+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Querying: Apprenticeships in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hello, We've had a resignation from one of our IT Techs, as we have two seniors in IT we think ...
    Thank Post

Querying: Apprenticeships

Hello,

We've had a resignation from one of our IT Techs, as we have two seniors in IT we think it may be beneficial to try get an apprentice rather than a trainee.

How does it work?

I remember from my days at VW @ Heathrow I was paid very little and offered training... is this still how it works? I am thinking that to train someone up would be better as we'd have longer retention of staff and they'd benefit from the training, we'd benefit from the ability they're learning.

Can anyone with experience within an ICT apprentice role or has employed an apprentice give any feedback?

Thank Post
    I did an IT apprenticeship 3 years ago and I thought it was very worthwile. You get paid a pittance, 95 quid a week now i believe, but you get a start in IT. its a brilliant way to start an IT career, and a lot of places around here swear by them Though you do get the odd divvy...

3. Thanks to Potato-Peeler from:

dwhyte85 (5th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Yes, I may have been one of those divvys at Cordwallis fixing commercial vehicles

I would love to do this but have concerns about a school leaver working in this environment, if the candidate was male it would be difficult in an all female school... especially if he received any attention from the girls, luckily I'm ugly as sin, pale white and ginger - yes we have souls. Female would be OK but then they may find physical aspects of the job difficult, not to stereotype - just stating my opinions, I know people may take that wrong but it is not my intention (bearing in mind it could be a 16 year old).

Expectations of a apprentice would be my concern, I wouldn't know how to push them - how were you treated, did you shadow for several weeks or go off on your own and ask questions?

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    I was thinking about this the other day about Apprenticeships and was going to ask the head if we can maybe go down this route to get someone.............

Thank Post
    We're currently putting one of our tech's thru an IT apprenticeship. This is some of the experiences:

1. Has to be on a recognised training scheme, we've put him on one thru a college (see here).

2. It's 4 days at work, 1 day at college.

3. Depending on age and Government funding it can be free or your organisation may have to pay for it.

4. For the first year, the minimum wage that a apprentice earns is 95, then after a years satisfactory service it goes up to minimum wage.

5. The NVQ program can start at level 1 (comparable to GCSC D-G) and can go all the way up to NVQ level 5 (Master's degree level), if you can find a provider up to that level, most go up to NVQ level 3 or 4*

*NVQ do not use the new 8 tier NQF, they use the pre 2006 one which is a 5 level NQF.

6. After they gain the NVQ 3, and the relevant experience. They can go for the C&G's LCGI (level 4) Diploma and the ICTTech award from the ECUK/IET.

If you have any other questions, just questions, just ask

-Ken

7. Thanks to wagnerk from:

dwhyte85 (5th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks for responses.

Unfortunately, because we have no procedure in place and as time is short for this particular role we will be looking for a trainee ICT technician. We will be putting in the foundation for an apprenticeship based on wagnerk's input & the apprenticeship website and hopefully looking for an apprentice in the summer.

I will be linking to the job from eTeach / school website as and when it's put up.

Thank Post
    As someone who has employed various NVQs as well as been one himself, I can honest say it is well worthwhile - for the individual as well as the company/school.
    Wagnerk's information above is top class too - spot on.

Shortsighted people will often say that opting for an apprentice is a form of cheap labour, or getting someone to do the jobs that others just won't want to do (I've heard them all!). It isn't though.
    It is often a chance for the individual to get their foot on the ladder, earn money, get quality training as well as experience and knowledge. It is an amazing opportunity for them to progress, while it also allows the employer flexibility with their staffing as well as the clear reward side too etc.
    Go for it!

Thank Post
    Were thinking of an apprentice (plus ICT Tech; will post up when it is confirmed)

I definatley think having an apprentice will help us but dont know the first thing - also not sure how to 'train' them - EG would the college ask for the apprentice to be taught/shown certain things for their qulaification or is that upto us?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Just FYI - I have never come across an aspect of this job that I havent been able to cope with - yes, lifting heavy kit is a problem but a) it is a problem for many young thin and un-muscled male techs! and b) a clever person can always find another way.
    Also you forget the advantage a female might have in that her hands are often smaller and can get into places to unscrew things that men with bigger hands have a problem with.
    So please don't ever think that a woman can't do the job as well as a man - she may do it slightly differently but it gets done!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stariq View Post
    ...I definatley think having an apprentice will help us but dont know the first thing - also not sure how to 'train' them - EG would the college ask for the apprentice to be taught/shown certain things for their qulaification or is that upto us?
    Yes and No, the apprenticeship program incorporates the NVQ program. They will be taught 1 day a week at college, but the rest would have to be done thru work (via on the job learning/job shadowing, giving them a book/cbt to learn, hands-on practice, etc). Evidence is then taken thru a variety of means like witness statements, personal statements and observations, etc...

The NVQ itself is made up of X amount of mandatory unit (they have to do it) and X amount of optional units (they still have to do it, but they have a choice of what they want to do).

-Ken

13. Thanks to wagnerk from:

stariq (9th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Just FYI - I have never come across an aspect of this job that I havent been able to cope with - yes, lifting heavy kit is a problem but a) it is a problem for many young thin and un-muscled male techs! and b) a clever person can always find another way.
    Also you forget the advantage a female might have in that her hands are often smaller and can get into places to unscrew things that men with bigger hands have a problem with.
    So please don't ever think that a woman can't do the job as well as a man - she may do it slightly differently but it gets done!
    I agree, it doesn't matter if the person is male or female, both can do the job equally great (or equally not-so-good - depending on the person).

I do have to say that the last 3 times we advertised, I believe in the 60+ applications we received (for the 3 jobs over the last 5 1/2 years) we only had 1 or 2 females apply

-ken

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wagnerk View Post
    I agree, it doesn't matter if the person is male or female, both can do the job equally great (or equally not-so-good - depending on the person).

I do have to say that the last 3 times we advertised, I believe in the 60+ applications we received (for the 3 jobs over the last 5 1/2 years) we only had 1 or 2 females apply

-ken

I know and it is a real shame. Just seen a girl who is finishing a btec in IT though, ideally suited for a job as a tech and seems keen so I shall be trying to help her find something locally

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    I personally wish i had got onto an Apprenticeship type course when i first got my job in IT 19 months ago at the age of 17, as although i have learn't a lot i don't have any qualifications to say that I know what im talking about - which is a shame as i really want to be starting to move on soon up and off to better things!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    I personally wish i had got onto an Apprenticeship type course when i first got my job in IT 19 months ago at the age of 17, as although i have learn't a lot i don't have any qualifications to say that I know what im talking about - which is a shame as i really want to be starting to move on soon up and off to better things!!
    Ever thought about seeing if there's funding in your area for the NVQ program or even a full apprenticeship? In some area/colleges they have limited funded places for over 18's. Got an e-mail thru from our local college to say that they have limited funded places.

You may be able to jump straight to level 3 (bypassing level 2). You never know.

Alternatively there's always the HNC/HND/degree route part-time in the evenings (for 2 to 5 years at 2 evenings a week). And/or there's FITS level 4 & 5

-Ken

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato-Peeler View Post
    I did an IT apprenticeship 3 years ago and I thought it was very worthwile. You get paid a pittance, 95 quid a week now i believe, but you get a start in IT. its a brilliant way to start an IT career, and a lot of places around here swear by them Though you do get the odd divvy...
    I was on 150 for the first year. In the second year you go onto minimum wage if it's a modern apprenticeship...I'm still on a uni course with a few apprentices, and I think if you speak to 80% of the employers of people on my course they'll tell you it's well worth it.

I don't know whether skillsbase would cover your area, but they're good to talk to regarding taking on apprentices, and if they don't cover you they'll be able to give you the contact number of someone in your area. They were also looking at offering 'first year free' apprentices when I was last enquiring about getting an apprentice in at our place...
    Last edited by ljlbray; 8th March 2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: just remembered something else...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast