+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Check my CV? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I would also say (and *NO* disrespect to Witch and her skills) is that if you get a chance to ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would also say (and *NO* disrespect to Witch and her skills) is that if you get a chance to pass your CV in front of a similar position to those who will look at your CV then you can get some good feedback. If you are going to do it that way then also try to include the job description and personal specification as this can help people pick out particular skills or experience for you to highlight.

The main problem is that people don't get to see enough CVs to be able to give you good feedback but there are a few people on here who see them on a regular basis, or give advice to others about them.

As before ... happy to help, but I am more likely to be a help when you are applying for a specific job rather than the initial overhaul ...
    Last edited by GrumbleDook; 3rd December 2009 at 11:28 AM. Reason: stupid tyop!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Blog Entries
    thanks for the offer grumbledook, I sent you a PM

Carl

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just to say I have edited my post ... I made a tyop and meant to say *No* disrespect to Witch and her skills ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    Lol was just about to say I don't think witch would be too impressed with that lol

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    The main problem is that people don't get to see enough CVs to be able to give you good feedback but there are a few people on here who see them on a regular basis, or give advice to others about them.
    Absolutely, and as I said before you can get completely confused by all the advice. But I DO see a lot of CV's in my roles as Edugeeker, school IT governor x2 etc so hopefully I could be of help.

But certainly, if anyone knows someone who is in a similar position to the sort of person that might be interviewing, then that is always useful. Do remember though, that particularly in bigger organisations, less techy people might do an 'initial sift' of the CVs and that is where having the appropriate info on yours really helps.

Thank Post
    @ Witch

Why donít you charge for your services? Over time you must have done so many free of charge on Edugeek and everyone has praised you so highly. You could still do the Pro Bono for special cases for people who need it.

I for one would not ask you to go over my CV as it seems to me to be a liberty. I would be very happy to pay you to do it if I was in the job market. Since Iíve been a member here, Iíve always see you jump in but it must take up so much of your time.

7. Thanks to mrwobbly from:

witch (6th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    Thanks mrwobbly, you are very kind
    I really don't mind helping - I wouldnt charge as I have had so much helpful advice from the guys(and girls) on here that I feel it is 'giving something back' if that doesnt sound ridiculously syrupy. At the end of the day, if I were to charge I would need to do a much more thorough job than I am able to do on-line, with proper interviews or phone conversations to get a better idea of what the person has done, or could do, and what they are really like.
    As it is, I just offer a bit of help and hope it does some good.

And now, a confession - I have got confused - please could anyone who hasn't received an answer from me please email or pm. Two jobs, three kids, Christmas, rabbit who has had a stroke, dotty mother, Christmas (did I say that?) and I have lost my grip a bit!
    Ta

9. Thanks to witch from:

mrwobbly (6th December 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12