+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Job question in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; When applying for jobs, I see knowledge of Windows XP and Server 2003. What skills do they actually want you ...
    Thank Post

Job question

When applying for jobs, I see knowledge of Windows XP and Server 2003. What skills do they actually want you to know regarding Server 2003? What are the daily Server tasks technicians perform? What do potential employers want their technicians to be able to do? I would be thinking along the lines of, user creation, back ups, checking storage, defragging??

Thanks for any help.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBloggs View Post
    When applying for jobs, I see knowledge of Windows XP and Server 2003. What skills do they actually want you to know regarding Server 2003? What are the daily Server tasks technicians perform? What do potential employers want their technicians to be able to do? I would be thinking along the lines of, user creation, back ups, checking storage, defragging??

Thanks for any help.
    It depends completely on the job. Some technicians may need to know about IIS, or DFS, or RRAS, or filestores, or AD, or DNS, or client configuration, GPO and so on. Most jobs will give an idea of the specific skills they're after.

Thank Post
    Ok, here's an example.

Providing a 1st and 2nd. line support service, you will offer telephone based assistance for all hardware and technical issues. Requirements: Knowledge of PC hardware and networking.Knowledge of Windows 98, 2000, XP and 2003 server.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBloggs View Post
    Ok, here's an example.

Providing a 1st and 2nd. line support service, you will offer telephone based assistance for all hardware and technical issues. Requirements: Knowledge of PC hardware and networking.Knowledge of Windows 98, 2000, XP and 2003 server.
    General troubleshooting practices and an overview of the different areas that might be involved in a server/client configuration. Network administration tasks such as backup, user creation and so on would be useful to know but less essential than troubleshooting experience on the OS.

That's my reading of it anyway.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,659 Posts
    At a junior level - I'd be looking for someone who could (politely) work their way round issues of users being unable to logon, and various common software, e.g. microsoft office . Comfortable with replacing keyboards & mice, installing software and hardware, unjamming printers. Preferably someone who's comfortable replacing an HDD. Pretty basic day-to-day stuff.

On the network side, familiarity with joining machines to a domain, Active Directory & GPO would be a bonus. If the post is junior, and the candidate has good working knowledge of the PCs, then server knowledge isn't essential.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    At a junior level - I'd be looking for someone who could (politely) work their way round issues of users being unable to logon, and various common software, e.g. microsoft office . Comfortable with replacing keyboards & mice, installing software and hardware, unjamming printers. Preferably someone who's comfortable replacing an HDD. Pretty basic day-to-day stuff.

On the network side, familiarity with joining machines to a domain, Active Directory & GPO would be a bonus. If the post is junior, and the candidate has good working knowledge of the PCs, then server knowledge isn't essential.
    I agree, except maybe the reason for knowledge of server might be so that they could have some understanding of a problem being caused by a policy not applying or a new machine not being put in the correct OU or the like

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread