+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Interview questions and answers (I hope) in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; ...

Thank Post

Interview questions and answers (I hope)

While preparing for an interview, I trawled thru' a few helpdesk sites, and came across these questions, some with answers, and some I modified myself. Maybe these can be of help to other new interviewees, and if any more experienced members have any opinions I would be grateful of that too..........

Interview Questions

Question: What is the command line command to check all of the IP settings of a computer?
    Answer: Ipconfig/all

Question: What does DHCP do?
    Answer: DHCP allows a computer to receive an IP address dynamically whenever it connects to the network. This is as opposed to a static IP address, which must be manually specified on both the router and the operating system.

Question: Describe how DHCP works?
    Answer: By using the Dynamic Host Control Protocol, IP address are assigned dynamically to a PC or printer at the time it is first logged into the network. In fact all of the configuration information (gateway, DNS server information, etc) is delivered to the client PC. In this way the administration overhead involved with network connectivity is drastically reduced.

Question: What is a Raid Array?
    Answer: A RAID array is a grouping of hard drives. This array distributes data across multiple disks, but the array is seen by the computer user and operating system as one single disk. RAID can be set up to serve several different purposes.

Question: What is DNS and What Does It Do?
    Answer: The Domain Name System (most commonly referred to by its abbreviation DNS) is the system used by the internet to translate your domain name from its commonly used URL (i.e. Example Web Page) into its true numerical IP address (ns1.example.com 12.34.56.78). Those addresses are also commonly referred to as name servers.

Question: If a userís computer wont logon to the network describe how you would troubleshoot the problem?
    Answer: Check the cables are connected to the proper network patch, try another patch input. Check the users Cap/Num locks are not on. Check AD to make sure the user has no restrictions on his account, Check if any other users in the area have similar problems. Reset P/word.

Question: What is group policy, and what if any use would it be to a school?
    Answer: Group Policy is a set of rules which control the working environment of user accounts and computer accounts. Group Policy provides the centralized management and configuration of operating systems, applications and users' settings in an AD environment. This can prevent pupils from entering certain sites, or messing around with computer configuration files, prevent them from from hacking certain progs on their systems.

Question: Give a summary of AD?
    Answer: A Microsoft product that allows organizations to centrally manage and share information on network resources and users groups, computers and networks while acting as the central authority for security.

Question: Someone can't get on the network as they forgot their password, what do you do?
    Answer: Reset their password using AD

Question: what is shadow copies? Had to make this one up so made a guess and then gave some websites I could check to confirm.
    Answer: Automatically creates daily backup copies of files and folders. Users can also create "shadow copies" by setting a System Protection Point using the System Protection tab in the System control panel. The user can be presented multiple versions of a file throughout a limited history and be allowed to restore, delete, or copy those versions. This feature is available only in the Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions of Windows Vista and is inherited from Windows Server 2003
    Question: What would you do if you were faced with a problem that you could not solve?
    Answer: Any problem can be solved with the right resources. Get help and keep working it until it is fixed.

Question: Your network is experiencing periods of slow response, and you are asked to find a solution. What troubleshooting techniques would you employ to resolve the problem? Your solution can involve hardware or software and has no budgetary restrictions.
    Answer: Your answer should include the use of network monitoring and performance utilities, the use of protocol analyzers to isolate network congestion, and periods of high bandwidth utilization, as well as innovative solutions in moving to Fast Ethernet, switched topology, or reduction of LAN protocols to preserve bandwidth.

Question: What would you do if a customer rang up and was really abusive?
    Answer: Let them vent. Empathy. Stay calm, will encourage caller to calm down. Determine root problem. Acknowledge past failures. Make commitments and stick to them. Some organizations have policies on handling abusive customers, know the policy.

Question: If you can't work out a problem what would you do?
    Answer: Say so. Escalate/ provide workaround if possible. Follow up to ensure reassigned job was done to customerís satisfaction. Learn what the solution was.

Question: What do you want to do in 5 years?
    Answer: I would like to see myself still working in IT in a position of more responsibility. (or whatever)

Question: What is Active Directory?
    Answer: Utility to manage user accounts, computers and objects on a windows 2000 domain. (I know thatís not the exact meaning of it but thatís what they normally are looking for in an interview).

Question: If a user calls up unable to log into their machine what would you check?
    Answer: They are typing the correct username and password (and even domain), that they don't have the caps lock on or num lock (this is important on a laptop since it turns some of the letter keys into num keys), that the user account is not locked out or disabled, that the computer is plugged into the network and the link light on the network card is on.

Question: Give an example of when you gave good service to someone.
    Answer: This one time where a customer came to me asking which product was better out of the 3 we had and I explained to her in detail what the pros and cons of each one was and helped her make a good choice. (Yes not much to this one just make something up it doesnít have to be true).

Question: Give an example of when you gave bad service.
    Answer: This one time I was so busy that it took me an extra day then usual to get back to a customer.

Question: Whatís one of your good qualities?
    (This is for you to make up).

Question: Whatís one of your bad qualities?
    Answer: I am a workaholic. Or I don't like leaving things unfinished. (cringe)

Question: If you can't work out a problem what would you do?
    Answer: I guess you could say while you are learning the ropes you would seek help from co-workers and also work within their escalation system

Thank Post
    The technical ones your unlikley to get asked in a education sector interview... I think I've only had one interview in IT when they went theory technical big time. Most of the time they get you to do a quick half hour test, and this is also the only time you get to meet one of the current IT staff.

interviews usually revolve more around the thought processes and the type of person you are.... Also when answering questions, try to give examples

I.E
    Question: Give an example of when you gave bad service.
    Answer: This one time I was so busy that it took me an extra day then usual to get back to a customer.
    Why were you so busy? What steps did you take to ensure the customer knew about the delay? how did you explain it to your manager/them? How did you stop it happening again?
    Last edited by mossj; 7th February 2010 at 09:48 PM.

Thank Post
    Do we have to have this here? Fair enough you have researched the answers and understand them but I would not want to interview someone who reads this an hour before the interview and does not really understand the thinking behind the answers?
    Last edited by somabc; 8th February 2010 at 11:00 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Key is that your interview process should bring those people out. I also suspect that just reading this list will not make you be successful in an interview.

Russ

Thank Post
    I don't think this is the best way to go in an interview...

I was asked technical questions, staff management & a lot of service based questions, IMO the latter is common sense - if you need to revise it you may find it difficult working in a school without supervision.

Thank Post
    Also you'll find that they ask questions not to always find out how technical you are but how you deal with certain situations/pressures/thinking on your feet.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread