+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Seeking: Placement Year in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I'm currently studying IT in my second year at Reading University and have the option of doing a year in ...
    Thank Post

Seeking: Placement Year

I'm currently studying IT in my second year at Reading University and have the option of doing a year in industry before completing my degree.

As IT in education is a passion of mine - and was my job both as technician and NM in two comprehensive schools before coming to Uni - I would be interested in gaining more experience / refreshing my knowledge.

I am looking for a year-long placement starting July/Aug 2010. At the moment I am scouting for options, so if anyone knows of anything I'd love to hear from you!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you didn't mind it being unpaid, I would snap you up, however having just taken on 4 people, I don't think I could justify it!

Carl

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    I'm currently studying IT in my second year at Reading University and have the option of doing a year in industry before completing my degree.

As IT in education is a passion of mine - and was my job both as technician and NM in two comprehensive schools before coming to Uni - I would be interested in gaining more experience / refreshing my knowledge.

I am looking for a year-long placement starting July/Aug 2010. At the moment I am scouting for options, so if anyone knows of anything I'd love to hear from you!
    We could do the same as above, we're based in Slough - not too far from where you're based. I could enquire about the whole pay side of things though.

Thank Post
    Although I may come back to you about doing some unpaid work experience at a later date, I would be looking for a paid position for the year...

Thank you for replying though - if I do not do a placement, and go back next year to do my 3rd year, I may look to do some 'work experience' depending on how much free time I have!

Thank Post
    I am looking for a year-long placement starting July/Aug 2010.
    What sort of wage would you expect, and what sort of work? I work at a private girls school in Alton, Hampshire. Management have talked at various times about getting someone in to help me for a while, most recently a couple of weeks ago, so I could mention you to the bursar tomorrow and see what she says.

Being a private school we don't get any help from any outside agencies (such as a Local Education Authority), but then we don't get much interference, either. We don't necessarily have any big bits of "industrial" hardware to administer (our servers come mostly in parts from eBay), but we can get involved in, for instance, open source source projects if we want to. As it sounds like you have plenty of experience anyway I imagine we could simply split our time so one person could handle front-line support one day while the other handles longer-term projects that need some time dedicated to them, then change about day by day.

What course are you doing, in which department? I did a masters in Information Systems Engineering at Reading myself about 10 years ago.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    What sort of wage would you expect, and what sort of work?
    I would be looking at the usual sort of placement wage ~16-17kish, although if it would be pro-rata then probably a bit more, and as for the type of work - anything really; although if I'm honest I wouldn't want to be solely doing front line stuff again, I would like to gain more experience in managing a network, developing strategy etc... Your school sounds interesting, and if it's within reasonable driving distance of Reading may be an option!

I'm doing a straight IT degree at Reading - it's quite good, odd you should mention Information Systems Engineering - that's exactly the piece of coursework that is taking over my existence at the moment!

Thank Post
    I would be looking at the usual sort of placement wage ~16-17kish
    I'll mention you to the bursar tomorrow.

Your school sounds interesting, and if it's within reasonable driving distance of Reading may be an option!
    Alton, Hampshire - we're about a 15 mile drive from Reading, the other side of Basingstoke to you.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    If you send me over a copy of your CV then I might possibly be able to do something for you, depending. It'd be in a (small) university, probably a combination of stuff around online services (web, vle) and more standrad pc setup /support etc and maybe a few other things thrown in.

Based in London though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I'll mention you to the bursar tomorrow.
    The bursar says send over your CV (I'll send you a private message with my email address) and we'll have a look.

Alton, Hampshire - we're about a 15 mile drive from Reading, the other side of Basingstoke to you.
    A teacher who drives in every day from Henley reckons it takes about 40 minutes to drive from Reading to Alton.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Just a note to think about: I don't know if it's a hard-and-fast rule but generally placement during your degree has to be full-time. I should know; I had to give up a part-time job in a Primary school which I enjoyed (and was doing whilst at uni) because it did not satisfy the hours-worked requirement.

So be carefull about doing part-time during a placement year.

However, my new job passes the criteria; it's full time but term-time only. Point being contact your uni and find out exactly how many hours/weeks count as full-time.

I think it has something to do with funding; I am still classed as a full-time student(although without the student grant this year) but get discount on council tax, my student extra card discounts, on full pay; not bad!!

11. Thanks to znova from:

jamesbmarshall (12th March 2010)

Thank Post
    I think it has something to do with funding; I am still classed as a full-time student(although without the student grant this year) but get discount on council tax, my student extra card discounts, on full pay; not bad!![/QUOTE]

I did a placement year, still got my loan, free council tax, and all other student deals.... Further to this a mate at uni did his placement year part-time and this was fine!

Must be different uni's with different rules.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by znova View Post
    Just a note to think about: I don't know if it's a hard-and-fast rule but generally placement during your degree has to be full-time.
    I've just emailed my Uni to see if there are stipulations for placement year work. Thanks for the heads-up!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Our placements had to be full-time, but we did pay them peanuts too ... not the 16k-ish you are looking at. As far as we were concerned it was a bit like a grown up apprenticeship ... you would not get the same wage as a full-time equivalent because a) you are learning more skills, b) it is going towards your degree c) the school has to invest time to bring you up to speed with what you need to do knowing that it will loose these skills at the end of the 13 month period.

Some might not think this is fair but it worked quite well, until the school decided that they needed to keep the skills after losing some really good staff (ie all the placement students we had had!) and that the investment in time was just to distracting from other things at the school.

Thank Post
    the position I was thinking about would be fulltime (as in not just term time)

Thank Post
    james any interest at all in working In London?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast