+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Curriculum Vitae - Any good advice? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi all Just wondering if anyone knows of any practical do's and dont's with c.v.'s - i havent done one ...
    Thank Post

Curriculum Vitae - Any good advice?

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone knows of any practical do's and dont's with c.v.'s - i havent done one in 8 years lol so I'm a bit outta touch with it really.

I'm sure there is, but anyone have a good sites or examples of whats c.v. hot and whats c.v. not?

[yes, i am gooogling ]

Regards,
    Nath

Thank Post

Re: Curriculum Vitae - Any good advice?

Are you not expecting it to go too well when you tell them where to route their CAT5 then Nath?

I'll dig mine out for you when I get the chance mate....

Chin-up... have you ever thought about leaving the valleys boyo? There's much more work towards the South East (& smog/traffic/mad housing costs etc. etc.!!)

Thank Post

Back to my "old" roots? lol

Naaa - I luv the town too much. Not sure I could start again at the moment. I think if my best mate moved then yeah, possibly, but its nice to know i can walk down the street and not worry about the nasty ppl there are out there [just to lower the tone lol].

Besides, i'm friends with all those nasty ppl that live here lmao :P

There are a few places around - but I need to approach them (you never know as they say )

Regards
    N.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

will dig my cv out as well...

but as it stands few things that come to mind (being that dog has woke me up now 3 times in past 3 hours)...

- dont believe that they have to page one a4 page like they taught you in school mine is 3 a4 sides so two a4 pages of paper but dont recommend going over two pages i.e 3 sides.

-do have a skills section that list some of your skilss in bullet points

-do include training section with any training from internal to external.

that is it off top of my head

russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

There are some templates for IT tech on the microsoft office template site, but I found them all to be crap. I've seen some good IT CV's, if I could only find one now!

Thank Post

there are some good replies in there. as someone who was a school governor for 12 years, and sat on the interview panels, what I used to look for was a clear and concise typed cv (there's nothing more daunting than having spent 3 hours going through cv's than to try to decypher some illegible handwriting. I once had to go through 126 cv's for one teaching vacancy) If they ask for a cv to be hand written, include a typed version as well, and mention it on the application form. It could be that you're the best person for the job, but if no one can discover that from what you've written...
    You should have a list of all the essential and desirable qualifications in the Application Pack. Tick them off as you draft your initial cv.
    Employers are always looking for 2 for the price of 1, so mention anything extra that you could bring to the job, but don't overeach yourself.
    The interview panel will probably consist of the Head or Deputy, Head of IT, Network Manager (if there is one), or possibly the person whose job you're looking to take over, and 1 or 2 governors. So unless one of the governors work in IT, there's a good chance that only one other person in the room will know what you're talking about when you mention NTFS permissions, so remember that for your cv. as well. Are there any similarities between the job you're applying for and the one you're currently in? If so, highlight them. If you're looking to move up a rung, indicate that you've taken over these reponsibilities from time to time when others have been off ill or on holiday.
    The length of your cv depends on the position you're applying for, and those reading it will take account of that fact. There's no hard and fast rule, but I'd expect several A4 sheets from someone applying for the Head's job. Try and indicate that you've a sense of humour, and that you get on with people.
    hope this helps, good luck,

beeswax

Thank Post

I can send you a copy of my CV if you want. About 15 years ago, I paid an agency £200 for them to create a professional looking CV, I've used this format on numerous interviews (as you'll see from the CV). 9 times out of 10 I get an interview, and I've only missed getting the job on a couple of occasions, and 1 of them was because I lived to far away. (These we're the days when I contracted... ah, the good old days)

Anyway! PM me if you'd like a copy!

metalmonkey

Hi

I can only offer one tip to go with the above posts.

Avoid putting reasons for leaving previous job on the actual CV. Thats a question for the interview.

We had one chap apply for a job here. When I looked at his CV, it had the reason for leaving was 'because of an argument'. I promptly sent a thanks, but no thanks letter.

While it might be a valid reason for leaving, it should not go on the CV.

First impressions and all that...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

current job was interviewed by head, ict co-ord and leas leader ict consultant..

Also inlcude projects you have managed and lead i.e new install of it suite etc etc

I like to if have time start new cv everytime i apply for a job / or round of jobs as then i know it is tailored for that job.

talk to lea see if they have anything going..

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,797 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Blog Entries

Having links with outside groups is always something nice to stick on a CV ...

It could be that you are a member of BCS, the Becta Research Network (which involves signing up for the emails ... and turning up to a conference once in a while), have links with SST (you once dropped a cup of coffee on Sir Cyril) ... or that you are involved with online peer support groups, promoting the sharing of ideas and ideals to help you to move your skillset over and above what might be needed in most jobs in IT Support in schools.

You could say that you are involved with one of the leading Peer Support groups for IT in Education ... we would all back you on that one ;-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

yep

Becta Research Network never even thought of adding that one..

russ

Thank Post

Nice work guys.

All these tips - most graciously received (along with any c.v.'s would be welcome too pls - PM me pls )

Stewart - yours does sound good. I nearly signed up to one when search online but thought better of it lol It would be most welcone.

I'll get writing once i can think properly ...and once i get someone's c.v. to cop... use as an example

Many thanks
    Nath.

Thank Post

i have just recently been trying to update my C.V but its driving me mental. i dont know how to fit all the things in, wat to put in and what to leave out. can someone please please help me as writing c.v's is definately not my strong point. i have been exceptionally lucky in the past as my employers were aware of my skills and wat i can offer to them. but i am sure one day i will have to get a decent C.V. done delaying it like i have been doing for the past so many years wont help. although i feel really bad doing this can someone send me any templates of there C.V.s i would really appreciate it. thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

can i make a suggestion how uploading what you have got with previate details removed and then also in post put what you have done and what you would ike to be in the cv and we can then advise from there...

russ

Thank Post

Some CV Examples to the Wiki would be good.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast