+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, What Course to take??? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Im coming to the end of my NVQ Hopefully in November, and I was wondering what course I should be ...
    Thank Post

What Course to take???

Im coming to the end of my NVQ Hopefully in November, and I was wondering what course I should be looking at doing next, Ive got my eye on the CCNA course, but not sure when that starts. Also I was looking at a Foundation Degree in Computing..........

Year 1:

* The IT Practitioner
    * Business Applications Technology
    * Principles of Maintaining Computer Systems
    * Networking Theory, Practical & Concepts

Year 2:

* The Advanced IT Practitioner
    * Managing a Microsoft Server Environment
    * Routers and Routing Protocals
    * Work Based Learning 1

Year 3:

* Network + Systems Administration
    * Wide Area Networks
    * LAN Switching, VLANs and Wireless Networks
    * Work Based Learning 2

3 Years, 2 Evenings a week, starts Next month.

Progression:
    Final year of Honours Degree at Teesside University. Students will also be eligible to take the CISCO Academy exams if they desire.

Would this be worth 3 years at college for 2 evenings a week? or am I better off looking at the CCNA in more detail?

Or does anyone have any ideas of what I could progress to, I know its my own desision but just looking to get some Ideas from people who already have quals.

Cheers Guys

Thank Post
    Heya in same place as you, done NVQ 2 and 3 and I've started CCNA course. Its is definitely worth it, I've learned loads and people seem to think quite highly of it to. I dont know too much about the degree courses but i can say for 3 years if you have to go to evening courses two nights a week it will get boring very quickly, and youll want your free time helps.
    Hope it helps!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato-Peeler View Post
    Heya in same place as you, done NVQ 2 and 3 and I've started CCNA course. Its is definitely worth it, I've learned loads and people seem to think quite highly of it to. I dont know too much about the degree courses but i can say for 3 years if you have to go to evening courses two nights a week it will get boring very quickly, and youll want your free time helps.
    Hope it helps!
    Im just finishing the NVQ 2, and i was thinking of doing the NVQ 3, but im sick of the centre that im in as the treat you like you have just left school sometimes. so looking for something which is more towards what I want to do, and the CCNA i think might be the way.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmc View Post
    Im coming to the end of my NVQ Hopefully in November, and I was wondering what course I should be looking at doing next, Ive got my eye on the CCNA course, but not sure when that starts. Also I was looking at a Foundation Degree in Computing..........

Year 1:

* The IT Practitioner
    * Business Applications Technology
    * Principles of Maintaining Computer Systems
    * Networking Theory, Practical & Concepts

Year 2:

* The Advanced IT Practitioner
    * Managing a Microsoft Server Environment
    * Routers and Routing Protocals
    * Work Based Learning 1

Year 3:

* Network + Systems Administration
    * Wide Area Networks
    * LAN Switching, VLANs and Wireless Networks
    * Work Based Learning 2

3 Years, 2 Evenings a week, starts Next month.

Progression:
    Final year of Honours Degree at Teesside University. Students will also be eligible to take the CISCO Academy exams if they desire.

Would this be worth 3 years at college for 2 evenings a week? or am I better off looking at the CCNA in more detail?

Or does anyone have any ideas of what I could progress to, I know its my own desision but just looking to get some Ideas from people who already have quals.

Cheers Guys
    Nice man, sounds like something I wish I could have done when I went to University. Exactley the stuff I would wanted to have study by the 2nd year.

Definately do the foundation degree. I assume your be working during this time? = Added bonus then top up and get your honours degree at the end. Plus u cud do Cisco acadamy if your bothered by the end?

End of the day a degree is for life. CCNA isn't! Plus you open yourself up for alot more whether now or in the future as a graduate than someone with a CCNA IMO. For example graduate schemes.
    Last edited by Jiser; 17th September 2009 at 11:30 AM.

Thank Post
    Unless you work with Cisco kit i doubt a CCNA is going to do you much good. Unless an employer takes on CCNA's with absolutely no experience working with the kit out in the field.

If you had an MCSE and had never used a server outside your training you would be more of a liability than a use. Not really useful if you are looking for work and can't get the experience i know.

Thank Post
    Progressing through my MCSE at the moment and doing MCITP Exchange Administrator.

MCSE is distant learning, online classes, exams and lots of books clearly written. Very good infact, haven't had any difficulties yet.

MCITP is £20 second-hand book on Amazon + Free copy of Exchange 2007 32&64bit.

With my experience in various industries and roles. 1st, 2nd and 3rd in Education, Enterprise, NHS and now Medium Sized business, the above qualifications would add more weight to my existing experience and hopefully net me a lovely, well paid job. After completion and a couple of years here I will be looking at moving to Bristol and finding a field engineer role or consultant role.

Finding out about Prince2 qualifications at the moment as project management skills are quite handy, this new role is actually giving me my own projects, budgets, deadlines which is valuable experience for the future.

In my opinion, I'd work on current skills, Microsoft Accreditation is always going to be a bonus, even if people think they're a joke, employers know you've taken the time and effort and successfully passed 7 exams to again this accreditation.

Have also finished Foundation ITIL which is now a preferred wanted criteria

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information