+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational IT Jobs Thread, How long were you a technician, how long would you expect someone to have been a tech in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I go to work, do my job which involves both technical aspects / manager aspects / dogs body aspects / ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    I go to work, do my job which involves both technical aspects / manager aspects / dogs body aspects / dealing with children aspects / dealing with parents aspects / dealing with teachers / I make honey / I feed the animals & clean them out - I get paid, I go home - I don't give a monkey's what my job title is - anyone who does in my opinion needs to chill out.
    If anyone asks me what I do or what my job title is I inform them - 'Everything & a bit more.......'

Thank Post
    I was a technician for 3 years and now been a network manager for 2 half years.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    I go to work, do my job which involves both technical aspects / manager aspects / dogs body aspects / dealing with children aspects / dealing with parents aspects / dealing with teachers / I make honey / I feed the animals & clean them out - I get paid, I go home - I don't give a monkey's what my job title is - anyone who does in my opinion needs to chill out.
    If anyone asks me what I do or what my job title is I inform them - 'Everything & a bit more.......'
    true. but having a different status within an org [note not necessarily different job title] may affect how much of the dogs body stuff you end up having to do.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    true. but having a different status within an org [note not necessarily different job title] may affect how much of the dogs body stuff you end up having to do.
    Arrrrr, but here is the special bit - I'm not daft - if it's something that: A: I should not be doing, or B: Don't want to do, then I just say that magic word.............'NO'

Thank Post
    I would say 1-3 years. You have got to have some sort of idea where you want to be in 5-10 years time and take risks in this. As soon as you stop learning, being challenged, enjoying it or face a road block, its time to move on. You got to think of yourself nowadays, think of your career prospects, which there are none in a school unless you move somewhere else or become a teacher - company loyalty has long gone.

If you any ambition in life realistically you don't want to be seen as or stereotyped of having just sat in a school as a bog standard tech for many years on the same salary, which lets face it, is awful. Most people I have known from interviews, family, friends etc think the school environment isn't a real work place and that image probably won't change unless you can sell yourself well. Unless of course you have some sort of reason to sit in a bog boring i.t. tech position such as family or what have you.

Personally I get itchy feet within a bit of time in jobs but the positives are working in the school are IMO job satisfaction (some times) - I enjoy working in the school environment, it can be nice to work with the students. + The school trips if you can get in with the right teachers ; ) There can also be random stuff to get involved in within the world of I.T. wearing many hats. Its less of death by cubicle in a school as well - now that is a pro! Just have to weigh up the pros and cons.
    Last edited by Jiser; 11th August 2010 at 05:40 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12