+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Experience and/or Higher Education in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Looks like a great job, in my area too. Times like this I wish I'd gone to uni....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts

Experience and/or Higher Education

Looks like a great job, in my area too. Times like this I wish I'd gone to uni.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    Gone to Uni?!?!?!?!?! Why?

I've been a Network Manager and not gone Uni...............

You could apply for it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    Yeah I suppose it wouldn't hurt to apply, either way, thanks for sharing

Thank Post
    Doesnt matter if someone has a degree/gone uni compared to a person who hasnt.

My last school I worked at I outperformed all my predecessors who were educated at a high level.

Never be put off chap.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,890 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Another non-degree person here ... a firm believer in the meritocracy of getting a job done and doing it well!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 935 Posts
    Another non-degree person here just because they mention it if you have the skills go and show them off

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    a firm believer in the meritocracy of getting a job done and doing it well!
    Top attitude +1

Thank Post
    Although a degree is not the be all and end all, it shows a certain level of competency and is advantageous when applying for jobs. I spent 12 years part time doing a BTEC ONC, BTEC HNC, BSc and MSc as well as Microsoft qualifications. It definately opens doors and allows you to negotiate higher wages.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeleys View Post
    Although a degree is not the be all and end all, it shows a certain level of competency and is advantageous when applying for jobs. I spent 12 years part time doing a BTEC ONC, BTEC HNC, BSc and MSc as well as Microsoft qualifications. It definately opens doors and allows you to negotiate higher wages.
    Don't agree

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanT View Post
    Don't agree
    I can only offer you my opinion based on 25 years of working experience and as someone who recruits staff in the education sector on a regular basis. I suppose it comes down to an individual's ambition of how far they want to go with their career. Again, based on my own experience, I would suggest that a degree helps in terms of salary and quality of school.

Thank Post
    I respect your opinion

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeleys View Post
    I can only offer you my opinion based on 25 years of working experience and as someone who recruits staff in the education sector on a regular basis. I suppose it comes down to an individual's ambition of how far they want to go with their career. Again, based on my own experience, I would suggest that a degree helps in terms of salary and quality of school.

I agree in part. However i don't believe ambition is linked with wanting to study. I think if you are ambitious you will find whatever way suits you to progress your career. A lot of people do place a large emphasis on being well educated, but having being on the occasional panel myself i am always more inclined to go with proven experience over educational background. We all know full well that a large quantity of MCSE/CCNA qualifications are crash courses and while you have the certification in your hands you may not know what you are doing. A degree is different of course, you can't exactly bimble through that, lol. I admire the way you've done it as well, takes a lot of dedication to stick at it that long. Although again it isn't proof that the knowledge gained can be applied. If you know what i mean.

I left uni without completing my degree as i couldn't stand learning the same material over and over again and it wasn't challenging me enough, so i took off with my HND and got a job as a trainee. Where the ambition came into it for me was progressing my career through hard work and experience, while picking up the odd certification here and there as the training was offered.

I think sometimes it also takes a bit of good fortune to get on the ladder and get to prove yourself in a job if you're not qualified.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    <thread> Spit from another thread to stop it going of topic </thread>
    Last edited by EduTech; 20th January 2010 at 10:55 AM.

Thank Post
    As someone who started my working life at a time when very few people got the chance to go to University & Grammar Schools were the order of the day I have managed to make my way in life with nothing more than an HNC & real-world experience, during which time I have helped train people with 1st Class degrees from Oxford, Cambridge, Durham Universities....

In my view, any employer who recruits based purely upon qualifications is being sort-sighted & may not be getting the best candidates for their vacancies. Sadly I know of many organisations that allow their HR depts to 'pre-filter' applicants based upon essential criteria which often includes qualifications, so many candidates get rejected because their experience never gets considered.

When we look for candidates to fill ICT vacancies at my school we do include minimum qualifications but I would never discount any candidate who has the real-world experience we are seeking even if they don't have the paper qualifications. I have seen too many people who had the bits of paper, could 'talk the talk' but were completely clueless when it came to doing the job.

Give me experience anytime....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuffkins View Post
    I agree in part. However i don't believe ambition is linked with wanting to study. I think if you are ambitious you will find whatever way suits you to progress your career. A lot of people do place a large emphasis on being well educated, but having being on the occasional panel myself i am always more inclined to go with proven experience over educational background. We all know full well that a large quantity of MCSE/CCNA qualifications are crash courses and while you have the certification in your hands you may not know what you are doing. A degree is different of course, you can't exactly bimble through that, lol. I admire the way you've done it as well, takes a lot of dedication to stick at it that long. Although again it isn't proof that the knowledge gained can be applied. If you know what i mean.

I left uni without completing my degree as i couldn't stand learning the same material over and over again and it wasn't challenging me enough, so i took off with my HND and got a job as a trainee. Where the ambition came into it for me was progressing my career through hard work and experience, while picking up the odd certification here and there as the training was offered.

I think sometimes it also takes a bit of good fortune to get on the ladder and get to prove yourself in a job if you're not qualified.
    I agree about having experience, you would have to take everything in to account and take everyone on their own merit. Having qualifications, experience and being a hard worker would make a very good candidate. I have met many people on courses that have tried to bimble along and have failed miserably.

I would say that both my degrees have been very beneficial in terms of knowledge of how and why we do things (probably in a in a perfect world though) where as my experience has shown me how things are done in reality. I think that they do compliment each other. I do think though, that I wouldn't have been considered for the job I have at the moment without the degree and also for the job I am about to go for.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast