+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Query: Working in UAE->Dubai in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Has anyone had any experience in the middle east? Is this OK: 8500 Dhs basic salary // 1493.00 3500 Dhs ...
    Thank Post

Query: Working in UAE->Dubai

Has anyone had any experience in the middle east?

Is this OK:
    • 8500 Dhs basic salary // 1493.00
    • 3500 Dhs towards housing on-top of above // 615.00
    • Car, laptop, mobile (150 mins local + 150 mins intl + 10gb data)

Also another 1000dhs when hit MCSE and another for CCNA.

Does this sound 'doable'? My only debts are 65.00 a month for a credit card, well will be end of the month.

Thank Post
    What's the job title if I can ask please?
    Generally, the salary should be a lot higher than that if you are working for a largeish or reputable company. The trouble with Dubai is that you will be sponsored by your employer to have a work permit to work there. If for whatever reason, this does not work out, they can revoke it and you will not be able to work anywhere until you get another sponser. Also Dubai is quite expensive to rent. I can only think of two places where you could rent without having to top up the allowance and both are some distance from the centre of the city. They do have a decent bus service and the new monorail has eased the journey a little. If you have to use a car, be prepared for gridlock in the morning and evening and also some very scary driving.
    Lastly, you will be paid tax free but if you are a UK citizen, you may have to pay tax on your earnings should you bring them here.
    Saying that Dubai is an exciting place to work if you enjoy a fast paced, clubbing type of life otherwise it isnt as shiney as people think unless you are earning mega bucks.

Thank Post
    It's an IT Consultant but really nothing more than a field engineer.

Contract states they pay my way back and if they dont like me i get 2 weeks salary and cant work for any competitor for a year, they pay my accomodation or provide 650.00ish a month - having checked on Dubizzle this isn't that bad and can get a fairly nice place for that but they pay in cheques not monthly.

I've been told the gridlock was a bit better from Sharjah to Dubai as they did some road works. Having been on hospital duties for the last 5 years with my Mum who recently passed on.. the plan is to live a little more and see some new things, as well as people. I could always put a bit of the salary towards accomodation - have been told 600dhs is more than enough to live on food and washing up liquids and things like that so potential savings is good.

Thanks for the reply :-)
    Last edited by dwhyte85; 26th July 2010 at 03:21 PM.

Thank Post
    As I said, it is something new and can be quite exciting but that does not come cheap. Most landlords will accept post dated cheques and you can haggle a little over the rent. You can usually tell the landlords who are desperate as they will advertise as accepting more than 6 cheques in one year. Sharjah is much cheaper to rent in but it is pretty strict, pretty quiet and not as glittzy as Dubai. Try and get something in Dubai if you can. The cheapest places are International City and Discovery Gardens but I think you can get apartments in Dubai Marina now which would be my recommendation. If you are driving about, just be prepared for the way people drive in Dubai, it is aggressive to say the least. Also, you will be stuck in traffic at sometime during the day if you are a field engineer so be prepared for that.
    Saying that, it is a fantastic adventure with the added bonus of an easier and cheaper flights to the far east and asia for even more discovering.
    I wish you all the best there.

5. Thanks to ravens from:

dwhyte85 (26th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I couldn't agree more Ravens- I thought the Portuguese and Italians were crazy drivers till I saw the UAE; certainly made for some interesting journeys! I didn't think the traffic was that bad (no worse than say Birmingham at rush hour) but was only there for a week so could be a lot I didn't see.

From speaking with some of the staff at the school, they're accommodation was in the region of 20k per year and was expected to be paid upfront, watch yourself though on the postdated cheques- if any bounced for whatever reason your classed as in debt and therefore won’t be allowed out of country and locked down.

Was a very interesting place though and good luck to you if you do head out there.

Mark

7. Thanks to CPLTD from:

dwhyte85 (26th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    I don't know if Vikpaw posted his video on here that I saw he did on youtube this morning as he works out in the middle east so is probably a good guy to chat to as well, he's not in Dubai but Jeddah but I know he has a good life and seems to have a nice car and enjoy petrol at silly low prices.

