+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Job available in Standish near Wigan in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi everyone - Job available near Wigan for technician with 1+ years experience. If you want any more info, then ...

Thank Post

Job available in Standish near Wigan

Hi everyone -
    Job available near Wigan for technician with 1+ years experience.
    If you want any more info, then give me a shout, as I've got a copy of the job description, etc.
    Cheers,
    Amanda
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post

Re: Job available in Standish near Wigan

Always makes me laugh when I see the expression

Outstanding opportunity to develop your career in desktop and network support
    When I feel that being in a school is a real dead-end job, I mean, where is the progression path, at best "network manager" and then.......?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

... and then BSF!! :twisted:

Thank Post

Well, my last technician went on to be network manager at another school, another trained as MIS consultant at the LEA.

When we go into education, we know the pay isn't great - that isn't much going to change. Those who practice as support professionals just for the money go to industry - there is always that choice open to you. Been there, done it, moved backwards into education as a lifestyle choice.

Basically, don't gripe - plan your career & go for it.

Regards,
    Amanda

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries

At my last place a previous technician went to work for a Uni, then an ISP and then back to the Uni ... taking a nice step up each time.

I went to be NM at a school and then Asst Head.

From others I know of ... Apple Genius, M$ Conslutant, *nix guru, 3x programmers, 2x NMs in other schools (from techie), various gone to NM in business (mainly London, but 2 to Manchester, 1 to Luton and 1 to Florida).

Oh ... and some turned into teachers ... but I don't hold that against them.

Thank Post

I'm not bemoaning my job, I choose (well, the wife did) to come here from industry.

The pays not bad, I live across the road, and I get to spend more time with my kids (always a downside eh!)

But lets not pretend that for the most part, this is a career, at least not one where you can progress up the greasy pole.

All the above experiences were about people who'd LEFT the school for other jobs, or gone into other lines of work.

I'm not complaining about my lot in life, but, to claim that an ICT technician can develop a career in desktop & network support is pushing the boundaries a little!

Thank Post

Absolutely & totally agree with you - after all, a school could be compared to any small company. It's only pretty big companies like IBM, RM, HP etc., where you could climb the ladder in-house - but that would be with a lot of politicking too :-)

Amanda

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries

*ANY* job in a school is a vocation ... I still work in a school because I love it and would not want to move out of a school ...

There ahve been a few tempting jobs, but why would I want to go and deal with politics and paper shuffling and unions and trying to work out how to make the latest initiative actually work ... erm ...

Why did I become manglement again?

But at least it is in a school ... I can see the differen it makes ... but I know not everyone see things this way ... and I have nothing but respect for those that have been able to sit down and work out a work/life balance ....

I have been told having kids does that for you ... undoubtably there are lots of people on here that can tell me if that is true ... and warn Russ while you are at it ;-)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread