather than opening it up to the world and it's dog.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    It depends on skills and experience. A school leaver wouldn't do more than one page, but someone with experience wouldn't do less than two.

Thank Post
    Two tops, enough to get an interview, too much info will possibly cost you the chance of an interview.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Mine is two pages and I was offered an interview after submitting it for a job (available on request as an example).

Thank Post
    mine is 3 pages plus appendix, and references to my own biography if really interested :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,474 Posts
    I am indeed an ex-headhunter and would be happy to have a look. Two pages is fine but what is more important is the layout and information given. The most relevant stuff - which would be your relevant expertise and probably most recent job - should be on the first page so that it is right in front of the person reading the CV.

Thank Post
    I can only compress mine down to 4 pages and thats just the essentials

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NikChillin View Post
    Two tops, enough to get an interview, too much info will possibly cost you the chance of an interview.
    Mine is 3 pages, I got an interview and offered the job. My CV is well laid out, and as Witch mentions, has the most recent experience on the first page along with a personal and technical summary of me and my skills. Pages 2 & 3 are just the rest of my job and education history.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I am indeed an ex-headhunter and would be happy to have a look. Two pages is fine but what is more important is the layout and information given. The most relevant stuff - which would be your relevant expertise and probably most recent job - should be on the first page so that it is right in front of the person reading the CV.
    I'm sure Witch will agree, that some of the CV's presented can be absolutely horrendous, so it is really, really important (if you really, really want the job) to have your CV independently scrutinised. That way, you will get genuine, unbiased feedback.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bensewell View Post
    Oh and while I'm doing this does anyone know of a site where people criticise your CV? I want to get it in tip top shape and because I've worked for the council for the last 10 years its going to take a few attempts to get it something like.
    Try the Boardroom but strip out identifying info and develop a thick skin.

Thank Post
    no more than 2, i'll have a look and get back to you if you like#
    wtownsend@esp-recruit.co.uk

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Will_Townsend View Post
    no more than 2
    But it is just physically impossible for some people (like me) who are more senior in years, and have had much experience, to compress everything onto 2 pages. I do tend to tail off of including too much information about jobs I did 10+ years ago, but a CV is an overview of my life and qualifications and - as much of my working life has been in management or technology - there is a lot of it that is relevant to jobs I apply for today. If I were to start skipping details to fit it onto 2 pages, chances are a potential employer will see gaps and potentially ignore my application considering it as a "sloppy" CV.

I'd much rather present (and/or receive) a well written 3 or more page CV than a "must cram it into 2 pages" mess.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast