+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, IT Technician vs IT lecturer in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi guys and Girls I would really appreciate your ideas and help if you can help me out! Currently i ...

Thank Post

IT Technician vs IT lecturer

Hi guys and Girls

I would really appreciate your ideas and help if you can help me out!

Currently i am working at a school as IT Technician for about a year now, pay is not much (term time- 15,000.)

A couple of days ago i had another interview, the role was IT Lecturer at a private IT training company.

They offered me the job but salary wise we are still negotiating. The company said they will give me training for six months, but the question is since i do not have any teaching qualification or PGCE but only degree in business, am i able to teach legally? or do i not need any qualification since the people i teach are above 16years old. Also do you think the company will train me so that i recieve a microsoft cert that allows me to lecture student? The teaching courses that i'll be teaching are more or less IT support and Technician Level 2 and 3 levels city and guilds or NVQ.

Thanks for your help guys n Girlz!

Thank Post
    You will not be a teacher as such but rather a trainer which does not require any special qualifications.

There could be restrictions set by the qualification body you are teaching, eg city and guilds or NVQ etc.

Thank Post
    ooo i see. Is this firm i am going to work similar role to college lecturers? because its pretty much the same NVQ or City and guilds teaching standard.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Pretty sure there are no regulations concerning who can work in a private training company - they wouldn't offer you the job if there were.

I'd guess the only worry you might have is how stable the company is. There are plenty of training companies that have been around a long time and are very good but there are some who are not.

If there's a local FE college offering similar courses, will they get enough students at your company? It's quite possible that the company will offer far better training than an FE College (I've worked in one that was very mixed - some brilliant lecturers and some rather less so...) and students will flock to it. If that's the case then you should have a good, stable, enjoyable job!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 1,025 Posts
    For this kind i thing i think you can do without QTS (qualified teacher status) as so i beleive you only need this kind of qualification to work with people in school/college etc. It does depend on the qualification. My old head chef left the pub i used to work in as a sous chef to start training head chefs for a private company with no actual qualifications apart from his few gcse's from way back when he was in school and his NVQ

Toby

Thank Post
    Yeh the company has been around for quite some time and i did my IT training there! they are also expanding in business as we speak. I guess thats true that you do not need any PGCE or QTS.

Too bad i couldn't rememeber the training (least i hope its some sort of trainning) the director told me on the phone which i was going to take during the first 6 months ! otherwise i could of google it and see whats involved.All i could remember was a 3 or 4 letter long course----> X.X.X course

Damn!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread