+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Network Manager Vacancy, Leicestershire in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; i went for it as well good luck AXE...

Thank Post
    i went for it as well good luck AXE

2. Thanks to notalot from:

AXE (23rd October 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AXE View Post
    It's not really appropriate to insist that a particular qualification is essential.
    Seems entirely appropriate to me that the person writing the job description should decide what is and what isn't essential...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OutToLunch View Post
    Seems entirely appropriate to me that the person writing the job description should decide what is and what isn't essential...
    Agreed.

AXE
    Thank Post
    I don't believe that in this case a requirement for a specific qualification is appropriate. Without making allowances for equivalent levels of qualifications\experience it's just another form of discrimination. These qualifications aren't available forever, they're not available to everyone, and not everyone has had the opportunity to sit a specific exam at a particular time.
    Last edited by AXE; 23rd October 2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Reading my post again, I should have said 'this or any case' speaking hypothetically.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 935 Posts
    Firstly good luck to anyone who has, but hate to be the -ive guy here, I was told when I was recruiting recently that if the applicant doesn't meet all your Essential ticks on the JD and Person Spec then you cannot short-list or recruit them, don't know if its a local thing or a national thing, now if you could vouch in experience instead then I don't care at all and know the gap is filled but maybe worth someone doing some digging / someone else with the knowledge saying something else.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @John

No such law in fact I would make sure that I challenged any HR person who said that for number of reasons.

As with a job you choose what is the best fit for your department and school. PS and JD are guides and that is all they are. As long as you can justify the choice over all the the other candidates then no problem

Ok if you choose candidate A over candidate B. If B ticked all essential and A didn't then you need a very good reason.

But If you choose A over B and both ticked all the essential apart from A was missing one tick. But A had slightly better technical skills and maybe you want someone with better technical skills.

Also think people might want to reread the PS

BTEC National, NVQ 3 or equivalent plus 1 year's relevant
    experience or minimum of 3 year's relevant
    experience/skills.
    So you need either 3 years experience or NVQ 3 and 1 Years experience.

Russ

8. Thanks to russdev from:

AXE (23rd October 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 935 Posts
    @Russ, interesting I was told if I remember correctly its the Safer Recruitment program that was the reason for this, but maybe I got duff info. In the case of the post I was working on the panel for, all candidates interviewed ticked the boxes so not an issue.

AXE
    Thank Post
    Forgive me for getting my facts all mixed up and jumping to conclusions. The topic of 'essential' criteria is sensitive for me. I was made redundant when the 'essential' criteria for my post was changed and I was not accepted as a candidate for my own job, you know the rest of the story.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    @Russ, interesting I was told if I remember correctly its the Safer Recruitment program that was the reason for this, but maybe I got duff info. In the case of the post I was working on the panel for, all candidates interviewed ticked the boxes so not an issue.

The problem with HR is the main function is to reduce risk and they do that by rules but sometimes rules are over the top.

This is classic example what benefit do we get by hiring someone that is not going to fit into the team etc all you get is someone that an ill fit that either is going to leave or have to be let get go.

Russ

12. Thanks to russdev from:

john (23rd October 2009)

Thank Post
    Forgive me for getting my facts all mixed up and jumping to conclusions. The topic of 'essential' criteria is sensitive for me. I was made redundant when the 'essential' criteria for my post was changed and I was not accepted as a candidate for my own job, you know the rest of the story.
    Getting mixed up happens but without wishing to appear rude if you've gone in and written a letter outlining why you don't meet the criteria which you now think you do you've probably talked yourself out of any chances you probably otherwise had.

I would seriously reconsider your perspective on this, and I know whilst many people have offered to help and some you have let, I PM'd you offering a hand and you completely ignored me.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Axe, the problem here is that you are working on a "fair" or "morally correct" basis. The world, unfortunately, doesn't work like that. I'm very much the same as you, most experienced people would be far, far better at some jobs than people qualified up to the eyeballs with little to no experience. But there could be reasons for that, some employers don't want to have to undo someone else's habits to start with.

The absolute most important thing to remember when looking for jobs is that you are now a freelances salesperson. You are selling yourself. You have your target market (your prospective employers) and you must sell yourself to them. Sales/marketing is also commonly known as "bullxxxx" - look at any Apple advert. Make yourself a Mac or an iPhone. Don't lie (although Apple do), but exaggerate a little if need be, as long as you have the means to back yourself up.

Just because you think something is right or fair, doesn't make you a good candidate. I'm singing from the same hymn sheet as you are, I suffer from the same problems, however in recent years I've learned to listen to what people are saying. Knowledge isn't knowing everything, it's knowing where to find out and who to ask.

It's difficult, but you need to keep plugging. If someone says something you don't like, soak it up, understand WHY that was said. Use that understanding for your own ends, make it work for you.

15. 3 Thanks to synaesthesia:

john (24th October 2009), kmount (24th October 2009), witch (3rd November 2009)

Thank Post
    Good post.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just wondering who got an interview for this in the end?
    Good luck if you did

AXE
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Just wondering who got an interview for this in the end?
    Not me.

gsk

Thank Post
    Not me.
    Maybe blank out personal bits of your app form and post it here? It might help for the future? Seems strange though. Isn't this the same job you used to do, or would it have been a promotion? Have you already posted your CV online? I'm sure that if anyone saw something and knew it was well matched to your CV that they'd let you know.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast