+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational IT Jobs Thread, ICT Technician Apprenticeship, Rutland in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Originally Posted by FN-GM Anyway, i thought it was agreed we wouldn't discuss poor pay like this? Indeed, that was ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Anyway, i thought it was agreed we wouldn't discuss poor pay like this?
    Indeed, that was my belief but it does seem that most adverts which attract discussion seem to be centric to pay when we all know that different areas, different jobs, different circumstances command different levels of pay. Whether we like it or not.

Don't mean to be stirring trouble up but I got more than that when I was working at a retail store and being an ICT tech is a lot more stressful. Ah well.
    Was your retail position an apprenticeship and give you a qualification at the end of it? If not, it's not a fair comparison.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nausey View Post
    Don't mean to be stirring trouble up but I got more than that when I was working at a retail store and being an ICT tech is a lot more stressful. Ah well.
    Very true but other than in-store health & safety, learning the specifics of that retail store you probably wont get a formal qual from it. If you're chasing money (it's very difficult not to) it probably is very tempting to work in a shop as opposed to undertake an apprenticeship. I would look at it as on-site learning as opposed to a job, you wont be expected to re-write Windows ME nor construct a network by yourself but you may get to watch how people do tougher tasks and will learn how to do things by doing as opposed to by reading, it may suit the less academic better - we're not all gods of math & furthermore some people just don't like being educated in schools & colleges.

People often wonder the best way to get into IT - this would certainly be it, doing quals through training providers with no prior knowledge (or job in IT) is absolutely useless unless you put it into your daily routine of work. Yes, you do have to do some lame jobs - but so do I as a manager, so does my senior technicians and so does my LM... that's a given in any job... I wonder how many sales teams like outbound calls and continual rejections, I wonder how many sales staff in a shop like getting a beasting over a dented can of beans?

I do agree, ICT is very stressful, schools are very much a nightmare it's continually busy throughout the day during term time, i guess this can be compared to shops with holidays/xmas/last minute buyers on a Sunday? I guess the other issue is progression, not many shops will have such a potentially varied path, IT apprentice doesn't mean you need to work in support in 5 years - you may find your ability is programming, systems administration or web design :-)
    Last edited by dwhyte85; 10th October 2009 at 12:04 PM.

Thank Post
    This is an amazing opportunity. I wish I had of been able to do something like this, instead of going to college. You learn so much more in a job role, than a college/uni environment. Id say Ive learnt more in 7 months working as an IT Tech then I did in 3 years of studying ICT at college. Also when finishing 3 years of studying IT, I found it so hard to get a job, as I had no real experience in the field. Which is exactly what you are gaining from a job like this. Anyone who wants to become and IT Tech, grab this opportunity.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12