+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, ICT Tech Interview Need Help Please in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi All, I got a interview coming up after Christmas Monday 11th January. For this interview i have got a ...

Thank Post

ICT Tech Interview Need Help Please

Hi All,

I got a interview coming up after Christmas Monday 11th January. For this interview i have got a 20 minute presentation and 40 minute interview. I am allright with interview tips because there are enough threads on this website (thanks to you lot). But the main poblem is i have to create a presentation on how:

1) "ICT technologies that are used in education to help students?"
    2) "and their benefits for students?"

the school is not providing much information about the presentation. What sort of stuff can i talk about in my presentation that the interviewers want to hear? I have recently graduated and i do not have any experince and this job is a graduate position and no experince is required but i don't know what sort of ICT technologies schools use and how students benefit from them. I would really appreciate it if you can provide some feedback.

Thanks in advance.
    Sam Taylor

Thank Post
    research Moodle , its a VLE most schools use .. try and find if they have it and explain the benefits ?

speak about web filtering systems such as OpenDns ? helps provide a safer enviroment for children surfing the net ?

Maybe also speak about how technology can help assist people with dissabilitys , Such as jaws , Magic etc.

3. Thanks to 2097 from:

samtaylor81 (14th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Virtual Learning Environments - VLEs such as moodle sharing resources and creating online courses
    Email
    IWB - Interactive Whiteboards Student participation
    Activ Expressions - hand held devices - look on promethean website
    Netbooks
    Classroom managment tools

5. Thanks to LukeC from:

Thank Post
    Thanks 2097 and LukeC for the advice i will take it into account. I really appreciate it. I fink it will be a good idea to talk about the following because the students benefit from them:

VLE - classroom handouts (benefit)
    Disabilities Software - makes things clear (benefit)
    IWB - Interactive Whiteboards Student participation (benefit)
    Activ Expressions - hand held devices - look on promethean website
    Netbooks
    Classroom managment tools

But stuff like filtering software comes under ICT Technician's benefits.

Thanks once again (i am new to this website found it through google this is a good website quick replies)

Thanks
    Sam Taylor

Thank Post
    VLE isnt used for classroom handouts really it is should be ideally used for students independtly working during the lessons or in groups or for those gifted and talented students, at home, or any were around the world. Work can be uploaded to moodle by the staff or student for it to be marked online. IT can also be used for away of accessing files off the school network off site can be usefull for those students that use the excuse "i didnt get the handout"

8. Thanks to LukeC from:

Thank Post
    sorry my mistake i tried to put VLE in short terms. I meant teachers can upload their notes on Moodle or Real Smart and students can access them from anywhere. Thanks once again for your help i really appreciate it.

Regards,
    Sam Taylor

Thank Post
    any more questions please feel free to ask

Thank Post
    cheers mate, Thanks you have made things much clear now.

Thank Post
    Online reporting: It's kind of a left-field approach, but ensuring parents have up-to-date info on how their kids's doing at school goes a long way towards helping the kid improve.

Collaboration with schools in other countries via the usual suspects (blogs, video conferencing, etc). We have a sports studies thing starting with a school in Ghana that'll be mostly done online.

There's lots of classroom-specific examples, but there's also a lot of whole-school examples. Were I you I'd pick 3-4 good examples and explore them thoroughly rather than try to rattle through them all.

Also point out the weaknesses of such approaches - i.e VLEs -- you have to ensure kids from poorer famililes / luddites aren't excluded - there are few kids prepared to stand up in front of their mates and say "Can I have a paper handout Miss, we don't have a computer at home?". (Yes, these can be addressed by the school via .gov funding).

13. Thanks to pete from:

samtaylor81 (15th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,636 Times in 1,825 Posts
    I have to say that if you are coming at it from a grad point of view, then perhaps you should make it as simple as you can: it all depends how big the school is but, for example, the biggest use of ICT technology that has made the biggest change for me ATM is the Interactive White Board - so maybe a bit of chat about that? Other than that - ICT is used extensively to teach such things as control systems - we use Lego robots here - and it helps disabled students.
    IMHO, VLEs are not yet used to their full potential in most schools and are therefore an example of a 'new' IT technology that is just beginning - bit of chat about what they can and will be able to do?

15. Thanks to witch from:

Thank Post
    Presentations? How depressing, I couldn't think of anything worse

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY View Post
    Presentations? How depressing, I couldn't think of anything worse
    If I could think of one thing I wouldn't want to do at an interview it'd probably be a presentation. This is a pretty bizzare method of interviewing for a tech job is it not?

Thank Post
    keep presentation simple just clean graphics, bullet points - don't do a death by powerpoint with animations etc as some people used to do to show they new how to use every feature in powerpoint
    good luck mark

19. Thanks to maark from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Presentations can be terribly dull ... and most people try to smarten them up by having flashy transitions. Don't!

Content and presentation is far more important and if you are trying to show how much you want to push the use of technology then try having it online with slideshare or make use of Prezi - The zooming presentation editor. You will need to make sure you have an internet connection available but it can work really well.

The fact that this is 'technician' role ... will you have a network manager above you or will you be doing that role (Becta Technical Competencies level D) but called less so they pay you a bit less? Will you be expected to have awareness of things that impact on teh strategy or actually be part of the strategy making process?

Will you be including your technical knowledge or expertise in this as one of the aspects that they will look for ... translating technical into educational and back again.

If you are talking VLEs and are not sure about what they use (if they use one) then talk about some of the tools you would expect to see within a VLE: Wiki, blog, forums, surveys, assessment and other elearning tasks, file storage, etc ... giving examples about how they are used to change how students learn (and subsequently how teachers teach).

Look at examples of alternative CPD for staff ... the creation or development of a group of ICT Pioneers who can cascade using technology within each department, online CPD, short examples of good practice shared by things like TeachMeets...

Try to also find out how the school plans to be sustainable with the use of technology. Funding to kit out a room with something nice is all well and good but what happens when that becomes mainstream ... an example from recent history is the IWB. A few may have been purchased as getting the ball rolling, but how do you deal with it when you have to deliver one to each classroom? How do you train staff in both the technology and adapting their teaching styles to make the most of it ... this has direct parallels with VLEs and Parental Engagement from present Govt agendas ... so it is really about lessons learnt from prior projects.

If I think of more things I'll add them in later.

21. 2 Thanks to GrumbleDook:

samtaylor81 (15th December 2009), tommej (15th December 2009)

Thank Post
    You need to keep the presentation simple. I doubt it will be your job to come in and start looking at the benefits of using computers in the curriculum as this is mainly looked at being the IT Co-ordinator's role. Unless there is someone who has the technical knowledge watching your presentation, going into how VLE, filters work and their benefits will mean little to people. If no experience is required, then you dont have to worry about knowing alot(or how to do it) but if you can show you have a knowledge of what things are available then you should be ok. And by the way although filtering is good for the IT tech, it benefits everyone by blocking inappropriate content for a school user.

Incidently showing that computers benefit the pupils can be something as obvious as saying that using computers cuts down on the number of times a pupil has to write a draft essay each time they update it. This can result in more time being spent on content rather than reproducing paper copies handwritten.

23. Thanks to penfold from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast