+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, ICT Manager Interview in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi All, not sure if this is the right forum but looking for some advice. I have been lucky enough ...

Thank Post

ICT Manager Interview

Hi All, not sure if this is the right forum but looking for some advice.

I have been lucky enough to be offered an interview for an ICT Manager which is great! They have asked that the interview consist of a 10 minute presentation on my goals for the first term. While I have plenty of ideas floating around my head I was wondering if anybody else has done this before and how they did?

10 minutes is not a long time but it's not quick either and I want to get it perfect, hitting the right areas that need it.

I think I will start with getting to know how the department currently operates and how ICT is used in the classroom then go on the review current policies and see how they can be improved.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Thanks fellow EduGeekers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Keep it simple and change nothing.

Hopefully they'll give you a tour around the school first and then give you 10 minutes or so alone to prepare for your presentation. Very important - keep your eyes open and base your presentation on what you see. If you notice some old machines, mention them by location. Try to find out what MIS they are using, if you haven't used it before use that as a goal for the first term.

But really 99.9% of the time, with this sort of thing, they want to know that a) you're taking a real interest in their school and b) are nor going to march in day one and try to spen $$$$'s changing everything. The first term should primarily be about you getting up to speed. Goals such as check licensing and inventory are upto date will be a real winner here.

3. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

gl3nnym (23rd July 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the advice tmcd35 I will take those points on board.
    I will probably type out a plan on my laptop and just print out notes (as a laptop and projector will not be provided because it's talking only). It's not a problem as I don't think a PowerPoint would explain as well as I could.

Thank Post
    And talking to all the relevant members of staff to see what's required, proper inventory and infrastructure mapping - drawing up a plan with the agreement of SLT, or whoever

Thank Post
    Will take this info on board, thank you. Going to be tricky!

Thank Post
    Slide 1) I will ask to see the documentation
    Slide 2) I will cry a little inside when you look blankly and then pull out a textbook explaining how to fill the paper trays.
    Slide 3) I will very carefully (as though doing bomb disposal) investigate things.
    Slide 4) I will start writing down what things do.
    Slide 5) I will poke around and introduce myself to depts to find out what's going on user-wise.

Or: I won't change anything (apart from simple, obvious fixes) and will endeavour to keep it running while I learn how it's been put together and where the quirks are.

Thank Post
    Start with a joke and finish with a song..

Other than that - it depends what they put in the Job Desc - were any of these mentioned:

Strategy - the school will have a 3 or 5 year plan - tell them that you will build the IT Support Strategy to meet the aims of the school that they have outlined in their plan..

Service - you should tell them that your excellent team leadership and organisational ability has led to improvements in serice levels in your current and previous jobs and that they could expect service levels to improve, thus making the customers feel warm and fuzzy inside because they feel loved - this will then get back to the IT Team who will be motivated by the intrinsic rewards they are gaining from the customers - thus improving service levels further..

Training - Of course you would be willing to offer some training to end users so that they are better equipped to help themselves - this leads to fewer helpdesk calls, allowing more time to develop systems - everybody is happy!

..relax - enjoy the day - look smart - make eye contact, firm handshakes - greet people clearly - and the job is yours..

9. Thanks to carvjo from:

gl3nnym (28th July 2010)

Thank Post
    I'd be a little bit clevar here as well, remember the chances are 75% of the people in the room will no nothing about IT and the little details we all like to go into! I would base alot of your 10mins on:

MIS - SLT will be in there they love to here about this stuff
    Finance system - chances are business manager will be in there
    Aiding teaching in learning - head will be in there loves to here about that stuff
    E-safety - I.E bringing in a panic button on the schools webiste ect ect....

Then babble for 2-3 minutes about detailed IT stuff so they think they know, you know, your stuff

11. Thanks to RichB from:

gl3nnym (28th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Once again thanks for the advice guys. Interview is tomorrow so will take these details on board.
    @RichB I like the idea of appealing to the relevant members of staff in the room!
    @carvjo I have successfully managed to do the "service" part and brought IT/teaching staff together to be friendly to one another.

Thank Post
    How did you get on?

Thank Post
    Hi all, back to work now and just managed to get a spare 5 minutes.

Well the interview went well and got some great feedback from the Headteacher but I pretty much came second out of 9 or 10 people. Pretty pleased as I was pushing way above my weight but tbh I was very relieved. The job was a bit unsecure as they were laying off staff all over the place and I would have had to take a pay cut adding to that a longer commute. After the interview and finding out about the school I really didn't want the job.

Thanks for the advice all. It helped massively! I will be looking for another role soon but maybe in the private sector (want to go to London and be near my friends and the wife, they have a much better social life than me :-p ).

Thank Post
    Did 10 people get interviewed then?

Sounds like it was tough. I thought it was a new Academy and would be looking for staff instead of getting rid of people?

Thank Post
    Yeah I believe it was 10 people and all got interviewed, all with previous managerial experience. The Head said he liked my enthusiasm and said he would love for me to be on the team but there was someone there who was simply better. The guy they employed had been a manager at his current school for 5 years and another school before that for longer. He sounded the nuts tbh!

I was a bit concerned with them laying off staff too. They mentioned they was cutting cost in the support and IT departments including teaching staff. Sounded crazy!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread