+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, ICT Technician Jobs in College/Universities in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi All, I am currently working as an ICT Technician in a school but I know feel the time is ...

Thank Post

ICT Technician Jobs in College/Universities

Hi All,

I am currently working as an ICT Technician in a school but I know feel the time is right to move on.

I am hoping you guys will be able to help me out. I am interested in working as an ICT Technician in a college or university within the Birmingham area.

Are there any sources or locations in which you are aware where these jobs are advertised other than their website?

I know school jobs are advertised in local council websites but what about colleges or universities? If they do only advertise on their website that Im afraid thats bad news as theres too many websites I will have to browse through.

Any help will be much appreciated if any one could shed any light.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Surely there aren't that many websites? Three major universities, sundry campuses and colleges attached to them.

A couple of big post-16 technical colleges, but not a huge number.

I've found most do tend to advertise on their own site. Might be worth hitting up the Job Centre as well, I've seen a couple pass through that system.

3. Thanks to Trapper from:

sajad2008 (5th July 2010)

Thank Post
    I came from a college to a school, it was my happiest times, loved the atmosphere and there was no real pressure. Unfortunatley colleges are going through a rough time starting way back in the late 90's, budgets were tight then and are going to be even tighter now. They will still need IT support but the once premise that working for a college was safe is over. But to answer your question if they are going to advertise it will primarily be on their website, if it is not you won't find it elswhere.

5. Thanks to jsnetman from:

sajad2008 (5th July 2010)

Thank Post
    You could try jobs.ac.uk - Job Search - Science, Research & Academic Vacancies in the UK and Abroad I have seen ICT Support jobs on here before for Universities and colleges.

7. Thanks to Devontechie from:

dayzd (10th September 2010)

Thank Post
    I used to work for a large FE/HE college, they always use to advertise in the local paper as well as Computer Weekly.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    jobs.ac.uk has been mentioned. You can get a complete list of unis at UCAS - List of universities and colleges and just pick out those in your area.

I work at a university (Imperial College) and while it's a good place to work, it's not a good time to be looking for a job here - we have had a budget cut of about 10% and a good number of people have left. Almost all of those have been contractors who were on fixed terms or people who've got jobs elsewhere but there's no guarantee that we won't be looking at redundancies. I'm afraid most universities are in a similar position (and I suspect some will be worse off)

Thank Post
    I use to work at a college also. Now I'm in a school. The college was a great place to work, but like jsnetman mentioned above, the pay and security is not the same as it used to be. That's the whole reason I left and I've also heard the IT Director and a few others are being made redundant. So be careful in your choice especially at this particular time.

I found the local paper and education paper to advertise these jobs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggz View Post
    I use to work at a college also. Now I'm in a school. The college was a great place to work, but like jsnetman mentioned above, the pay and security is not the same as it used to be. That's the whole reason I left and I've also heard the IT Director and a few others are being made redundant. So be careful in your choice especially at this particular time.

I found the local paper and education paper to advertise these jobs.
    Thanks for the reply. My reason for moving on is the school im at is part of a BSF Scheme very soon i will no longer be employed by local council. So I dont know what the new company coming in will do.

What better to work at a college/uni or work for a new company?

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=sajad2008;540376]Thanks for the reply. My reason for moving on is the school im at is part of a BSF Scheme very soon i will no longer be employed by local council. So I dont know what the new company coming in will do.

What better to work at a college/uni or work for a new company?[/

It's down to the individual really. I personally enjoy the school term holidays. Plus I have the option of doing agency work for extra cash whilst I'm on holiday. But take not of what I mentioned earlier. Hope this helps you find you right job.

Thank Post
    FE colleges tend to pay no more than your local secondary school, due to incorperation away from LA control a lot of colleges are now trying to rebalance their books especially as schools are now taking students into new POST16 arrangements which offer some of the same courses as FE colleges and the failiure of the learning and skills councils rebuilding scheme. HE used to be where the money was but this has now been hit by the credit crunch. I used to work at a University and was made reduandant at the end of 2009 and ended up taking a pay cut and having to move to get another job. That said I do like the school.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    I can only echo some of the other voices,

IT tech jobs are some of those on the line along with the management at our School.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread