+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, prioritisation probs in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; ...

Thank Post

prioritisation probs

I"ve got an interview coming up soon, and I know I'm gonna get asked maybe a question on priorities

Got a question here concerning the prioritisation of users/managers etc.........

1.You get a call from the head saying his printer doesn't work, a call from the office staff saying that can't login to their pc's and a teacher call to say that the kids in her class canít get their computers to work, what order would you do the calls in and why?

I would say you would sort hout the class full of kids first, as this would keep the kids working, Then the office staff who need to work on school administration, then lastly the headmaster.....who could simply use another untill the main stuff is sorted out.........

Am I right or totally wrong?

Cheers

Thank Post
    I'd say the same, although if the office was a quick fix in terms of changing a password which takes a few seconds, then I'd probably do this first before sorting out the class.

Thank Post
    thats what i would do but i would get a message to the others to say what is going on education is the priority for me anyway.

if the class is year 10 and 11 i would get to them first but im sure you would have a tech so spreading the jobs betwen you all is the best option

Keep everyone informed seems to help when things get tough.
    Last edited by round2it; 7th February 2010 at 08:40 PM.

t_h
    Thank Post
    I had a similar Q&A on my interview, and in my opinion I think as long as you can justify your answer you can't go far wrong.

For example even though education taking priority is perhaps the answer they may be looking for, you could say that a 60 second call to the head to tell him or her to select a different printer and keep the lesson waiting a few minutes may be the most efficient way to prioritize rather than hold up the head (who may need this document urgently) as you suspect you could be in class for quite a while. I said something very similar in my interview and I got the job so I can't have been far wrong!

Just give them a sensible, well-reasoned answer and you should be fine.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    I think we all use that exact same scenario during interviews tbh and its always the greater impact that is wanted first, so a class of 30 students who cannot logon is priority, followed by reudcing number then the single. Its often the head needs a toner / print etc, a few users then a class, or mine which is Class of kids, Head cannot print and Site Manager wants a hand moving a load of exam desks and chairs..... (the order is class of kids, head's printer and then tables and chairs)

Thank Post
    Ask for more information... Have you got any co-workers? Where are the problems? Have you got a mobile? etc etc

For example you could have a co-worker seconds away from the head, so phone him first and thats that one sorted..

or if you have the use of mobiles (rare) but it does happen.. Then you can sort out certain problems on the move... For example I used to VNC onto my pc, from my phone and change passwords whilst walking to a different job on the other side of the school.

To be honest if I was in my office when i took these calls... None else around... No Mobile
    1. Change password (10 second job)
    2. Classroom
    3. Head
    Last edited by mossj; 7th February 2010 at 10:57 PM.

Thank Post
    Just remember to take into account that the office issue may not be password related so may not be a quick fix.

Thank Post
    Just give them a sensible, well-reasoned answer and you should be fine.
    You'd hope that would be true but in my old job someone was at an interview...

Q - What is the maximum demand (peak expected load) of the (transmitting) station?

A - 2 megawatts.

Questioner - no its 2000 kilowatts

Remember - some people on the interview panel have only "borrowed" their questions and can't accept reasonable alternative answers

But would you want to work at a place that didn't accept your alternative well-reasoned answer

If the school was due an ofsted the next day then the head would take priority!

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    If the school was due an ofsted the next day then the head would take priority!
    No he wouldn't. The priority has to go to the area of greatest impact.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by celticglory View Post
    I"ve got an interview coming up soon, and I know I'm gonna get asked maybe a question on priorities

Got a question here concerning the prioritisation of users/managers etc.........

1.You get a call from the head saying his printer doesn't work, a call from the office staff saying that can't login to their pc's and a teacher call to say that the kids in her class canít get their computers to work, what order would you do the calls in and why?

I would say you would sort hout the class full of kids first, as this would keep the kids working, Then the office staff who need to work on school administration, then lastly the headmaster.....who could simply use another untill the main stuff is sorted out.........

Am I right or totally wrong?

Cheers
    I'd say this was correct. The aim, at the end of the day, is to maintain as little disruption to teaching and learning as possible. Like you say, the head can use another computer, and should agree that teaching and learning comes first.
    I had more or less the exact same question in my interview 10 months ago, and answered along the same lines and I got the job and was told my answer to the question was what they were looking for.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by celticglory View Post
    a call from the office staff saying that can't login to their pc's
    Cheers
    It just states that the staff can not login to there pc's - yes password is a fair bet but it could be something else

1. classroom full of students as the education for them is the most critical.
    2. Members of staff who state they can't login ( again which may or may not be the password )
    3. Head master.

Thank Post
    I think you should ask for more information on this question, it could be 3:00 and the class want to watch some news thing on espresso and the head and office are trying to sort out a letter for going home to parents that night, I had similar questions at a recent interview and they told me I had a good answer when I said this. I would always put a priority to the kids in the classroom but you need all the information before you can do this.

Thank Post
    I came across a similar question when I was interviewed for a network manager job, except the problems where non-specific. I said that in normal circumstances the students needs would be given highest priority, followed by the office staff, then the HT.

I said that if I got the job the School would be paying me to make these judgements on a daily basis; wherever possible I would endeavour to understand the wider picture before committing resources to deal with problems and if in my judgement the priority needed changing from the norm I would do so and be prepared to justify my decision. I did say that ultimately the final decision lay with the HT, and if he was not happy with my decision he could always change my priorities

14. Thanks to broc from:

SimpleSi (8th February 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread