+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Query: Working in UAE->Dubai in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; ...
    Thank Post
    If that is per month then it is probably too low (IMHO) as the cost of living is REALLY high in terms of food and housing. All food is imported and hence expensive. A third of the population earns over £6,000 a month and you will be competing with them to find a flat.

By purchasing power equivalent that salary is around £12,000 in the UK. Oh yeah if you lose your job in Dubai you will have to leave.

Dubai cost of living
    Last edited by somabc; 1st August 2010 at 01:05 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    If that is per month then it is probably too low (IMHO) as the cost of living is REALLY high in terms of food and housing. All food is imported and hence expensive. A third of the population earns over £6,000 a month and you will be competing with them to find a flat.

By purchasing power equivalent that salary is around £12,000 in the UK. Oh yeah if you lose your job in Dubai you will have to leave.

Dubai cost of living

I've read from people who've gone over, I know the risks involved but basically doing an IT Technician role isn't too difficult so job security isn't a worry for me, although things do happen (they support fortune 500 companies), I use a a site called cr*p-free.com which i've used as a basis which is pretty good for near estimates. Either way, it looks kind of not happening either way - but the job was to find accommodation, not me
    Last edited by dwhyte85; 1st August 2010 at 01:09 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post
    I've read from people who've gone over, I know the risks involved but basically doing an IT Technician role isn't too difficult so job security isn't a worry for me, although things do happen (they support fortune 500 companies), I use a a site called cr*p-free.com which i've used as a basis which is pretty good for near estimates. Either way, it looks kind of not happening either way - but the job was to find accommodation, not me
    If the job is finding you accommodation they will put you in shared accommodation and charge you the Housing Allowance for it.

I don't want to be too negative I have friends from Dubai and friends who are moving there and they love it. If you go over ready to drop everything and come back if there are problems then it could be a really good experience. As long as you are clear on a few things.

1) Everything is run by and for the Emirate's. It is not like the west. The rule of law is not to protect you. There are no Human Rights. If you are ever in any conflict with a local you will lose. Guaranteed.

2) Personal Freedoms are not what they are in the west. Eg. Sex before marriage is illegal, Homosexuality is illegal, Drinking alcohol in public and being drunk is illegal.

3) There is an endemic class system (racism). The non-western immigrants are treated extremely poorly.

The dark side of Dubai - Johann Hari, Commentators - The Independent
    b3ta.com qotw
    Last edited by somabc; 1st August 2010 at 01:26 PM.

4. Thanks to somabc from:

dwhyte85 (1st August 2010)

Thank Post
    b3ta link is particularly scary.

In terms of 'dropping and going', I have one debt and this would be a good opportunity for me to do something new. That said I don't want to be shafted!

They're hinting they'll wait for me, by then I'm debt free and with some savings. I'm obviously petrified I'm going to have a terrible experience like the b3ta one. I'm not homosexual, I do have a girlfriend but not married so that might pose an issue if she was to come over - TBH, trying to escape her (only kidding, or am i?).

My accommodation isn't going to be too dire, it'll be a studio - I would paste the contract but it's not allowed I don't suppose - I'm responsible for DEWA. It's one of those where as long as i've got savings to get back to the UK, I'll be OK - I'm quite happy to up and go home, a screw you guys I'm coming home type scenario as I'm well aware they might do the same to me.

I could give a long sob story with my Mums' situation prior to her death and the last 5 years but, I really would like to travel a bit -but I understand the risks aside. I know about drinking being limited to hotels, being drunk can provoke a beating (heard that first hand) - negatives aside, as long as i'm not living in International City - I'll give it a whirl.

Thank you for a level headed post with references. I have effectively 3 months to decide what to do because of my notice period, at the moment I am really excited but reality is slowly sinking in... it may not be all it cracks up to be

Thank Post
    There are good and bad sides to Dubai. There is a lot to do but as somabc said dont expect to be treated as an equal to an Emirati. As long as you can deal with their brashness and arrogance with humour, you should be fine. Have they chosen your apartment or will they chose it for you? I would say you should do find one yourself or else you could end up in the Moroccan part of IC near the sewage works. I know people who work out in Dubai that love it but I know those that hate it too so it really depends on you, if you feel for other people easily, you will struggle, a blinkered apporach seems to work for me when I'm out there. As I have said in my earlier reply, it can be an adventure, but have a backup plan if it doesnt work out. Lastly, try and retain your passport, dont give it to your employer as it might be a little harder to get back should you tell them to stuff their job.
    Last edited by ravens; 3rd August 2010 at 12:30 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12