Anyway his video:
    YouTube - Perfect Jeddah Traffic Light

Thank Post
    The school has just shafted me, or I have with my lack of understand with my contract. Next time I'll read and digest my contract not just sign because I need a job...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    How so? Depending on the issue, there may be some way around.

Thank Post
    I signed 3 months notice, not 1. I assumed it was 1 from previous jobs... at the time was desperate to work and just signed it, checked the holiday entitlement but assumed 1 month. I can understand why they're fixed on the 3 months because it'd mean I left before new term and before the decision makers are back for a new appointment. I've contacted the company who were to employ me in Dubai, they might be happy to do it but they're going to let me know.

School have made it very clear i'll be here until EO October. To make matters worse, if Dubai wont employ me i'll be jobless in 3 months - let that be a lesson to read your contract thoroughly, not skim it like me and end up trapped :P
    Last edited by dwhyte85; 30th July 2010 at 02:15 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post
    I signed 3 months notice, not 1. I assumed it was 1 from previous jobs... at the time was desperate to work and just signed it, checked the holiday entitlement but assumed 1 month. I can understand because it'd mean I left before new term and before the decision makers are back for a new appointment. I've contacted the company who were to employ me in Dubai, they might be happy to do it but they're going to let me know.

School have made it very clear i'll be here until EO October.
    I don't know whether it's any help, but this might be of use to you - Varying the notice period | Business Link

How long have you worked for the school? If you read the contract carefully you may have some get-outs or escapes. You may also be able to discuss with them and arrange that you'll work out a shorter notice, alongside a new candidate brought in to replace you, in order to complete a handover period.

Unfortunately if your contract states a longer period than the statutory notice period, it's the contract that takes effect.

You may also want to consider this - Breach of contract : Directgov - Employment

It's not a good thing to breach your contract, but if it's going to cost you a job otherwise and the school are being unreasonable about you varying your notice period it may be something to look at. You will also probably want to consider whether the school has breached your contract if you do decide to go down that rather drastic route, as it might be another way to get out.

Thank Post
    I can't breach contract, I would like to use the school as a reference having worked over a year here. Unfortunately, it is in my contract and I'm obviously pretty dim for not checking my notice.

The varying notice period bit, some of it applies to if the company have dismissed you, it's the other way round - i've handed notice in.

Fingers crossed they'll say that they'll wait until Nov, ever so slightly annoyed at myself and the school for such an unrealistic notice period for a network manager, even if i was just leaving... i couldnt apply for a job for 2 months :-/

Thank Post
    I would not recommend this, but we had one teacher who got a job in UAE, didn't tell the school he was leaving until the end of the day before he was flying out. Not really much they can do apart from withhold any unpaid wages, bit difficult to sue you if you're in the UAE.

Thank Post
    I would love to do that, but I don't want threatening letters being sent to my Dad - they can be pretty nasty, especially as the LA will be the driving force behind the letters and recouping any costs they deem necessary.

Plus, I really would like to use the school as a reference, other than a few niggles (and this) the school has been good to me.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post
    I would love to do that, but I don't want threatening letters being sent to my Dad - they can be pretty nasty, especially as the LA will be the driving force behind the letters and recouping any costs they deem necessary.

Plus, I really would like to use the school as a reference, other than a few niggles (and this) the school has been good to me.
    Who did you actually discuss your notice period with? It may still be worth asking if you can negotiate some sort of agreement. Three months is a very long time (a quarter of your employment so far by the sound of it) and surely it would be better for them to bring someone else in and carry out a handover rather than wait until the last minute and just bring someone in to replace you?

Maybe you could even negotiate so that you'll do a week's handover for free if they'll let you leave earlier.

17. Thanks to jamesb from:

dwhyte85 (30th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If I cant sort out a permanent visa here, or get sponsored or married or such.. I think Id quite fancy working in the Middle East.. Holiday'd in Dubai a couple of summers ago and quite liked the fact I could beach it in 40C sea and then snowboard in the evening..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast