+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, i need a job please help, i will even volunteer to gain experience in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; hi I am just out of college,however i have quite alot of experience. i have set up networks and servers ...
    Thank Post

i need a job please help, i will even volunteer to gain experience

hi I am just out of college,however i have quite alot of experience. i have set up networks and servers with 14 pc's and 32 users. i am also a field engineer.

my problem is i have applied for 4 it technician jobs and not even got an interview for one. (there are not many i can find in this area)

I guess as i do not have alot of experience i will be put at the bottom of the pile of applications.

Does anyone have any idea of any jobs like this in cambs, or norfolk (around kings lynn) or lincolnshire (around boston).

Secondly,if i can not get a paid job i thought i could voulnteer for 1 or 2 days a week in an it department as an it technician so i can then get some experience.

does anyone have any idea of where any jobs are or anyone who will take me on as a volunteer.

i do not mind travelling to northants or beds or herts. i am just desperate for an it technician job.

i have good experience of hardware diagnosis and fix as i am a field engineer.

thanks everyone

nick

Thank Post
    I wish you the best of luck, but without sounding too harsh only applying for 4 jobs and not getting an interview is not that many really, I applied for probably over 50 jobs before I got my current position, probably got interview for about half of them (and a few job offers that I actually turned down for various reasons, mainly because they were worse than the place I was working at the time) before I got the position I have now.

The secret is to broaden the sort of job you're applying for as much as possible, apply for jobs even if you think you might not get them - sometimes you'll be surprised and just keep at it, something will come along eventually. People over analyse job adverts and won't apply for some positions if there's just one thing on the ad that they don't have, I do it the opposite way round when I'm job hunting and if there's one thing on the ad that I can do, then I apply for the job.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,446 Posts
    I have a member of staffs son starting to do exactly this. Send me a pm I have an idea.

AXE
    Thank Post
    Keep trying, never give up. I'm sure you'll have far more success that I've had.

Thank Post
    If you want to volunteer, PM me, we can always do with a free volunteer. If you're interested, I'll have a word with my manager (SLT)

-ken

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wagnerk View Post
    If you want to volunteer, PM me, we can always do with a free volunteer. If you're interested, I'll have a word with my manager (SLT)

-ken
    +1 rep for being a nice guy

Thank Post
    thanks everyone for your help, i am very greatful

Thank Post
    Bart,

A bit of advice here from someone who has had to sort through a heap of CVs in the past, and I hope you don't mind me being critical.

Now you are applying for an IT job where attention to detail is critical, so get someone you respect to read over your CV.

You might be a nice bloke, but as usual first impressions count, and the very first impression that I got before even reading your post, was "whoever this is doesn't know how to use capitals."

Let me give you an example of why this may be important:

If you use a naming scheme for 200 PC's and you mess up the upper/lower of the name it will then create an issue if I am reporting on these PC's in a list. Give it a go and try upper/lower case sort in excel.

Then think something like a schools Management Information System(MIS), Can you imagine sorting a list or 1200 students alphabetically.

So I have probably made some grammar/spelling/capitalisation mistakes here myself, and please feel free to point them out.

But it's true first impressions really count.

Thank Post
    thanks everyone for your very good advice it is much appreciated. i hope i get an interview soon!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread