+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Staffordshire Job evaluation - Are you affected? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Going back to numbers in my school(STAFFORDSHIRE) sallary cuts reach as high as 11000 mine 3000 increases range from 11 ...

Thank Post

Re: Staffordshire Job evaluation - Are you affected?

Going back to numbers in my school(STAFFORDSHIRE) sallary cuts reach as high as 11000 mine 3000 increases range from 11 pounds to 300 pounds. there are number of staff who are "not affected" at the moment. But they will not get a pay rise ever. in numbers they are classed as not affected.

MORE IMPORTANTLY ALL AUTHORITIES ARE ON PURPOSE DOING AT DIFFERENT TIMES SO THAT IT DOESNT MAKE A NATIONAL NEWS. IN NEAR FUTURE ALL THE AUTHORITIES WILL GO THROUGH IT AGAIN EACH AT DIFFERENT TIME. ITS POLICY OF DIVIDE AND RULE. CANT THE UNIONS SEE IT. ITS NATIONAL ISSUE NOT LOCAL.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

menu bar is fine on FF2 here

Thank Post

I work in a school in Tamworth. I have been their for just over two years working as an ICT technician. I got promoted to Network Manager on the 1st of Nov as the old network manager retired. Well nearly ten days into the job then i get this letter stating i have a 5K paycut. In all honesty i would be better off working in my previous role (no change in salary) as there is little or no responsibility compared to what i have to do now.

It angers me that they think that is ALL your job is worth. I have two technicians to manage (one supports 4 primary schools) and as far as i am concerned the network at this place is only going to get bigger and i really cant see the school rushing out to get another technician to help us.

The head and one of the deputies (my line manager) think they can get round this by changing everyones job titles around but cant give anymore details till the end of the year. I have made it clear that if my salary went down then i would have to leave.

At our school me and the bursar have seen the largest drops. Most of the admin staff are all on the same point even though they all do different jobs and have different responsibilities (in effect they have all seen a drop in salary). Some of the LSA's have seen a little rise but most remain on the same salary. The only two people to benefit are the cleaner and litter picker as far as i can see. For some reason our senior site supervisor is now on less pay than the assisstant site supervisor, how they figured that one out i will never know.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,117 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have heard of a number of LAs doing this ... NCC did it a while ago and most people didn't see any difference (and those that would have are employed at Foundation schools ... ie formaer GM schools ... so they control their own salaries) but the worst I have heard of so far is Staffs. Would it be possible for a member from Staffs to actually get the other members together (or chat to them) and also get an official response from the local union reps about the situation?

Teachers had the NUT to fight their case in a major way ... this is one for unions to fight, but if we can get evidence together for them it might help.

Thank Post

I attended a meeting at my daughter's Foundation/GM school a couple of weeks ago. The Council want to close the 6th form, and those of a few other schools to build a larger 6th form college. When I asked about the Foundation status, the council rep said that the government would simply stop the funding for our 6th form.

Thank Post

That may just be good old fashioned FUD (Fear Uncertainty & Doubt) as it would spoil the LAs plans for 6th form college(s) & the significant funding opportunities they present.

If I recall correctly, 6th form funding comes from the Learning and Skills Council, and as far as my LA is concerned, the LSC continues to fund 6th forms in Church Schools as well as the City's three 6th form colleges.

Also, it is my understanding that at least two schools in the City (1x Church & 1x Foundation) have made it clear they wish to develop 6th forms in the near future & there is plenty of parental support for this. I don't believe either school has been turned down by the LSC, nor have the existing schools been told their 6th forms are under threat.

I reckon if more schools decided to go 'Foundation' they could seriously upset the Job Evaluation and BSF programmes being imposed upon us......

Thank Post

As I said, my daughter's school is already Foundation. As part of the reorganisation a local RC school is to have it's 6th form closed. They need to close some of these 6th forms in order to make the 6th form college (which has yet to be built) a success, of sorts. The daft thing is that a secondary school with falling rolls has had the requisite £2 million input from a local businessman, so will be rebuilt as an academy, keeping its 6th form.
    It may be that the council are blustering, but they won't have much of a battle judging by the turnout. I must make it clear that I don't work at this school

Thank Post

If you want to see what is happening with Job Evaluation elsewhere in the country:

Take a look at http://www.labouruniondigest.org.uk/...php?page_id=13

In fairness, this only seems to report 'bad' news, I am sure there are some LAs elsewhere in the country that have managed to get Job Evaluation right, aren't there? .... anybody...... hello..... is there anybody there

Thank Post

I am network manager in a london school and we have been informed that all the school in the borough will have managed IT services. control and choice will be remove from each school and they will be told what they can have.IT staff will no longer be employed by the borough but by the COMPANY. So no guess's what will happen to our pay and contracts.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Hi Rockeby

What your talking about is bsf (do a search on this forum) which is different in sense that government pfi scheme...

Wont go into bsf on this thread as tends to get bit heated but as said have good look even a special forum section for it

Thank Post

A liitle birdy tells me that schools will be made exempt from this job evaluation in staffordshire due to a clause saying goveners say what pay staff are on.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers
    A liitle birdy tells me that schools will be made exempt from this job evaluation in staffordshire due to a clause saying goveners say what pay staff are on.
    Apparently not. I had an e-mail from Jim Savage (Deputy Corporate Director (Human Resources)) on behalf of my local County Councillor (too lazy to reply himself and took 7 weeks to do so!) saying that this was not the case. I'll post his comments on it tomorrow as the e-mail is on a different PC!

Thank Post

How much is your head fighting newbus? Our's has said they will take the council to court (its an option) or just not do it , they can apparently "opt out", she tells us. She's refusing to allow the pay cuts.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers
    How much is your head fighting newbus? Our's has said they will take the council to court (its an option) or just not do it , they can apparently "opt out", she tells us. She's refusing to allow the pay cuts.
    Not quite sure about taking them to court, but he is being exceptionally supportive. The School is looking at adjusting the job descriptions and is helping with the appeals process. Indeed Radio Stoke were in here on Friday doing interviews!

Thank Post

As promised, from Jim Savage -

'The County Council are the employer of staff in community schools, and heads and governors are expected to adopt the locally agreed pay structure. The Governors can therefore propose the grade for the post, but the CC has a say in this because the CC as the employer holds the liability for any equal pay issues. Because of this we are doing some work to develop a template approach for standard JD/PS for admin and clerical roles, on top of a similar approach already in place for TA/HLTA roles that will mean an easier local management access into and management of JE and recruitment/grade setting. Note, this does not change the evaluation for roles, but merely 'package' it up so it is easier to manage locally.

Foundation, Aided and Trust Schools, the CC is not the employer. These Chairs of Governors are the employer and have more choice on whether to use the CC pay structure or not. If they choose not to then they will independently need to ensure they pay environment is equal pay compliant, and will likely have to negotiate with the trade unions on this. The diocese has advised their schools to adopt the proposals, as I understand it.

If a Community Schools does not like the proposals then it can apply to become a Trust school. A number have said they intend to, but likely will be waiting to see the decision by Cabinet next week on this.'

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast