+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, A little advice, please in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; ...

Thank Post

A little advice, please

So after a couple years of jobhunting I got my first interview, but it's only 3 month temporary with a possibility of becoming permanent, I wasn't even expecting a reply from my application but I guess I got lucky.

I was just wondering how often is this possibility of becoming permanent 'real' or is it just put in there to lure applicants in?

this is the full description:

Desktop Support/IT Support/1st Line Support/IT Technician

My client urgently requires a Desktop Support Officer on a Temporary to Permanent basis. The initial contract will be for 3 months. This will ideally suit someone looking to start their career in IT Support, or someone with 1-2 years experience in a similar role. You will be responsible for PC Builds, configuration of PCs and laptops, and desktop support (Windows XP/Windows 7). This will be a customer facing role providing deskside support. Rates may be negotiable, £8-£9/hour initially.
    I'm not even sure what type of place the job is in I guess i'll ask if I call them back about the interview.

the problem is I have bills to pay and if I leave my current job (petrol station..) for this for 3 months and then it doesn't become permanent I'll be screwed cause I won't be able to come back to this.

Thank Post
    Best advice I recieved when in a similar situation was...
    Go for the interview, don't even think about if you'll accept the job or not untill you have it
    You can always ask at the interview under what parameters it will go temp-perm (or temp - no job).

p.s personally if your happy with your current permenant position, I wouldn't risk it... unless the new job would offer you a chance to prove yourself in a significant way.

Thank Post
    I think a lot of agencies use 'Temp- to perm'. I think they use it as like a probabation period like in any other job really to see if the company like you and you like the company/role.

Thank Post
    Sometimes it is used to assess what can be achieved/solved by the post.

In my experience of education, Headteachers hate to commit funding to additional (non-replacement) posts. Sometimes it possible to compromise and be allowed to advertise a pre-determined short contract.

The thinking being that the headteacher only has to find the funding for the initial short term, but that the instigator can gain evidence of what has been achived and maybe fight to make that post permenant.

If i found myself in the situation mentioned above i would go out of my way to make myself indispensable.

EDIT. Just noticed this may not be an education post. The logic may still apply though.

Thank Post
    thanks, I decided to go for it.

however once I called they basically told me they were looking for someone with experience.

I don't know why they bothered leaving a message for me.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread