+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Ummmmmmmmmm in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi Guys, Just wanted to know guys, do any of you have any college guys come in from college for ...
    @ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post

Ummmmmmmmmm

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to know guys, do any of you have any college guys come in from college for a day or something to get some experience, as I am thinking of running somethink like that here.

Thanks,

Thank Post
    We tried, as a way of getting a techy on the cheap, but in the end we had to create a proper post and pay someone

Thank Post
    Im putting the word bout that if anyone is interested in working maybe 1 day a week to gain some experience, ping me over a cv or something and I will see what the head says.

Thank Post
    Hello Ian ,
    What sort of work experience will this be ??
    Thanks ,
    Swati.

Thank Post
    odd jobs here and there, general support

Thank Post
    we generally have an apprentive every year (this is only my first year but im told we have one every year) and throughout the year the 6th form that are doing ICT at A-level/similar course there more than welcome to come and shadow one of us throughout the day, obviously cant give them passwords or anything so we let the fix the projectors/image a laptop, build a pc if its quiet...

Thank Post
    We had a teachers relative in who'd just finished college and was finding it hard to find a job. He was useless, but hopefully your mileage will be better :P

Thank Post
    We currently have someone in on a Monday and Tuesday who is currently studying a Foundation degree at a local college.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    We currently have someone in on a Monday and Tuesday who is currently studying a Foundation degree at a local college.
    Did they approach you or did you advertise?

Thank Post
    I pretty much got streamed right from secondary school to working for the school, installed the 3rd computer room in the space of 2 days during the summer holiday.
    After that I continued through college working 5hrs/week and then after college went in full time.
    Never had any formal training and still haven't.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by IanT View Post
    Im putting the word bout that if anyone is interested in working maybe 1 day a week to gain some experience, ping me over a cv or something and I will see what the head says.
    There'll no doubt have to go through a CRB check, but it sounds like a good idea. I'd like to see our place employ an apprentice technician. I'd love the opportunity to train someone up.

Trouble is, it all boils down to money and budgets at the end of the day, so I doubt it'll happen.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At my last place we operated a work placement for degree students from the local Uni in their sandwich year. They would start off as general labour at the beginning of the summer, learn the general ropes of the servicedesk, take on a few small projects, build up particular skills and they would also learn to do deployment, packaging, elements of change management, customer services ...

It was a case of ringing around the colleges and universities until we found one that had what we were looking for and what they were looking for.

Some were put off by the initial manual labour but we were able to replace them quite quickly.

However, the school was spending considerable time working with a student each year and the loss of knowledge and expertise was an issue ... so the school stopped the placements from this year and instead has employed more staff instead ... it was a phase in the school development that allowed them to deal with a laptop programme (in the process of being phased out as the computers for pupils scheme will deal with most of what we wanted to cover) but now they are focusing on other areas.

It is still a brilliant thing to do and the students involved a fantastic bunch. Some have even gone on to work in schools ... one doing tech support for Spuffmonkey and another is training to be a teacher ... well, you can't have everything.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanT View Post
    I'd love to but I'm in Leeds and your in Surrey

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It is a pitty you guys are in another country compared to myself.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    It is a pitty you guys are in another country compared to myself.
    Not everyone is. There are alot of temp/part time jobs with DET in the AU. If you are not already working in schools its an easy way to get your foot in the door.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information